Coming out of first gear

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
BTW I want to thanks everyones input to solving this problem.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
What was determined to be the problem? Was it the synchro?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yes I can down shift without any grinding.
I'll check #1 and #2. BTW embarrassed to ask where is the pilot bearing on this transaxil?

The pilot bearing is at the end of the crankshaft. Part of the flywheel assembly. You have to pull the trans and clutch assembly to get to it. The pilot bearing and trans input shaft are repair parts, but given that your trans/clutch otherwise behave normally, this seems unlikely to be a cause of the problem.

As first gear does pops out violently does that give you an insight as to the problem?

What MarkH said. :(

Still, check all bolts and the motor mounts to be sure torque on the drivetrain isn't pulling it out of gear. And, since you have an after-market shifter, you want to be certain the linkage/cables are properly adjusted.

Maybe somebody can recommend a GT tech in the Bay Area, but I'd consider a drive down the coast to drop the car with Kendall for evaluation.

Good luck!

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I've been monitoring this thread to see if anything I could add. In my experience with other transmissions/transaxles, I wouldn't have suggested that a syncho could cause a popping out of gear. I believe the sole purpose of the synchro is to help spin up the gear to match speeds with the main shaft - but doesn't (typically) have a maintain engagement function. But, as Mark has been inside of these transaxles more than anyone I know, I will bow to his knowledge.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
The pilot bearing is at the end of the crankshaft. Part of the flywheel assembly. You have to pull the trans and clutch assembly to get to it. The pilot bearing and trans input shaft are repair parts, but given that your trans/clutch otherwise behave normally, this seems unlikely to be a cause of the problem.

What MarkH said. :(

Still, check all bolts and the motor mounts to be sure torque on the drivetrain isn't pulling it out of gear. And, since you have an after-market shifter, you want to be certain the linkage/cables are properly adjusted.

Maybe somebody can recommend a GT tech in the Bay Area, but I'd consider a drive down the coast to drop the car with Kendall for evaluation.

Good luck!

Can you give me the Ph # for Kendall. I tried to Google him without luck.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
(661) 254-7948 :biggrin

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Paul, I got your email and responded. PM'd you my cell number as well.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Mark was right. It was the 1st gear synchro. After a long search an as new 1st gear has been sourced and we are starting the rebuild.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Just wanted to give you an update. The transaxle has been rebuilt and its back home. Again Mark was correct. First gear was the problem. The gear was OK but the synchro on the gear was thrashed. We sourced a new gear. The cause was the transaxle was not properly installed from the factory causing first synchro to prematurely wear. Kyle Millen was in charge of the project and did a great job.

rsstopper

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2006
Arizona
Just wanted to give you an update. The transaxle has been rebuilt and its back home. Again Mark was correct. First gear was the problem. The gear was OK but the synchro on the gear was thrashed. We sourced a new gear. The cause was the transaxle was not properly installed from the factory causing first synchro to prematurely wear. Kyle Millen was in charge of the project and did a great job.

I've had trouble with 1st gear since new. It ALWAYS 'crunches' into 1st until the transmission is fully up to running temp... which takes a while. My Ford wrench said it's normal for a Ricardo box... but I think he's wrong. No one would build it that way intentionally.

I just baby it until warmed up but am fearful when it needs repair. I understand there are no parts available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had trouble with 1st gear since new. It ALWAYS 'crunches' into 1st until the transmission is fully up to running temp... which takes a while. My Ford wrench said it's normal for a Ricardo box... but I think he's wrong. No one would build it that way intentionally.

I just baby it until warmed up but am fearful when it needs repair. I understand there are no parts available.

My car has a catch going from 1 to 2 when cold, after engine warms up it's OK. I'm told that is normal. But I've never had any problem getting into first.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Ditto, my car is hard going into 2nd when cold, but after a minute or so, it works more smoothly. That is very common in our cars. With the torque of that wonderful engine, I just shift from 1st to 3rd for the first minute or two. Not being able to use 1st would be a lot more inconvenient.

rsstopper

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2006
Arizona
Ditto, my car is hard going into 2nd when cold, but after a minute or so, it works more smoothly. That is very common in our cars. With the torque of that wonderful engine, I just shift from 1st to 3rd for the first minute or two. Not being able to use 1st would be a lot more inconvenient.

That's exactly the problem I have.. including the 2nd to 1st downshift. I do the same... skip to 3rd and wait for a complete stop before shifting to 1st.

Once everything is warm... problem goes away.

Thanks!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Every car has the mild grind from 1st to second when cold. One way to deal with it, is learn to "blip" mildly when up shifting to line things up, while shifting slowly. I have no grind when doing this. Its basically a "double clutch" but with out actually pressing in the clutch.