F-150...Plaything of the rich

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Much BS in this article, but some nuggets of truth. It's not just number of units sold, it's number of Platinum and Limited units sold.

I know I couldn't live with a Lowe's mulch and 2x4 hauler without "genuine fiddleback eucalyptus" trim, heated-and-cooled massaging Mojave leather seats and "unique scuff plates with ice blue backlighting."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/07/30/how-americas-truck-the-ford-f-150-became-a-plaything-for-the-rich/

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Doesn't seem so long ago that XLT was 'king of the hill' in the trim/content department. So, now we have Limited and Platinum versions - how passe.

Just know that somewhere, there is a guy doing a business case for the new 'Unobtainium' model. :wink

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Big bucks in profits now, for sure.

Not sure how sustainable the business model is, however.

What about used prices down the road?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

"...The resale value of a 2015 F-150 improved almost 12% from the outgoing model, to retain 58% of its value after three years, according to ALG, a division of TrueCar, an online automotive site...."

I didn't know it was 2018 already - I must have fallen asleep again....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I didn't know it was 2018 already - I must have fallen asleep again....

Me too! So, even if the magical forecast turns out to be true, the new Limited will depreciate $25k in three years. Ouch. OTOH, good news for used buyers. Let somebody else pay the profit margin, then get cheap fiddleback eucalyptus.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I just wish they would make another Orange/Black Harley Edition F250/F350.
I loved that 2004 version.

I read that Fords relationship with Harley was not renewed a few years back.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I just received a promotional letter from a local Ford dealer offering me a "special" trade-in value on my '12 F-350 dually. I didn't go back to the MSRP to do the exact math, but I think the value shows over a 50% depreciation over 4 model years. Frankly, I was disappointed with the high depreciation, and with 17K miles, I ain't tradin' in anytime soon.

As long as I mentioned the 350, my 2 issues with it are: the 6.2 is a slug - previous 350 with V-10 was much better; undercarriage rust from Northeast winters is awful. If anything will make me get rid of the truck, it will be consequences of rust. Engine experience is so bad, I might actually entertain GM or Dodge if I were to replace. Sacrilege I know, but I would think a Hemi would run circles around the 6.2. I can't justify $8K for a diesel, because the truck is mostly for run-around and light loads. Seldom tow.

Any similar experiences/comments?