Power Steering Filter

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Here is a new product that Gates has just released. I'm thinking of putting it on my Mustang.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/10149...08_Power_Steering_Filter_Sell_Sheet_LoRes.pdf

View attachment 38262

To me, the interesting part of this device is that they incorporate a magnet in the filter to attract & trap metal particles. I'm curious why this has never been incorporated into Oil Filters.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
On the GT I have the acufab magnetic drain plugs for tank and both oil pan plugs.

On an oil filter the magnets might be too expensive, for the relative short service life of an oil filter.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
On the GT I have the accufab magnetic drain plugs for tank and both oil pan plugs.

On an oil filter the magnets might be too expensive, for the relative short service life of an oil filter.

A good oil filter already has metal parts in it (not like a Fram which is just cardboard). I'm thinking that one of these parts could be made of a material that could be magnetized. In quantity, it would add little to the price of the short life of an oil filter.