Ford GT Gearbox Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex CH

Apr 4, 2014
Good Morning from Switzerland

I have the following issue with my Ford GT gearbox:

The inputshaft, where the clutch sits are the teeth worn so it has play.

Where can i buy a better gearkit? or a new inputshaft?

Thx a lot for your help!

Alex CH

Apr 4, 2014
and who can rebuilt my gearbox?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Alex- the Ricardo gear box in these cars present a unique problem that there are no service parts (other than after market different ratio gear sets) and the guys that know these things inside and out are far and few between. We have a few used transaxles for parts if we can help you but other than that it is a problem that will only get worse as time goes on.

Alex CH

Apr 4, 2014
ok thx... where can i get a new gear set? with other Ratio?
what Ratio would you recommend?

thx

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Are you saying the input shaft teeth are worn or the input shaft bearing has play?

It may be easier to buy an entire transaxle from a wrecked GT, rather than trying to find someone who can service yours.

Here is the 3.90 (vs. OEM 3.36) gearset thread. No idea if anyone has a set for sale.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-Ford-GT-transaxle?highlight=3.90+ring+pinion

Last edited:

Alex CH

Apr 4, 2014
Are you saying the input shaft teeth are worn or the input shaft bearing has play?

It may be easier to buy an entire transaxle from a wrecked GT, rather than trying to find someone who can service yours.

Here is the 3.90 (vs. OEM 3.36) gearset thread. No idea if anyone has a set for sale.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-Ford-GT-transaxle?highlight=3.90+ring+pinion

yes i would need the gearset and the inputshaft :)
The teeth of the inputshaft are worn and due to this the clutchplates has play

i only have 788whp... i dont know what gearboxes peopels use with 1200whp biturbo...

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Contact David Jones in England. He'll know where to get your transmission serviced.

The 3.9 ring gear, to the best of my knowledge, is not available . Stillen in California was the original source for these.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Alex has been in touch - I've been trying to find a used trans which is pretty tricky over here. I do know of one but the buyer only wants to sell it with the motor its paired with (and right now I don't need a spare motor) - have a couple more threads to follow and will keep searching.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You might check with ABRA Auto Body and Glass (formerly X2 Collision). They move a LOT of GT parts.

This was the X2 Google search before the business change.

X2.JPG

They have a complete engine and transaxle on ebay for $30K, which is a great deal (assuming the usual stuff).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-engine-transaxle-assembly-Ford-GT40-super-car-/181042687703

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
X2 is now X2 Builders in Granite City IL.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany

Alex CH

Apr 4, 2014
hi yes i also bought a used box.. but this has now the same Play...

but nobody produces a heavy duty gearkit?
or a aftermarket gearbox?

thx

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
AFAIK everybody considers the Ricardo boxes as quite good engineered, since they take HP figures of >1000hp without exploding. The short stillen final gear has been produced only in a small number (and I am not convinced they make fun in Europe since we can drive much faster compared to the US). I am not absolutely sure but I think the Ricardo Tranny was designed new from ground so there is nothing else that is compatible.

Since prices for cars and parts are rising, manufacturing parts for the tranny could be an excellent opportunity for someone who knows how to produce them.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018
I had same issue on my 2005 gt . Ricardo screw up ,It seems .

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I had same issue on my 2005 gt . Ricardo screw up ,It seems .

Dude - stop bumping ancient long dead threads. This is over 3 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.