Anyone own a BMW i3 or VW eGolf ?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Looking to lease a new EV for my wife. Her driving cycle is ideal for one and I like the tech. Leasing because tech will be much different in 2 years. Just wondering what you guys think about these two options. The VW is ideal with 4 doors since she drives the kids around twice a day. The BMW is much cooler and futuristic looking. Either of these can be had with nice discounts. I can get the VW $10K off and about $7500 off the BMW.

No interest in a Volt. Would not hate a Focus EV but MN dealers can't sell nor service them which creates an issue.

Second question is I would have to lease the VW from an out of state dealer since MN is not in the VW e network. Any issues there? My local dealer just got a tech so they can do service on them, just can't sell them.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"MN dealers can't sell nor service them..."
??

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Correct. The Focus EV is only sold on the west and east coast. I As such there is no dealer network to service them within about 1000 miles of MN.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I would get the dealer to let me have one for a couple of days when it hits -20 degrees. Should be any day now.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Point well taken, Gary. This would be a 3 season car. Plenty of other cars suited for winter driving in the garage! Even at worst case scenario, her route is about 20 miles and most of the EV are only seeing about a MAX 30% range loss in extreme cold.