New 05 GT owner

68GT500KR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2007
Hello, I wanted to introduce myself. I am buying (have bought) a 05 GT. It is stock and that is what I was looking for. Any tips or things to know? I should have asked before but hey, purchase done now time to figure everything out.

I am really happy to be able to be in a group with experience with GTs. I have been similarly involved with forums for other vehicles I have had and appreciate the enthusiasts that are on these forums.

Thanks again and have a good one,
Edward

Tomcat

GT Owner
Welcome and enjoy the ride...DRIVE!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would start by reading all the topics in the tech area. There is lots of info there.

Use search! In a forum as old as this - the start of GT time - you can almost be certain that any question (especially tech) has already been asked.

Congrats on the car.

Now for the advice:

1. They are a handful. I think you're in the Shelby Mustang forum (if not I've confused you with someone else with a similar user name, sorry) but the only thing common between a Mustang and a GT is a Ford badge on the front.
2. The factory tires suck. Just like the GT500s the original F1 tires are hard as hockey pucks until warmed up. Most people use Bridgestones. Search for TIRES and you'll find the main topic.
3. Like the Mustang, many mods are possible. The short throw shifter is a very nice as are other cosmetic/personal choice mods like mufflers.

Gauges are very problematic. Replacements from Ford are expensive. The original manufacturer now offers replacements for all but the larger ones (speedo and tach) but they also fail. Some people have preemptively switched the entire gauge pod over to the set from Speedhut.

Good luck! And be careful for the first few drives.

Last edited:

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Hi Edward,

Welcome. Congrats on your purchase of a car that is everyone's favorite on the site. And there are many other nice car/vehicles that are owned here.

This web site has a wealth of information about the car, its maintenance, modifications people have done, vendors who provide a variety of services; local and regional meetings, and then the annual FORD GT Forum Rally.

Search for info seem easiest with Google. Your subject matter of interest + Ford GT Forum normally work.

An message to DBK, our founder/leader should change you from spectator to GT Owner.

Annual or lifetime Forum membership provides you with a some extra abilities over non-membership.

And pictures of your new GT are always encouraged..Again, welcome.:thumbsup

Bruce

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Welcome Aboard!! :thumbsup

The FAQ Sub-Forum of the "05-06 Ford GT Tech" Section (http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/59-Ford-GT-F-A-Qs) is a good place to start.

:cheers

I would also suggest becoming a "Subscribed" Member, as this opens up some additional sections.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Welcome.

I don't know what else you have, but be prepared for a ton of attention.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Welcome to the GT club and get ready for many hours of great reading.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Wow- joined in 2007?!?

Anyway- congratulations! I would love to see pics of your KR sometime.

Last edited:

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Congrats. Enjoy her. Pics? Color? Location?

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Congrats and suggest you view videos on new ownership on this site.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/24457-Historic-Ford-GT-Videos

Last edited:

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Welcome to our crazy little group, wow, wait you've been a member since 2007. You should know how crazy we all are. Enjoy your Ford GT with this group.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Welcome and congrats.
Be careful with the right pedal until you get some seat time.
Best,
Mark

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Welcome and congratulations to your new and exciting toy. There's lots of fun ahead. If you have any questions, THIS is the place to ask, best bunch of car guys you can find and also great when meeting on a personal level.

Matthias

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
You will love this car. Have fun. Be safe.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Awesome forum!
Awesome friends

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Congrats... did you spend 9 years as a spectator? Glad you made the leap into the best car and car club in the world!

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
1. Don't freak out the first time the car throws an idiot light.
2. Doing an oil change is complicated but you get used to it.
3. Don't drive it like you stole it unless going in a straight line.
4. A good battery tender is your friend!
5. The GT Guys know a ton
6. 2 is better than 1!
7. Getting them in and out of a trailer takes time and patience and I'm not joking. Take your time if you ever need to do this.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Congrats and welcome to this crazy crewe. First bit of advice is to drive the damn thing! How many miles are on it now? Put miles on it frequently and you will avoid the gremlins that appear when equipment isn't used regularly. They are relatively cheap to maintain, especially if you do some of your own maintenance. Don't "save it for the next guy."

Next bit of advice is to be damn careful when you back up. You probably already have realized that rear visibility sucks. I and many others here have banged up the diffuser by backing over something we couldn't see, like a parking block or curb. Consequently, a camera is a very useful addition. Visibility to the right rear quarter is even worse, so approach off-angle intersections as close to a right angle as you can, so you can see traffic approaching from the right. Others have told you to be careful applying throttle in a turn, so I won't belabor it again.

Third, find the car show events in your area and go show it off. Where do you live?

By the way, RED is the fastest color!

Last edited:

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
By the way, RED is the fastest color!

Concur....