2016 Focus RS

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ford offered a Track-Pack GT350 with all the coolers. It's not a scandal that the Tech-Pack equipped cars aren't as robust in the cooling department. That seems obvious.

I guess you are all-knowing. Of course I think you are dead wrong but this thread has already gone farther South/Darker than intended. This is not a Ford hate-fest, nor is this the place/venue for this discussion. If you want to debate further, PM me.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I guess you are all-knowing. Of course I think you are dead wrong but this thread has already gone farther South/Darker than intended. This is not a Ford hate-fest, nor is this the place/venue for this discussion. If you want to debate further, PM me.

I don't profess to be all knowing. I just have a bunch of common sense.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I just have a bunch of common sense.

One day you should learn how to apply it.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
One day you should learn how to apply it.

I'll give that suggestion the consideration it deserves.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
For what it's worth, there's a new Salomondrin video where they run the McLaren P1 vs. Porsche 918 Spyder at Thermal on a hot day. The P1 makes it 2 laps before overheating. 918 also overheats shortly after hitting the track. Difficult to make road cars race cars in brutal conditions, even million dollar ones.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
For what it's worth, there's a new Salomondrin video where they run the McLaren P1 vs. Porsche 918 Spyder at Thermal on a hot day. The P1 makes it 2 laps before overheating. 918 also overheats shortly after hitting the track. Difficult to make road cars race cars in brutal conditions, even million dollar ones.

Excuses. Those cars are obviously engineered poorly. What do McLaren and Porsche know about track cars?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Excuses. Those cars are obviously engineered poorly. What do McLaren and Porsche know about track cars?

Have you ever owned and taken a Boss 302 to a track event? I suspect not.

Have you ever owned and taken a Focus RS to a track event? I suspect not.

I have. So to say that our assessments are even remotely comparable is absurd. Another diffrence is that I am a lover of all things car. I don't see the world through a blue-tinted lense.

Certainly there are days at Thermal, Spring Mountain, Buttonwillow, and many others where conditions are such that no one can run.

But here are a few facts - so feel free to quibble, rationalize or deny as you see fit.

1. Several of us GT owners took our 302's to Buttonwillow for their track inauguration (back in 2012). In attendance were a multitude of late model M3's. Fully street cars, typically nothing more than some R compound tires. Like our 302's all were street driven to and from the event. Same track, same day, same venue. ALL of the 302's had overheating issues and all had escalating oil temps to dangerous levels - 300F+. Meanwhile, the M3's were running and running and running. This was an embarassing showing - not so much for us as owners but for Ford. I'm not an avid reader over on the M3 forums but I'm betting that there was a lot of chatter about the mighty 302's after this venue.

2. The over-heating saga continues - but this time with the transmissions on the GT350's. Yeah, it's easy to be dismissive and say Tech-pack owners got what they deserved - they shouldn't expect to take their cars on the track. (FYI, I'm sure through no admission of guilt ALL 2017 GT350s have the transmission and diff coolers.) I don't have a horse in this game but I thing that 600 posts and 22,000 views in this one thread on one forum alone isn't the social feedback that Ford is looking for. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55937

3. Fast-forward to the beloved RS. The heat issues are real. Already stories on forums from Focus RS owners "handing it" to 2016 Subaru STi owners, but only moments later having to sheepishly head for the track exit in over-heat limp mode.

Yeah, there's a lot of smoke but most certainly there's no fire. WTF do us guys that are buying and tracking these cars know..... we should have more common sense.

But, Sinovac - ultimately you are right (in all seriousness). Better common sense says that if you want to be in the running for a new FGT, these aren't things one should talk about.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
But, Sinovac - ultimately you are right (in all seriousness). Better common sense says that if you want to be in the running for a new FGT, these aren't things one should talk about.

It seems we have gotten to the meat of the coconut.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I have a Fiesta I can trade in for the Focus RS, seems like a fun upgrade.

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali

....maybe wait for the RS500? ;) lol

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Make no mistake that the RS is an EXCELLENT car. It is undoubtedly one of THE best "bang for the buck" cars you can possibly buy for the street! It's one of those rare cars that just makes you smile and giggle! And when it comes to cornering, especially, you will find yourself asking, "how did it just do that?" frequently!! I have always been attracted to these Jekyll and Hyde, dual personality cars. So, yes, you can drive around like it is a race car and the car will reward in spades. But, load up grandma or grandpa and head off to the grocery store and other errands and the RS is just as happy to do that too. The ride may be a little firm for some but it is a very small sacrifice to pay for what the car can deliver at this price point.

And HOPEFULLY, the car can be driven at HPDE events in "normal" weather. We haven't yet had the opportunity to try that.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I am seriously considering the RS. I have been following this thread and the same type of thread on Corner-Carvers. Both the same feedback as far as tracking.

I am down to the point that when the RS comes from Ford ready to be tracked for 20 minutes (I live in Las Vegas), I am ready to buy.

Maybe Ford Motorsports will have a real track package. That would be just as good.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
If you are considering, tough to get! I placed an order last November and car schedule to be built in 2 weeks! If interested start calling for a 2017. Of course if willing to pay over sticker can probably find a 2016 now.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
You are going to love that car Gene!

Ed

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Ken Block's Gymkhana 9 has just been released....another Focus "must see".

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
finally received my Frozen White RS after ordering it almost one year ago to the day! (early 2017 GT owners will have waited less!). Quite impressed with build quality (built in Germany have something to do with it?). Drives great, waiting for breakin then come the mods!! Hoping to go over 400hp easily and 4 WD!. Changing to winter wheels and tires next week. Frozen White spectacular! My first white car and believe same shade new GT will be in. Makes other white cars look dull!!

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Nice Gene!

Been tracking my Nitrous Blue for months and should finally be on the ship today from Belgium--set to arrive in port Hueneme on 12/16. Perfect timing for the holidays! Hope you get a break in the weather and are able to enjoy the car. Let us know what you think when you're able to push it a little!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Yes interesting to be able to track the whereabouts of the car once built!! Including the APP of the cargo ship's location!! Focus RS forum very helpful for info etc. Actually looking forward to driving the car in the snow with optional winter wheel/tires!
Nitrous blue great color, enjoy!!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Nice Gene!

Been tracking my Nitrous Blue for months and should finally be on the ship today from Belgium--set to arrive in port Hueneme on 12/16. Perfect timing for the holidays! Hope you get a break in the weather and are able to enjoy the car. Let us know what you think when you're able to push it a little!

Which dealership did you order through?

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Which dealership did you order through?

Actually I didn't order but took over an allocation for a NB RS2 in Henderson, NV (Ford Country). Guy that originally ordered it backed out and I got it for near-MSRP. California was quite simply a huge PITA. Dealers were asking anywhere from $2k to $10k over...I just walked away and started looking out of state.