Engine warm up before driving time/temp?

Just out of curiosity, do you warm your car up from cold before driving it? I know it's a "modern" car and you can probably drive it after just a few seconds, but is it a good idea to warm it up?

If you let it warm up, for how long and/or to what coolant temperature?

Is it a bad idea to let it idle until the thermostat opens (ca 160 degrees)? Does it run rich while idling from cold (perhaps that washes the oil off cylinder walls)?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You mean like sitting on the driveway? I haven't done that since the 60's. It takes way longer to warm up at idle than just being ginger with it until it gets to temp. In Vegas in the summer warming up is almost instantaneous. This time of year, it's up to normal temp in about 2 miles. That's OK since the transmission is also catchy 1-2 until it warms up, and it also helps the tires get a little more sticky.

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
Ten min. rule

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I just drive, keeping my RPM's at the low end (1500 ish) until up to normal operating temps before getting aggressive with the throttle.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
It’s a dry sump motor.
Yes let it warm up always

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
It’s a dry sump motor.
Yes let it warm up always

I used to do a 15 min routine until 160; first 3-5yrs

I do about 5min now and go easy

If your near an exit and basically go from driveway 500yds, to ramp high RPMs, to freeway at 65mph I would do it.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
It will warm up faster if you just drive it away after starting, and you will waste less fuel. Be gentle until the temp gets to 150 or so. After that, WFO.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Nope. I make sure there is oil pressure is showing (30sec), and go. I drive very conservatively until operating temp is reached.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Depends on the ambient temp.
I like to warm for 5-10 mins and drive gently until fluids are at temp.
Mark

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Push the red button and go. Takes anywhere from two to 10 miles to warm up..depending on ambient temperature. And as with any engine, don't twist up the rpm's quickly, until everything including the driver is warmed up.

Transmission, particularly with a cooler, takes much longer than engine or supercharger coolant to warm up. You'll know when transaxle fluid is warm, transaxle will be quieter and gear selection will become smooth.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I always let mine run about two minutes then take it easy till I see 160 degrees or so

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I run it for a minute or two and then go easy until it hits temps. Transmission is much more of an issue - as it grinds between 1-2-3 until warm, unless you take an extended time between shifts, or double clutch. This is on 3 GT's that that I have driven...

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
In my experience, dry sump motors take longer to get the oil to temp then wet sump setups.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Yes, there's more oil inside the system.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
5-10 min idle warm up and then its full stoked mode as I drive out.

Vince H

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I let everything warm up from the GT to the race car to the F250 pulling the trailer. Can't hurt .

But what about a rich mixture washing oil off the cylinder walls?

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Get on a GT motor before it's ready and you will blow cooling lines. I've done it and it's a mess. Good dose of humility.

Transmission loves heat.....to a point.