GTs and (especially) GT40s are Cheap

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Watching the various auction shows, and looking at numerous mags (especially the UK ones), GTs and especially GT40s are cheap relative to what else is out there. For example, I just saw an ad for a BMW Z8 Alpina, 10k miles, for 350,000GBP! Most of those that I've seen are $140-300,000 stateside, depending on mileage, etc. but 350,000 GBP? Over 5700 Z8s were made, so they're not exactly rare. Also, it seems as if every conceivable Ferrari 12 cyl convert ever made is for sale, and all of them for over $3MM! Salon Private/Siverstone Auctions shows an ad for a 71 Daytona Spyder that sold for 2.7MM GBP! And any earlier 12 cyl cab always seems to be north of $5MM.

I don't know why any old GT40 isn't $5MM or more, AND the replica Safir cars should be nearing $750M since various replica Ferraris are approaching crazy dough. I've seen Norwood cars above $500M routinely.

Maybe it's a bubble, or maybe people are scarfing up what they treasure. Even current Porsches are getting into the act (Carrera GTs and recently the 911 GT3 RSs).

It's definitely a good time to be an owner, but is it the greater fool theory period for buyers? TIme will tell...

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Watching the various auction shows, and looking at numerous mags (especially the UK ones), GTs and especially GT40s are cheap relative to what else is out there. For example, I just saw an ad for a BMW Z8 Alpina, 10k miles, for 350,000GBP! Most of those that I've seen are $140-300,000 stateside, depending on mileage, etc. but 350,000 GBP? Over 5700 Z8s were made, so they're not exactly rare. Also, it seems as if every conceivable Ferrari 12 cyl convert ever made is for sale, and all of them for over $3MM! Salon Private/Siverstone Auctions shows an ad for a 71 Daytona Spyder that sold for 2.7MM GBP! And any earlier 12 cyl cab always seems to be north of $5MM.

I don't know why any old GT40 isn't $5MM or more, AND the replica Safir cars should be nearing $750M since various replica Ferraris are approaching crazy dough. I've seen Norwood cars above $500M routinely.

Maybe it's a bubble, or maybe people are scarfing up what they treasure. Even current Porsches are getting into the act (Carrera GTs and recently the 911 GT3 RSs).

It's definitely a good time to be an owner, but is it the greater fool theory period for buyers? TIme will tell...

Could you please define your acronyms - MM, M, GBP, etc.? I find it hard to believe any car selling for $750 or $500 million dollars...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Could you please define your acronyms - MM, M, GBP, etc.? I find it hard to believe any car selling for $750 or $500 million dollars...

British terminology:

MM = million (M for us)
M = 1000 (K for us)
GBP = Great Britian Pound