1965 F100 pickup

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
About once a year I like to take on a car project. Last year it was my '67 GTX with 572 cross-ram hemi. The year before that, it was a 1968 Charger (father-son project/gift for him). This year's project was my 1965 F100 pickup, which just finished a frame-off restoration. This pickup was a gift from my father-in-law. It was purchased around 1969 or so by his brother, who died many years ago, and then the pickup went to my father-in-law. They drove it around their family farms for years, and then my FIL started to restore it in the early 1990s, but then lost interest or something, and then it was parked in a field for a couple of decades. Anyway, he decided that if somebody didn't fix it up soon, it wasn't going to be worth fixing up before long. So, he gave it to me, knowing how I love to make foolish financial decisions with vehicles.

The shop that did all of the work was Muscle Car Creations, in Tea, SD. They did a fantastic job! The only problem is it is almost too nice to drive now. Almost!

Out of respect for my wife's family, I didn't want to go too crazy with mods. I wanted a truck that looked almost completely original, at least to the casual observer. Of course, I couldn't resist adding a few stealthy touches to increase the performance, so the original 352 (largest engine available for this pickup in 1965) received the crank and heads from a 428 (so now it is a 410 cubic inch engine), and a four-barrel intake manifold/period correct carburetor. I love the way the engine builder machined the original oil-bath air cleaner to house a new-style gauze filter and 4-bbl carb, so I don't have to mess around with the oil-bath, and it still looks original. Now I wish we went with a bit bigger cam, but even so, it now dynos at 325 hp/ 425 tq (a respectable jump from the 208 factory hp). I made a few other concessions- dual-reservoir master cylinder for safety, dual exhaust, and power steering. Pretty fun to drive now, with the old three-on-the-tree transmission.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
AWESOME!!! Great job! Love the story and background too! Thanks for sharing.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
A "before" picture, with two of my sons. As you can see, it was a pretty solid pickup to begin with:

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Beautiful truck. Thanks for sharing. Great story.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Very nice .... I always enjoy seeing your car Projects .... with the "foolish financial decisions with vehicles" it sounds a little like we are related :biggrin:frown:rofl:rofl

:cheers
Anders

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Great job. Love it!

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Love it!!! From the looks of your location I bet the younger boy drives it around also.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Just fantastic! Does it have an extended bed?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Love it!

Ralphie

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Looks great Clint. Are those Lincoln wheel covers in the "before" picture?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Very impressive results.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I like it. And I like hearing those kind of stories. Especially "foolish financial decisions" in respect to cars, I guess most of us can relate:)

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Love it!!! From the looks of your location I bet the younger boy drives it around also.

Thanks, Rick! The photo I think you are referring to is just down the road from my parents place, where I got the engine running for the first time, and we just took it down the road and .... Unfortunately ran out gas. I snapped that picture while we were waiting for my dad to come with the gas can. I actually live on the edge of town, but yes, little Ryan does love to idle around in my cars, but he is still too short to drive my manual transmission cars. He can't wait- he wants more than anything to drive something with a "stick shift". For now, he has to stick with Forza and Gran Turismo.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Just fantastic! Does it have an extended bed?

It has the regular bed length, which was pretty long by today's standards. There was a short bed option, I think the two lengths available were 6.5 feet and 8 feet. I believe that the majority of them were made with the 8 foot box. I wish it was the shorter box. This thing sure takes up a lot of real estate in the garage.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Looks great Clint. Are those Lincoln wheel covers in the "before" picture?

Sharp eye, as usual, Paul! You are correct. My father-in-law put those on the truck many years ago. I drove this thing around for several months in that condition, just having a bit of fun with it, before the restoration began. Thanks.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Thank you everybody, for the kind words.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
A Beauty for sure my first ride was a 65 F100

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great job!! I too have a thing for the old F100 trucks but I can't say they are stock. Great story

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
What a beautiful truck and a story well worth preserving. Excellent post.

Chip

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Truck looks fantastic I love it , I'm in process of restoring a 1964 F100 4 x 4 which will be my first auto restoration. (I've done some motorcycles in the past) but having fun with this truck. In fact I listed it as my "historical Ford" on the new GT apllication :)