Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Saw this, one glitch, could cause a bankruptcy. Little different than Hillary saying gun makers should be liable.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Waiting to see the revised rates on my auto insurance policy when this technology implements. I'm sure it will be going down. :frown

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ask new Audi Q7 owners (maybe other cars do too) but the "active" cruise control will keep the distance, and adjust speed all the way to zero in traffic that with lane departure assist? What gives more of a green light to not pay any attention to driving.... other than the next step you mentioned.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
The active cruise control that keeps the distance and speeds up/slows down is quite good, especially long distance cruise. I used the lane assist twice, but didn't like it.. Mostly the car felt like it is somehow wandering between left and right border of "your" lane. And we're not talking about regular steering if you want to turn left/right etc. Maybe a bit of hype these days with Elon Musk from Tesla starting it. But since it might raise price of his TESLA stock who could blame him ;)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
[video=youtube_share;U7VqsONNvIs]http://youtu.be/U7VqsONNvIs[/video]

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
"Volvo: We’ll accept liability for accidents involving our autonomous cars"

The dumbest plan and statement anyone can make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8nnhUCtcO8

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Sooooooo...you're driving down the freeway doing 70 m.p.h. 'in traffic' and one or more of the computers in your autonomous car suddenly develops a 'glitch' of some kind and decides to take the rest of the day off.

Then what?

As little as I trust 'the other guy' on the road, I trust autonomous cars far less.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm not really worried about whether the technology will work. With redundancy, it can be made very reliable. Aircraft flight systems are a good example. What bothers me is the inevitable adverse consequences for those of us who want to drive (greater liability, higher insurance rates, etc.).

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm not really worried about whether the technology will work. With redundancy, it can be made very reliable. Aircraft flight systems are a good example. What bothers me is the inevitable adverse consequences for those of us who want to drive (greater liability, higher insurance rates, etc.).

It's an inevitability that automation will make automotive transport not just safer, but drastically safer.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
In your lifetime, yes, not mine. I'm tired of going to the Geek Squad every time my PC gets a virus.

24/7 automotive ECU reprogramming is the biz of the future.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
In your lifetime, yes, not mine. I'm tired of going to the Geek Squad every time my PC gets a virus.

24/7 automotive ECU reprogramming is the biz of the future.

Your lifetime, young man.

in·ev·i·ta·ble

inˈevidəb(ə)l/
adjective
1. certain to happen; unavoidable.

"war was inevitable"

synonyms: unavoidable, inescapable, inexorable, ineluctable; More

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
It's an inevitability that automation will make automotive transport not just safer, but drastically safer.

:agree:

As with most of life's enjoyable activities that many of that us enjoyed in the 50s and 60s, and which have been deemed unsafe, the government(s) will continue to pass legislation to protect us from ourselves. Less individual responsibility and more litigation. After all, the function of a legislature is to legislate, which usually winds up with greater restrictions and costing more money....

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I was just over at the GM Heritage collection marveling at cars from the Jet Age. They looked forward to flying cars of the future.

I commented to the curator that I would like to fast forward right thru the driverless era into the flying car. Got a huge smile.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Your lifetime, young man.

in·ev·i·ta·ble

inˈevidəb(ə)l/
adjective
1. certain to happen; unavoidable.

"war was inevitable"

synonyms: unavoidable, inescapable, inexorable, ineluctable; More

inconceivable.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
:agree:

As with most of life's enjoyable activities that many of that us enjoyed in the 50s and 60s, and which have been deemed unsafe, the government(s) will continue to pass legislation to protect us from ourselves. Less individual responsibility and more litigation. After all, the function of a legislature is to legislate, which usually winds up with greater restrictions and costing more money....

I submit that this trend line is not because we have better drivers. :lol

Capture.jpg

"USA annual VMT vs deaths per VMT" by Dennis Bratland - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...dia/File:USA_annual_VMT_vs_deaths_per_VMT.png

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
And to borrow from Sinovac's handbook, I would submit that these same causative factors have also dramatically altered the process of natural selection.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It will be just like the beginning of the automobile industry. Non-autonomous cars will become playthings for the rich.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
We should be in pretty good shape then. :wink

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Assuming autonomous cars will be smart enough to keep right except to pass, tens of thousands of miles of roadway will become free.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk