Coming out of first gear

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I have a 2005 GT with 5K miles. When I let my foot off the throttle while accelerating in first gear the gear shift lever pops out of first. !st through 4th gears walk when accelerating and letting the off off the throttle. Could this be the linkage or is it more likely the transmission?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
do you have the short shifter in your car?

it could be the cables not adjusted correctly .

Last edited:

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Yes I believe this car has the shorter shifters.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
open the clam shell follow the shifter cables to where they terminate there is a swinging arm with a round weight on it, put the car in first gear and go back to the tranny and see if you can further push the swinging arm to further engage 1st gear, is it continues to move a little then you know the cables are not adjusted properly.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I am not able to locate the shifter cables. Is there a reference point to help?

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm wondering if you have time for a phone call. I'll be happy to call you or my # is 925 787 7740.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I found the swing arm. Pretty hard to miss. The is no play in the shifter cable for first. The swing arm does move up and down. Is that normal? Could this be a synchro problem?

Last edited:

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
You my friend have a synchro problem... Very common and no replacement parts.. Unless someone has a spare tranny and has the part you need, core your broke one and order a new one...

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Take it from Mark. I'm sure he's broken a few!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Ouch. That is a bummer at only 5k miles.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
No doubt hard to diagnose over the Forum but sure telling signs you describe. And yes, we have broke a few...

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Just to make sure, you should check engine mounts and tranny mount for wear or being loose, as the engine moving excessively could cause your problem.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Mark - Are there replacement synchro parts that might fix his problem - assuming that is the case, once it's been torn down? One would assume if it isn't a shaft or fork or something peculiar to this trans, and that those particular parts are more common....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Mark - Are there replacement synchro parts that might fix his problem - assuming that is the case, once it's been torn down? One would assume if it isn't a shaft or fork or something peculiar to this trans, and that those particular parts are more common....

There are NO spare parts for these transaxles and trying to find parts in common with other trans has not been fruitful. Allegedly when Ford contracted Ricardo to build the transaxles, they asked how man Ford wanted. The next question was a breakdown of the spare parts to be manufactured - to which Ford replied, "none". Ford's policy in throughout the warranty period was one of R&R. The best source for spare parts is those (rare) cores that are around.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Does it pop out all the time? Frequently? Occasionally? When cold, but not when warm?

Does it slip out or does it pop out violently? Does it stay in gear if you hold the shift lever?

Does 1st engage normally? No grinding? Can you shift from 2nd to 1st while driving under 30 mph?

Do all the gates feel normal?

Have you changed the transaxle fluid every three years?

Last edited:

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Does it pop out all the time? Frequently? Occasionally? When cold, but not when warm?

Does it slip out or does it pop out violently? Does it stay in gear if you hold the shift lever?

Does 1st engage normally? No grinding? Can you shift from 2nd to 1st while driving under 30 mph?

It pops out occasionally when cold or hot.
It pops out violently
It stays in gear if I hold the shift lever.
It does not grind. Yes I can shift from 1st to 2nd while driving under 30 MPH
The gates feel normal.
Yes I have changes the transaxile fluid every three years.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yes I can shift from 1st to 2nd while driving under 30 MPH

You say 1st to 2nd, but can you downshift from 2nd to 1st while underway without any grinding? Grinding would, I think, be conclusive for a bad synchro. No grinding...I'd want to check every other possibility (even knowing that the experts here are indeed experts).

The workshop manual lists four possible sources and actions:

1. Loose powertrain/drivetrain mounting bolts. Tighten bolts.
2. Pilot bearing. Install a new bearing.
3. Internal component damage or wear. Install a new transmission.
4. Gear teeth worn or damaged. Install a new transmission.

Considering the magnitude of 3 and 4, I'd want to be very sure about 1 and 2.

If it was my car and I wasn't going to sell it, I would take an action that is not in the workshop manual: Don't decelerate in 1st gear! Meanwhile, be on the lookout for a used trans to have in case your trans goes further south. Hard to imagine a spare trans is ever going to lose value.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I'll check this. Thnaks

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
You say 1st to 2nd, but can you downshift from 2nd to 1st while underway without any grinding? Grinding would, I think, be conclusive for a bad synchro. No grinding...I'd want to check every other possibility (even knowing that the experts here are indeed experts).

The workshop manual lists four possible sources and actions:

1. Loose powertrain/drivetrain mounting bolts. Tighten bolts.
2. Pilot bearing. Install a new bearing.
3. Internal component damage or wear. Install a new transmission.
4. Gear teeth worn or damaged. Install a new transmission.

Considering the magnitude of 3 and 4, I'd want to be very sure about 1 and 2.

If it was my car and I wasn't going to sell it, I would take an action that is not in the workshop manual: Don't decelerate in 1st gear! Meanwhile, be on the lookout for a used trans to have in case your trans goes further south. Hard to imagine a spare trans is ever going to lose value.

Yes I can down shift without any grinding.
I'll check #1 and #2. BTW embarrassed to ask where is the pilot bearing on this transaxil?

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area

As first gear does pops out violently does that give you an insight as to the problem?