Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Gullwing : is depreciation over ?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Seeing prices between $130-180K (non-Black Series/Final Ed)

~1,800 Gullwing Coupes

2011-2014

What do experts think?

Buy now OR is typical AMG depreciation to come.

Being mentioned with Z8, C GT, F GT, etc as next to swing up...

http://clearbook.truecar.com/used-m...w/7n30/90401/5000/excellent/iyj/hsl/o/t_curve

Last edited:

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I think its a future collectable.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Those are neat cars and I'd way rather have one than a Z8.
I don't see why there is any "bid" for the Z8,..it's a nice car but pedestrian compared to a CGT or FGT,...but isn't everything.
:)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I drove one for about 6 months. Really great car but not very refined. It rides ruff, torque comes on quick and it steers like a sleigh.... all the qualities I love about a good American hot rod but at 5 times the price. The doors are a showstopper everywhere, I can't believe they even made it as a convertible. I wish I had the scratch to pick up a SLS GT.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Re: torque

Did you have '13 SLS GT ?

Heard the '11-'12 received a flash to make shifts quicker

Thinking about getting one and trading my c6 for credit towards it; with 4yr warranty and prices $135K I could be in one for $100K. Can't see how I'll lose money...

Am I missing anything with AMG servicing costs ?

Can't be more expensive than the restoration on my '68 SL !?!

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I have had an 11 since new and the depreciation was steep but values seem to have stabilized since they stopped production.
AMG servicing costs are only slightly more than a regular Mercedes. I would recommend getting the factory extended warranty which is available as long as the initial 4-year warranty has not expired. There was a transmission reflash for the 11's and 12's and it did make the shifts much faster but as with most adaptive transmissions your driving style also affects the shift timing.
The doors do make the car as does the incredible exhaust note from the na engine.

Attachments

• Lime Rock AMG Corral July 6, 2013 006.jpg
    Lime Rock AMG Corral July 6, 2013 006.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 775

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Epic !

Is that Iridium Silver?

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mystic white but that shot was into the sun so hard to tell.
If you are going to track the car the ceramic brakes are a must-have option and add little to the price of a used car for what was an $8500 option new.

Attachments

• Lime Rock AMG Corral July 6, 2013 001.jpg
    Lime Rock AMG Corral July 6, 2013 001.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 793

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
That's a gorgeous shot!

Are there any idiosyncrasies to know of (tire spinning, battery drain, visibility with hood/rear) or is it typical AMG bank vault solid ?

Any similarities to GT? start up sounds similar...

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Took the photos at Storm King.

It is AMG bank vault solid. Unlike the GT plenty of electronic nannies - but they can be disabled if you want. Visibility to the rear is great compared to the GT and front is fine once you get used to the long hood. Like the GT I leave a trickle charger on when not driving - there is a connection in the trunk. Speaking of the trunk there is actually room for luggage for two for a weekend getaway.

If you live in an area with good roads and nice weather unlike the northeast, it could be a daily driver.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Thanks!

Yes, I'm thinking of it as daily in LA.

How's the front lip clearance?

My C6 has less clearance than the GT!

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Front lip clearance about the same as the GT.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Beautiful car, over engineered I think to say the least, pricey e-modules everywhere, but not a deal breaker. get it, they can't go any $$ lower !

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I have limited time in these but always enjoyed it. Especially the doors and the exhaust note!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I had the pleasure to hang out with DoctorV8 and ride in his SL65 Black series the other day. Have to say, it is THE modern MB I would pine for next. Really bad ass looking, great sound, some 700hp and near infinite torque.

I'm a vintage MB guy, yet I just can't get past the truncated rear end of the new Gullwings.

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I was also just going to recommend the SL65 black series. They seem to be available for about the same price as a base SLS even with much lower production numbers. Conventional doors though.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I was also just going to recommend the SL65 black series. They seem to be available for about the same price as a base SLS even with much lower production numbers. Conventional doors though.

I wish they werent so expensive. Seems like most $200 plus or minus

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I wish they werent so expensive. Seems like most $200 plus or minus
they were way more than 200K initially more like 270K

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
they were way more than 200K initially more like 270K

I think even closer to $300k in 2009-10 when new

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
There is currently one for sale at 155K from an MB dealer.