2016 Focus RS

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
I can't wait for mine to arrive!!! Such an awesome car.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
My dealer is getting 2 2017 350s and 1 RS. I can't believe that little hatch is so heavy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I believe 3300-3400.
For a little box like that, that number seems way too high. So I searched for the curb weight of the regular Focus, and it's around 3000 lbs, so maybe the RS will be that heavy. Certainly not "lightweight."

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
I wonder if the RS will be followed by a lighter version...the RSR lol. jokes aside, I really wish they had made it lighter than the current focus or at least kept its weight!

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Anyone know the curb weight of the RS?? I looked on Ford and it says TBD.

The May issue of Car and Driver did a comparison test between the Focus RS, the Volkswagen Golf R and the Subaru WRX STI. Focus placed 1st., Volkswagen 2nd. and Subaru 3rd. They listed the Ford Focus's curb weight at 3459 lbs.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I really wish they had made it lighter than the current focus or at least kept its weight!

I think all manufacturers are concerned about weight (finally). The RS has been heralded as the pinnacle hot hatch of all time. Part of that equation is price/performance and to keep that in check, it is necessary to choose a production platform - hence the Focus. Then add, bigger motor, turbo, intercooler, more computers, AWD, etc. and you see why the weight increases.

Last edited:

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
yes definitely, I agree...Ford could have replaced some sheet metal with carbon fiber or aluminum or put in a lighter interior in spite for comfort, but that in all would have added to the cost of the car...so after all Ford came up with a good balance between price, performance and weight and comfort. It will be up to the owner to make it as light as he wishes by spending some $$$ in aftermarket parts

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Has anyone seen one at a dealership yet?

I'm guessing the engine and AWD add a bit of weight to the small hatch.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
He's leasing it, so it's not his RS.

$750/mo. BAHAHAHA.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I got to ride in an RS for our parade lap around the Le Mans circuit. I thought it was great. Great acceleration, snappy handling, good exhaust sound with a nice little burble, breaks aren't grabby, outside lines are nice, interior is good. Sweet hatch back.

Vince H

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
One of my son's good friends was in the market for a car. We fortunately talked him out of a Subaru STD or something like that, and into an RS. Sounds incredible.

image.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Now that's funny....

Subaru STD
]

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
You did that kid a big favor, abstinence is the best plan. :biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Drift mode trivia....

Just imagine the conniption fits by the legal department.

http://jalopnik.com/the-ford-focus-rs-drift-mode-was-discovered-completely-1784529870

The magically sideways gift to Ford Focus RS hoons everywhere, Drift Mode, almost didn’t happen at all. The easiest marketing tie-in with Ken Block ever created was actually discovered by accident.

Drift Mode tweaks some settings in the all-wheel-drive and stability control systems to allow the Focus RS to slide around more. It’s been a Godsend to fans of the slide, as well as Mustang owners who hope something else will take the title of “Biggest Cars and Coffee Risk” away from them.

However, Ford Performance vehicle and engineering manager Tyrone Johnson told Australia’s Motoring that drift mode was an accidental—if fortuitous—discovery made while testing out the Focus RS’s twin-clutch all-wheel-drive system. Johnson explained:

It wasn’t like that it was more like one of my guys sitting in the car – the lead dynamics guys sitting in the car – and next to him is the guy who is doing the calibration of the all-wheel drive system with a lap-top on his knees.

And they are talking and he says “oh let me try this out” and he tries it and he says “oh that’s cool can you give me more of that” and he gives him more and he says “that’s really cool” and then it starts working.
They eventually demonstrated the tail-happy settings they’d discovered to Ford global technical and development chief Raj Nair, who ultimately identified it as a major selling point for the car and pushed it through to production.

The rest, as you know, is history—just like the Focus RS of someone with more confidence than talent pulling out of a car show. Happy hooning.

Last edited:

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
Another home run vehicle for Ford. What a year. Congrats to the entire team.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Sounds incredible.

To the occupants, maybe and only because Ford is piping the artificial sound in through the speakers/sub. Stupid. What's next? Will the GT sound be piped in too.... maybe the V8 sound that everyone wanted??

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I don't like the sound of that !

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
To the occupants, maybe and only because Ford is piping the artificial sound in through the speakers/sub. Stupid. What's next? Will the GT sound be piped in too.... maybe the V8 sound that everyone wanted??

No-I'm talking about the pops and gurgles coming from the exhaust. It sounds great from the outside.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
My one. It's brilliant :-

IMG_1069.jpg