Heffner Exhaust Install

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Thanks for the mention Brian ;-)

We've found cars with headers make much the same power as ones with stock manifolds and cats. So you're right performance is not really a consideration - it all comes down to what sound you're after. From my experience any aftermarket system isn't strictly legal in Switzerland but we do have customers there with non stock systems.

Do drop me a line at david.jones@gt101.co.uk if there's anything else I can help you with.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
one year update

These have been on a little over a year and I am still very pleased. They are much louder than stock but as others point out the weight savings and heat dissipation are major improvements and the look is outstanding. At around 2000 rpm there is not really a drone but sound is louder in the cabin which is easily controlled by using a different gear and higher rpms. The best mod I have done without question. I assume all these X pipe and H pipe configurations preform about the same these are just my results.
P.S. but don't plan on sneaking up on anyone they will hear you coming.:wink

Tomcat

GT Owner
I love my Heffner...great sound, much lighter (weight), reduced heat, great sound (worth repeating)!

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
I think deleting the cats is taboo in Europe, IMO the headers are expensive, difficult to install and add more heat to the engine bay due to more radiant surface area, the added power is minimal if any.. The Borla box mufflers seem to break at the seams if you run the car.. Not much louder than stock.. and not as much weight savings as the x pipes..
The x pipes are bullet proof. You have a great source for mods , David Jones is in the UK he posts here.. He is GT101 here a post he made

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/32999-2006-Heritage-GT-15-miles-only

did you check out this ? : http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/3051-Complete-Rally-Exhaust-Compilation

Thanks very much, I really appreciate your assistance!!! Guess what goes round comes round as I help newbies on f-chat all the time.....[emoji4]

Back to topic - I've put 100cel cats on my F12 and it's pretty much not usable in town etc etc....therefore I do agree with your comment re fully de-catting here in Europe , especially Switzerland......On normally aspirated cars you also lose a decent amount of low-end torque when doing such as some back pressure is needed....i think that this probably not an issue with a SC'd engine.....

I'm going to start a thread for myself as hijacking others and going off-topic is annoying at best.....

Cheers and again, thank you!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I would like to see more of both

Take a look at previous discussion threads on exhausts. The bottom line is that changing the exhaust after the cats will not net you any significant power. If you can't remove the cats, it will only sound different, weigh less, and "maybe" make the engine compartment a little cooler in temperature. It also looks good.

Really, it is not hard to replace the muffler with the X-pipes. Since the whole rear clamshell comes off with just 2 pins, pop off the 2 struts, and 1 electrical connector, you can do it yourself with one person assisting you.

As Stormkitty pointed out, the best option for moderate increase in power is the "pulley and tune."

Tomcat

GT Owner
Really, it is not hard to replace the muffler with the X-pipes. Since the whole rear clamshell comes off with just 2 pins, pop off the 2 struts, and 1 electrical connector, you can do it yourself with one person assisting you. "

I think you need some painter's tape and two "sturdy" assistants that are careful and can make minor adjustments to the angle/alignment of the clamshell while a third person pulls and later replaces the mounting pins

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
And its documented here that you don't even have to remove the clam shell to get the OEM muffler out, with out cutting it (maybe not easy, but can be done).

There are a million threads on exhausts. I 1st had the Borla FRPP, then went to a heffner to be louder. Manifolds and cats are stock.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
As Stormkitty pointed out, the best option for moderate increase in power is the "pulley and tune."

What's interesting is that a smaller pulley makes more power whereas on the only other induction cars i had, the pulley as always enlarged

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
Thanks for the mention Brian ;-)

We've found cars with headers make much the same power as ones with stock manifolds and cats. So you're right performance is not really a consideration - it all comes down to what sound you're after. From my experience any aftermarket system isn't strictly legal in Switzerland but we do have customers there with non stock systems.

Do drop me a line at david.jones@gt101.co.uk if there's anything else I can help you with.
Will do and much appreciated. Where in UK are you based

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Will do and much appreciated. Where in UK are you based

We're in Colchester - about an hours drive north east of London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
We're in Colchester - about an hours drive north east of London.

Cheers. I'll email you, and most likely give you a call next week when I'm in London

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Cheers. I'll email you, and most likely give you a call next week when I'm in London

Great stuff - we have about 10 GTs in the shop if you have the time to come over and have a coffee and chat around some cars.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
This is the Heffner before install

Attachments

• exhaust4 (3).jpg
    exhaust4 (3).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1716.JPG
    IMG_1716.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 172

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
This is the Heffner before install
Very nice [emoji106]

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
As mentioned they all perform and sound about the same. Just go with the one you think looks best.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
As mentioned they all perform and sound about the same. Just go with the one you think looks best.

Will do and keep you posted on which car I end up with, once I get it done!

Cheers!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Oh, one more consideration, be sure to decide in advance, if you are planning to do a bumper delete or not.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
Oh, one more consideration, be sure to decide in advance, if you are planning to do a bumper delete or not.

I am very doubtful that i can get the car past the homogulation criteria with the delete.....a car dealer which i use has a lawyer who owns a GT40 here in Switzerland is putting me in contact with him to find out who, what, where you have your GT40 dealt with here in Switzerland.....

is there any reason to keep it on - voluntarily - versus having deleted?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Its purely an ascetic choice. I eliminated ours, I think its cleaner looking, and a bonus, easier to wash. I personally dont like the look of bumper length exhaust tips, with the bumper delete. Hence why I suggested making sure which direction you choose, before buying an exhaust. I cant help you with European import etc. I'm sure David can be a good resource on what you should not do.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
i much prefer it without the bumper. i found one for sale in switzerland that has been homogulated and also has a bumper delete.....off to a good start

http://www.autoscout24.ch/fr/d/ford...usa)--gt?make=28&model=180&st=1&vehtyp=10&r=5