Major Step for Driverless Cars

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I'm not really worried about whether the technology will work. With redundancy, it can be made very reliable. Aircraft flight systems are a good example. What bothers me is the inevitable adverse consequences for those of us who want to drive (greater liability, higher insurance rates, etc.).

Like our gauges.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
GM and Google combine efforts to delelop a pizza delivery vehicle that is completely driverless. Arrives at your house, you are on the honor system to remove YOUR pizza from the other 80 such pizzas on-board.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-its-own-delivery-car-with-gm-google-partner

Well, sort of. ;-))

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo...utopilot-may-not-be-all-its-cracked-up-to-be/

Sounds like it's a little scary in the Tesla.

I like how Elon is already trying shield them from Liability. "Oh and we never imagined someone would use it at 90mph".

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I hear Sinovac sharpening his pencil with a response.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

"In some ways it could make driving more dangerous until it is fully functional."

No.............really?

'Hackers' are going to have a ball wrecking autonomous cars and screwing with the associated gov't traffic control systems, etc.
I can easily envision scenarios wherein only those driving the old classics would be mobile...assuming they're not wrecked by numerous out-of-control autonomous rigs that have been hacked, that is.

Mayhaps 'twould be advisable to start equipping ALL autonomous/all-electric/hybrid/computer controlled cars with a humongous manual on/off switch wired directly between the battery packs (or std 12 volt as the case may be) and the rest of the car. :skep

'Going to my room now... :eek:ld:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
'Hackers' are going to have a ball wrecking autonomous cars and screwing with the associated gov't traffic control systems, etc.

Much like they've done with planes, right?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Much like they've done with planes, right?

'Guess we'll see, won't we.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My brother went to sleep a few nights ago with his Tesla in the garage, and woke up the next morning to Autopilot.

Now he's having a ball amazing his friends.

Apparently, even though the car tells you to keep your hands on the steering wheel, you don't have to. At least not for quite a while. He says he thinks the car wants some reassurance occasionally that he is still there.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I hear Sinovac sharpening his pencil with a response.

What's a pencil? I dictate all my rants against technology on my iPhone 6 with voice recognition.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

What the hell kind of engineer are you?

image.jpg. :wink

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
What the hell kind of engineer are you? :wink

In my day, these are what we used - :willy

View attachment 39687

View attachment 39689

View attachment 39688

I think I still have a couple of them. :facepalm: :frown

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
In my day, these are what we used - :willy

View attachment 39687

View attachment 39689

View attachment 39688

I think I still have a couple of them. :facepalm: :frown

I also used those. I like them the best. The lead on the thin mechanical pencils broke too easy for me to use.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed reading it. The phase change section of the white paper captures/identifies many of the key areas but seems a bit light in the shorts in content development, e.g. One box to describe tort reform? Product liability? Think years. I think it has Supreme Court written all over it.

While the technology may be speeding along, the infrastructure and legal enablers aren't developing at the same rate of speed. So I guess all the early adopters will be pioneers in the sense of a huge product liability bubble. In this regard, I'd think Europe might be a more favorable climate for initial prove out, implementation and adoption of the technology.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The rapid pace of development will certainly cause a lag in the law (think consumer drones), but this has been true for every disruptive technology. Because consumer demand will be massive, the technology will dictate the law, not the other way around.

The infrastructure requirements are not nearly as substantial as once thought as the technology has demonstrated a remarkable capacity to adapt to existing conditions. I can foresee modest changes to road design and construction, but nothing radical.

Think about how disruptive this will be to many established industries (insurance, law, auto body repair, common carriers, etc.). Exciting stuff.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Think about how disruptive this will be to many established industries (insurance, law, auto body repair, common carriers, etc.). Exciting stuff.

Totally agree. I've been trying to comprehend and do some predictive stuff ( ST/LT impacts) on those very same industries since this direction started to gain traction. I think where you and I might differ in opinion is to how quickly the llegislative area will react to the technology. I believe the law will (unfortunately) follow it, leading the way for significant/landmark litigation. Hope I'm wrong but haven't seen too much in the way of proactive regulation/legislation.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I still have this from college. Yes, calculators were invented then, but very expensive. A few of the rich kids had them, but to level the playing field we were all required to use the slide rule for exams.

IMAG2182.jpg

Here you can see that 12 X 12 = 144 :lol

IMAG2183.jpg

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Pencils, slide rules, mechanical sharpeners. Let me add this from my college days. Anyone remember the memorable name?

Attachments

• SBG.jpg
    SBG.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 97

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Kotex Maxi-Pad?

Don't lie Gary. I'm pretty sure you used an Abacus.