14".

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I am surprised that a hi-tech trailer like Trailex, is using old steel Leaf Spring technology and not the Dexter type heavy duty tube-in-Tube rubber type axle .

Also - 14 inch tires/wheels.?
Ok for a light trailer, but not ok in my opinion when the trailer is filled with a 3700 lb vehicle.
I guess I have just been lucky with all my cross country trips and only one tire failure.

andy (ajb)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I don't know about hi-tech. It's just aluminum instead of steel. A box on axles.

1,950 lbs. What does a steel trailer weigh?

23,000 miles and the only failures have been Goodyears. Maybe in another year I'll blame (or praise) Carlisle.

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Unless already stated. Have blowouts been in all locations or just one side or axle?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Blowouts have been left and right front. Tread separation was rear. I don't remember the position of the sidewall bubble.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Was thinking the geometry could be off in the axles.
But if only the Goodyears are failing and its at all locations it's highly unlikely it's the geometry.
Crazy thing.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
As you filter all this information, we run E as insurance. Cold weather is no big deal. Late afternoon summer blacktop in Texas is pushing 150. At those temps and at 80 mph, we want all the tire we can get. In the summer, each tire will have the max cold psi per manufacturer recomendation, car CG will hopefully be correctly located and trailer will be hitched level for load distribution over its axeles. Makes for a stiff ride but zero tire failures.

Good luck with the issues.