B1 Bomber For Sale

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
A B1 bomber was in here (Billings, MT) doing practice approaches and touch and go's. On one of the landings the pilot sets his brakes on fire. He taxis in, and the airport parks him on a taxiway and then puts cones around him until parts and mechanics can be brought in from Ellsworth AFB, Rapid City SD, the next day. The next day is a Saturday, which doesn't have much going on, so we get to laughing in the tower that maybe somebody should hang a For Sale sign on the plane. We convince one of our guys who's well known for doing things like this that it would be a good idea.

So he takes off for the hardware store to buy a "For Sale" sign. On the way back he stops at a car dealer and gets one of those "As is/No Warranty" signs that hang in all used cars. On that sign was written something like low miles, new engines, needs brakes and tires. Those signs were taped together, and off goes our hero.

He climbs over the fence, leaving some skin on the barbed wire, and makes his way the 1000 feet or so to the aircraft. As he's doing that, we see a couple of airport vehicles starting to gather with the recently arrived mechanics as well as the plane's crew. Not looking good for our intrepid airplane salesman. He gets to the nose wheel and tapes the sign to the nose strut.

Then he starts to make his way back from the plane as the vehicles start to head out from the shop on the way to the bomber. Somehow he makes it without being seen.

The vehicles arrive at the plane, and of course notice the sign right away. The Air Force guys are in stitches, funniest thing they've seen in a long time. Airport guys are not sure what to think. Airport management is livid as they've been tasked with security.

Pretty soon a camera appears and all the Air Force guys are taking pictures of each other by the sign.

Our hero is back in the tower now, and notices the bomber's commander is talking on a cell phone. Our guy gets on the radio to the airport truck and asks for that guy's phone number. As soon as he finishes that call, our guy calls the aircraft commander. When he answers, our guy says "I'm calling about the plane you have for sale." Aircraft commander about falls over from the laughter. It just so happened that the chief photographer for our local newspaper is a pilot and he may have been called prior to the sign being placed.

He was told to get up here with a big lens. Here's one of the pics he got:

View attachment 40813

An article showed on the front page of the Sunday paper. When that came out, the Colonel running Ellsworth called the airport director and read him the riot act, wondering what kind of dog and pony show he was running up there. We were later informed by the crew that the sign was framed and is now permanently mounted inside the aircraft. Hard to have that kind of fun anymore.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Great story Ralphie!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Fun story, but the poor security is extremely troubling.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
That was good, especially on a Monday.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Is there a close-up or telephoto shot of the sign?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
That's classic. You'd be amazed at some of the stunts we pulled with military aircraft (never anything damaging or dangerous) at airshows over the years. Back when the original stealth fighter was still a big deal and guarded in a hanger all the time I delivered food and drinks to the airmen guarding the hanger and they let me in to examine and photograph the plane. Not exactly iron clad security.

Chip

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Is there a close-up or telephoto shot of the sign?

This is about as much as I can blow it up - try contacting the Billings, MT, newspaper.

View attachment 40819

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you google "b1 bomber billings" this shows up as happening about 2000 (a 2014 article mentions 14 years ago). The one article is mostly what was posted above so my guess is its making a circle.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-b-1b-bomber-that-got-put-up-for-sale-as-is-no-war-1636448597

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
That's classic. You'd be amazed at some of the stunts we pulled with military aircraft (never anything damaging or dangerous) at airshows over the years. Back when the original stealth fighter was still a big deal and guarded in a hanger all the time I delivered food and drinks to the airmen guarding the hanger and they let me in to examine and photograph the plane. Not exactly iron clad security.

Chip

I'll buy the wine Chip if you will tell your stories. I'd love to hear them. :)

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
This is about as much as I can blow it up - try contacting the Billings, MT, newspaper.

Thanks Ralphie