Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Gullwing : is depreciation over ?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
There is currently one for sale at 155K from an MB dealer.

please PM me where

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
As long as we are on opinions of cars that are fun to own and may appreciate...any opinions from the minions about the Gen V Viper? Just bought a 2013 launch edition with 3k miles. One of 150 LE's and one of about 2000 total Gen V's so far with 2016 being the last year of production. The price was right regardless but it seems like it may have potential to appreciate down the road.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
please PM me where

There are 8 in M-B dealers nationwide; filter on SLS

http://www.mypreownedmercedes.com/amg

and another 15+ nationwide

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&startYear=1981&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE&Log=0

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
As long as we are on opinions of cars that are fun to own and may appreciate...any opinions from the minions about the Gen V Viper? may have potential to appreciate down the road.

Congrats!

Think the Gen V is hugely charismatic and last of its kind; at $85K think its a bargain.

I dont buy the 0-60, 1/4mile, ring-time, 700+hp wars nonsense.

Looks matter; and lots of other hi-po american metal it gets compared to will age badly and be dated and forgotten, while Viper will be iconic.

I love the Orange T/A

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
"When the doors go up, the panties come down."

Happy Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• 2011-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-9.jpg
    2011-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-9.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
"When the doors go up, the panties come down."

Happy Thanksgiving!
Please Kayvan, no pictures of you without panties!!!!!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Congrats!

Think the Gen V is hugely charismatic and last of its kind; at $85K think its a bargain.

I dont buy the 0-60, 1/4mile, ring-time, 700+hp wars nonsense.

Looks matter; and lots of other hi-po american metal it gets compared to will age badly and be dated and forgotten, while Viper will be iconic.

I love the Orange T/A

I agree!! Also the Orange TA is absolutely beautiful. It just captures all the lines.

b9b716486ac6d41429953e9b2a7f5ade.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
So...finally got to see an SLS in flesh (last time was in 2011 in NYC)....

Here are my +/- impressions of '11 15K+ mile car:

This is not to be OCD, overly critical or knock the SLS; just a sober assessment as $150-175,000 is not a small sum, and once must evaluate quality, design aesthetics, and compare v. competition and collectible market standards.

Positives:

Gullwing doors; obvious presence/charisma
Elite heritage, taste, & class of model
Fit & finish of exterior, gaps, lines, and surfaces
Owning a flagship AMG-Mercedes sports cars
Details: finned wheels, Star/Wide grill; wide-stance and width

Negatives:

Seems small (even at 181")
Very truncated rear almost ovoid; bumpers are longest point and wheelbase edges are sharply rounded
Paint-quality; not deep, orange peel; somewhat flat color
Interior; use of plastic/fibreboard on thresholds, trunk interior valence; C-class quality seat switches; flimsy clicks of storage containers, glove-box, etc.
Seat doesnt feel solid; rocks/squeaks when adjusts
Leather seams thin; shows wear (red esp.) and appears shiny from use
Door shuts not classic M-B solid; rather hollow sound
Visibility OK; somewhat sunken.

OK-- realize all this sounds negative and like I am talking myself out of a SLS.

Rather, I'm just looking at pros/cons; feel buying any exotic with rose-colored glasses and not focusing on things that may annoy/irritate is not realistic. I think the SLS made some compromises in being a Supercar AND GT-Grand-Tourer; some of those are materials/execution and are reflected in price.

For example; felt the interior fit/finish was not on par with an Audi R8's flawless interior execution or a top of the line 911 or even Lambo Gallardo from 2011.

Those plastic switches, interior plastic covers, thresholds, lips/valence were closer to my Vette than say an Aston, R8 or Bentley for same money.

Now, this may not be reasonable. I had in the back of my mind the F GT's interior panels; granted the F GT is essentially a 'bespoke' super-car and every part was nearly custom made.

Never the less, the comparisons helped me to anchor my self and not get carried away into "Oh, what the heck I found the perfect SLS for $175K, I'll just buy it".

Rather, for $175K I would buy a Tungsten salvage/repaired Ford GT; thats a screaming 'value buy' v. a SLS at market.

For me, the SLS is a strong buy in the $135-150K range. Its a landmark design yes; its has shortcomings as expected for M-B to be able to produce it under $200K.

I'm still a motivated buyer; just more so, for the car I want and below a ceiling of $150K.

Last edited:

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Kayvan,
You should get that colon looked at.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
For as long as the car is, it has a very cramped interior.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Kayvan,
You should get that colon looked at.

Was copy/paste from a M-B forum post I did; they expect detail and retentiveness !

Dark red paint with red interior, Carbon-F was not a great combination for SLS

Trans tunnel is very large and high; smaller inside than GT (or c6 Vette) even though same length.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Was copy/paste from a M-B forum post I did; they expect detail and retentiveness !

Dark red paint with red interior, Carbon-F was not a great combination for SLS

Trans tunnel is very large and high; smaller inside than GT (or c6 Vette) even though same length.

Curious as to which MB forum is decent, so I can check it out ?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Curious as to which MB forum is decent, so I can check it out ?

Ill PM you...

Truth is all M-B forums are terrible; you either have to sit thru suburbanite drivel of goofs who cant find hood release on their station wagon or the blow-hard who says he trades in SL-600 every 18 mos and how they give him free double de-caf soy latte Cappucinos when he walks into showroom.

I'll prbably buy from a small-town M-B dealer and have it services at the M-B Classic Center Irvine where they restore 300 SL Gullwings and are a factory authorized dealer/warranty provider.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Test drove this today....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks...Type=Coupe&_nkw=Mercedes-Benz+SLS+AMG&_sop=10

UPDATE II:

Took a '12 Imola Grey/Tan woven Designo for a test drive today; first drive in a SLS.

This is a very clean expample, with spotless interior; excellent paint and only light wear on front lower fascia. The SLS in grey and silver really highlights the car; and makes its scale standout.

First off, the start-up exhaust is a near exact sound of the Ford GT; very deep and a bit raspier.

Went for a nice cruise on broad straightaways towards Topanga Cyn; with many switchbacks, gradients, and wide open throttle. Again, acceleration was utterly linear and on par with GT.

Chassis feels rock solid; tried transmission in C, C+, S and honestly didnt feel any hesitation, except in parking lot rolling around. Ceramic brakes were very grabby and shuddered a bit even on rolling stops in lot; pads may have glazed.

Overall, its a 100% confirmation to buy the SLS; steering feedback, driveline, chassis, torque acceleration...all world class.

A test drive makes a world of difference!

Now to find: Iridium Silver, Black, Five spoke base wheels.....

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
We've had our SLS for a while now. It has to be driven as you've found. We did the Milli Miglia 1,000 miles through France then 3 days of hard driving in Italy (and I mean hard, chasing La Ferrari's etc) over 1000 miles of back roads, then cruise back through France.

Car didn't miss a beat, just took it. I'd say the GT is slightly better on fuel!

Prices in the UK have gone mad, and ours has gone up 75% in less than a year. I think people finally realized what a great car it is. Cooks anything you put in the boot (trunk) but hey, all the best cars do that ;-)