Any familiarity with 'Waterless Engine Coolant'?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Does anyone have any experience with 'Waterless Engine Coolant'? Evans has been advertising that - "No Water means No Pressure. Water-based coolants generate high vapor pressures which often cause hose failure. Evans Waterless Coolants operate at much lower pressures, reducing strain on engine components".

"Water is the root cause of corrosion in engines. Current antifreeze formulations regularly fail to prevent cavitation, oxidation and galvanic action, eating away pumps, radiators, liners etc. Corrosion build-up, inhibitor drop-out and lime-scale precipitation significantly reduces heat transfer efficiency and accelerates overheating".

Evans Waterless Coolants prevents water caused corrosion in a cooling system.

http://www.evanscooling.com/

All comments all welcome.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I run Evans in all of my performance cars and have been very happy. Use it in both engine and after cooler.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I run Evans in all of my performance cars and have been very happy. Use it in both engine and after cooler.
Sometimes I need an aftercooler. You know....hot sauce.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Apparently, the boiling point is over 150 degrees higher on Evans over water.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Apparently, the boiling point is over 150 degrees higher on Evans over water.

Haven't tried it - but that works! I'm surprised that the general industry hasn't incorporated it . Are there any drawbacks?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I thought no freeze protection is a drawback ?? Not positive

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I thought no freeze protection is a drawback ?? Not positive

That would be a BIG drawback where I live...

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Yes, its heat carrying capacity is much lower than water.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
"...often cause hose failure." I haven't had a hose failure since about 1966.

"...reducing strain on engine components." What strain? What engine components? The entire system is engineered to operate at 15 psi.

"Water is the root cause of corrosion..." And that is why modern coolant has lubricants, buffers and corrosion inhibitors, and why you should flush your cooling system periodically as the additives break down/get consumed and the glycol oxidizes.

Isn't this Evans stuff just 100% propylene glycol with an inhibitor package? 1 gal food grade propylene glycol = $15 + $1 additives, sell for $44.

If you have overheating problems when tracking, it seems to me 100% water is better than 100% glycol.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Haven't tried it - but that works! I'm surprised that the general industry hasn't incorporated it . Are there any drawbacks?

Sea level 14.7 psi + 15 psi cap = 29.7 psi total system pressure. Pure water boiling point = 250. 50/50 water/coolant = 265.

What difference does it make if the boiling point is 400? Are you going to run your engine past 240? Nice to know that the coolant won't boil even as your engine seizes.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I always thought the boiling point of water was 212

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I always thought the boiling point of water was 212
At sea level. The boiling point increases with pressure. Conversely, it decreases with altitude as atmospheric pressure decreases.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Xcentric is actually Bill Nye the Science Guy. What is the gestation period of the naked mole rat?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Xcentric is actually Bill Nye the Science Guy. What is the gestation period of the naked mole rat?
Ask me about feral hogs.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I've seen Xcentric. He IS a naked mole rat.

Howard

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I've seen Xcentric. He IS a naked mole rat.

Howard

:lol

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ask me about feral hogs.

I want one of those the next time you catch one. They make good sausage.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I want one of those the next time you catch one. They make good sausage.
I disposed of the four that I shot. Stubb and Lee Roy keep the ones they trap, plus $40 per pig. One more left (we hope).

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Guess I'll stay with Ford recommendations in the Owner's Manual -

View attachment 38231

View attachment 38232

View attachment 38233

View attachment 38234

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
At sea level. The boiling point increases with pressure. Conversely, it decreases with altitude as atmospheric pressure decreases.

Right. I see now that you were giving the boiling points at that pressure. I am familiar with the laws of physics. Just read your post in a hurry.