Pericak (Ford): “The Ford GT Had to be a Global Effort”

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/periciak-ford-the-ford-gt-had-to-be-a-global-effort/

Ford began a new chapter last weekend in Daytona with the competition debut of the Ford GT, one of the most highly anticipated new factory programs to enter top-level sports car racing competition in recent years.

While the maiden run for the pair of Ford Chip Ganassi Racing-run entries was marred with numerous mechanical gremlins, both cars got the finish, in what proved to be a valuable learning exercise for both team and car heading into the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June.

Sportscar365 caught up with Ford Performance boss Dave Perciak on the eve of the Rolex 24 for a wide-ranging Q&A, including insight into the Ford GT’s development and the possibility of customer cars in the future.

Was an EcoBoost engine always planned for the Ford GT?

“It’s been EcoBoost from day one. It’s just a testament to the technology we have with EcoBoost, leveraging this platform to take EcoBoost to the next level.

“That’s why we immediately kicked off the Daytona Prototype program with Chip Ganassi, to get [the engine] into the race circuit and start figuring it out what it’s going to take to make it successful.

“We obviously did that with winning [the Rolex 24] last year, the Twelve Hours of Sebring and others.”

continued....

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Great read... GO FORD!!!!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
saw a quote from Mr. Pericak:

when asked about this years 4 car Le Mans effort - "you can't be 1-2-3 with a 2 car team"

Go Blu!

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Good one, Jeff.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
great answer! plus you can't be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th with 2 cars...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Good article. He says they can't stop someone from buying a new GT & going racing. I never thought about it but I'm sure it could happen. Not with my new GT though!

Ed

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
HotRod.com has a good article by Elena Scherr about the Daytona experience and Ford's overall racing plans.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
I could be wrong but do you think there could be resentment that ford has torward the chevrolet racing program? Like how they've been leveraging larger displacement engines for mpg? Ford should be far and beyond in that aspect with all the aluminum and carbon fiber introduced. And really that the whole premise of racing and pushing the development that ford hasn't had in quite awhile.

I know they said there's no chance of entering the prototypes but I hope they can get into other tech including the turbo tech.