Tie rods self made

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Having had problems with the original sloppy tie rods, I decided to have some made myself.
Racing rod end bearings, machined iron bushings and mounts should keep the old girl steady.

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

Last edited:

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Great workmanship!! You gonna be able to send us some over here??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks..

I'm sure it's easier and cheaper to have some made locally.
Perhaps someone US based on the forum could pick up on the idea and produce them for members??

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Wow-the design is superb! I have always questioned the integrity of the OEM link. the bend always looked weak to me and I never liked the way the bushing end floated on the knuckle. plus it was basically designed from the 02/05 Thunderbird and Lincoln LS. although from what I've been told, they used the OEM part on the 2017 GT mule cars as well.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
And sneek preview of the poly urethane whish bone bushing going in as well :)

IMG_3108.jpg

Coming soon... :wink

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I have always questioned the integrity of the OEM link. the bend always looked weak to me and I never liked the way the bushing end floated on the knuckle. plus it was basically designed from the 02/05 Thunderbird and Lincoln LS. although from what I've been told, they used the OEM part on the 2017 GT mule cars as well.

The subject part is a direct 'lift' from the Lincoln LS and Jaguar which shared a platform at that time. It's a robust piece; curiously, do you have any data that would indicate to the contrary?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I have no documentation or FE data on the part but I've seen quite a few that were folded up on wrecked cars. from a compression or tension standpoint the part works good. I just have to wonder how much stress analysis and bend were measured for such a critical control part for a supercar. for a Tbird and LS I'm sure it's more than adequate but then again if it's being used on the NGT, it must be OK. all jmo

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
The subject part is a direct 'lift' from the Lincoln LS and Jaguar which shared a platform at that time. It's a robust piece; curiously, do you have any data that would indicate to the contrary?

Well I for many has found these links to develop play in the inner ball section.
Might be OK for the average owner, but when TT'ing and taking the GT to the track, the old Lincoln unit s not strong enough.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I'd put your part on every GT I own

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
cool part! show us a photo of it installed on your GT!

Ed

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Ford Design Analysis

My thoughts as well. I am always amazed at others who know more about designing safety critical (the steering tierods serve a critical steering function) components on high performance cars than the Ford design engineers. Not that new tierods cannot be designed and made to carry higher steering loads, but is it necessary?:confused

The tierods designed and pictured by one of 101 look fantastic and likely can handle higher loads. The spherical bearings at each end are beautiful and provide inner and outer length adjustment thru threaded engagement in the tierod barrel. From an OE perspective under a very compressed design timeline (designed, developed and launched in 24 months), weight and cost targets it certainly makes perfect sense to borrow components from other product lines with a known history and structural adequacy. During my design career I was always reminded that Better is the enemy of Good Enough.

As to the structural adequacy issue, I am most certain that the Ford suspension designers instrumented critical suspension components to determine road and race track loads. Due to the high performance/speed nature of our GT’s and the risk adverse stance of corporate liability, I am again sure a large safety factor (load to fail the component/maximum operating load) was applied to the design to keep the lawyers happy.

I have no documentation or FE data on the part but I've seen quite a few that were folded up on wrecked cars. from a compression or tension standpoint the part works good.

Scott, I do not know where or how you would gain access to internal Ford documentation of the loads or Finite Element (FE) analysis the design team used to analyze the tie rod. As documented in SAE publication 2004-01-1255, “Design and Analysis of the Ford GT Spaceframe”, Ford used a number of analytical structural analysis programs (HyperMesh, NASTRAN and LS-DYNA) to design and insure component structural adequacy. Design loads were measured using test mule vehicles. Just because you see tierods which are “folded up on wrecked cars” implies nothing as to the component design for satisfying its intended function. Aircraft which crash into the ground due to pilot error can appear pretty “folded up” as well, but it means nothing about the aircraft structure while it is flying within its design envelope. Engineers typically do not design a component to function after design ultimate or crash loads have been applied.

I just have to wonder how much stress analysis and bend were measured for such a critical control part for a supercar. for a Tbird and LS I'm sure it's more than adequate but then again if it's being used on the NGT, it must be OK. all jmo

Well, perhaps you should go read the SAE report 2004-01-1255 to answer your question on how much stress analysis and bend (?) was conducted on the FGT design. For that matter you and others with a technical interest should read the full 11 report suite of technical reports published under SAE PT-113. Very good technical documentation on our cars design.:thumbsup

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
I'd probably rather have a cheap(ish) rod bend and use up some crash energy, than it transferring it to a more expensive part.

That said, One of 101's are lovely :)

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
My thoughts as well. I am always amazed at others who know more about designing safety critical (the steering tierods serve a critical steering function) components on high performance cars than the Ford design engineers. Not that new tierods cannot be designed and made to carry higher steering loads, but is it necessary?:confused

The tierods designed and pictured by one of 101 look fantastic and likely can handle higher loads. The spherical bearings at each end are beautiful and provide inner and outer length adjustment thru threaded engagement in the tierod barrel. From an OE perspective under a very compressed design timeline (designed, developed and launched in 24 months), weight and cost targets it certainly makes perfect sense to borrow components from other product lines with a known history and structural adequacy. During my design career I was always reminded that Better is the enemy of Good Enough.

As to the structural adequacy issue, I am most certain that the Ford suspension designers instrumented critical suspension components to determine road and race track loads. Due to the high performance/speed nature of our GT’s and the risk adverse stance of corporate liability, I am again sure a large safety factor (load to fail the component/maximum operating load) was applied to the design to keep the lawyers happy.

Scott, I do not know where or how you would gain access to internal Ford documentation of the loads or Finite Element (FE) analysis the design team used to analyze the tie rod. As documented in SAE publication 2004-01-1255, “Design and Analysis of the Ford GT Spaceframe”, Ford used a number of analytical structural analysis programs (HyperMesh, NASTRAN and LS-DYNA) to design and insure component structural adequacy. Design loads were measured using test mule vehicles. Just because you see tierods which are “folded up on wrecked cars” implies nothing as to the component design for satisfying its intended function. Aircraft which crash into the ground due to pilot error can appear pretty “folded up” as well, but it means nothing about the aircraft structure while it is flying within its design envelope. Engineers typically do not design a component to function after design ultimate or crash loads have been applied.

Well, perhaps you should go read the SAE report 2004-01-1255 to answer your question on how much stress analysis and bend (?) was conducted on the FGT design. For that matter you and others with a technical interest should read the full 11 report suite of technical reports published under SAE PT-113. Very good technical documentation on our cars design.:thumbsup

Could not agree more, I changed my tie rod ends on my Cobra to a very similar set up from OEM mainly for convenience of bump steer adjustment. Now I am replacing very expensive NMB rod ends on a yearly basis because they get sloppy since they are teflon lined and the lining wears. The Ford GT OE parts are your best bet for anything but all out racing.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thank you cobra498 for sharing with us your real-world application experience. There are always design tradeoffs to consider, and designs can always be improved. In your case you went to much more expensive NMB tierod ends for a very specific bump-steer issue. But your tradeoff was frequent replacement and associated costs to address this very specific issue. The Ford OE tierods (IMO) satisfy the design requirements for almost all our FGT owners’ needs.

PhilBrettGuy also brings into focus another important overall factor, that of energy absorption during a crash. Although I did not list this as a design consideration, it absolutely is. You want ANY vehicle structure to absorb crash induced load instead of passing it along to the human occupants. You want structures to bend as that takes energy which is consumed and lessens the load to the occupants.