RoadRunners A12/SR-71 Blackbirds

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
I noticed a few fighter aircraft posts so here goes. The Roadrunners usually try to get together every year in Vegas and are the pilots of the U2. A12, and SR-71 Blackbirds.

Copy of personal film narrated by test pilot Lou Schalk of first test flight of A12. My grandfather is in there somewhere having built up NAA and all it's offshoots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7diDWBrTjr0

http://www.roadrunnersinternationale.com/articles/a-12_112.jpg

I hope the image comes through. one of my favs I have blown up in my trophy room.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Shouldn't that also include the pilots and navigatora of the YF-12 & YF-12A aircraft?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_YF-12

Last edited:

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
Shouldn't that also include the pilots and navigatora of the YF-12 & YF-12A aircraft?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_YF-12

Yes but most people are not aware of those types. On CC I had posted a long explanation about being on board as an observer. I think it was a speed thread.

Here's some more photos and a group photo that I had never seen before.

http://www.odometer.com/pop-culture/10401/15-incredible-facts-about-the-sr71-blackbird#slide/0

Also on Cobra Club there's a member named Dominic who is a German engineer working in S.A. who is friends with this gentleman below.

http://nextchapter.jetman.com/

BC

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
2 weeks ago got to see the SR-71 in person, what an amazing milestone in aviation. Anyone into aviation knows this, but anyone that doesn't, the Smithsonian has an amazing museum in Chantilly, VA (attached to Dulles Airport), and they have an SR-71 on display as well as a couple hundred other aircraft, including Enola Gay, a Concord, prototype Boeing 707, and space shuttle Discovery. And it is like all other Smithsonian's its admission is covered by our taxes (partially), so many consider it free (humor intended)...

An amazing place:

http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...the Smithsonian has an amazing museum in Chantilly, VA (attached to Dulles Airport), and they have an SR-71 on display as well as a couple hundred other aircraft, including Enola Gay, a Concord, prototype Boeing 707, and space shuttle Discovery....

View attachment 38159

View attachment 38160

View attachment 38161

View attachment 38162

View attachment 38163

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I walk past an A-12 most days on my way into work. Where do I work?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
The Udvar is awesome! The docent led tours are a must. A few years back the docent I had was the son of one of the Enola Gay crew, IIRC. Amazing!

Tomcat

GT Owner
2 weeks ago got to see the SR-71 in person, what an amazing milestone in aviation. Anyone into aviation knows this, but anyone that doesn't, the Smithsonian has an amazing museum in Chantilly, VA (attached to Dulles Airport), and they have an SR-71 on display as well as a couple hundred other aircraft, including Enola Gay, a Concord, prototype Boeing 707, and space shuttle Discovery. And it is like all other Smithsonian's its admission is covered by our taxes (partially), so many consider it free (humor intended)...
An amazing place:
http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/
And a Tomcat too...man, you know you are old when your airplane is in a museum!

Last edited:

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas

New York, on the West side near the musuem?

I couldn't get over how small this aircraft is when I saw it in NYC. The book about the Skunkworks by Ben Rich gives some fascinating insights into the plane, as does the Stories, Tales, and Legends book by Richard Graham - engine "unstarts" at Mach 3, holy crap! And don't forget, this thing was designed with slide rules!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...And don't forget, this thing was designed with slide rules!

Everything (pretty much) that was designed in the '50s, '60s & early '70s were designed with slide rules - this was changed when the original HP 35 scientific calculator came out in 1972 (which totally changed the industry). Thereafter, we all clamored for more calculating power, and eventually calculators were endowed with programming capabilities. Al the early programs I worked on - Explorer, OGO, San Marco, & Skylab used slide rules to calculate their designs. Viking, was a transitional program, ending with the early scientific calculators. Early Space Shuttle was calculators, which then changed to PC's as it evolved.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
One of the guys I work with flew the SR-71. Just this afternoon he was telling me about some of the missions he flew around Cuba and the Soviet Union. Pretty cool stuff.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Nope. In fact, I could walk under it if I wanted to.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
MG_7527-2_norod.jpg

Not much practice posting pic's.. See if if works.:facepalm:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

Well Pete let’s see. According to the A12 location link, the remaining CIA aircraft are on static display in California, New York, Alabama and Minnesota.

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/a-12/a-12locations.php

If in fact the aircraft you say you can walk under is the A12 version and not a SR71, and I would think you know the difference between the two, and your avatar location of Great Falls, Virginia is in fact accurate, by proximity the most logical location would be the A12 display at the New York City harbor.

Nope. In fact, I could walk under it if I wanted to.

Great Falls, Virginia is close to Washington, DC and Langley, VA home of the CIA. And the A12 was a CIA aircraft so perhaps there may be an A12 static display somewhere around Langley, VA. But if the A12 static display list is correct (no Virginia A12 displays) and you are located in Great Falls, VA, do you really commute 214 miles each way to the New York City harbor? This seems like a disconnect somewhere…..?:frown

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I see one!

image.jpg

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Yep FENZO you have an A12 (by most accounts) but the space museum staff seems to think it is an SR. Actually they are quite confused as to what they have. Trying to get the tail number to confirm.

Update Pete. You must work at Langley. The earlier A12 location link must be old...

New data......
◦6931/ #128 ◾On display at Minnesota Air National Guard Museum, MN
◾Now on display at CIA HQ, Langley, VA as of 20 September 2007

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Yep FENZO you have an A12 (by most accounts) but the space museum staff seems to think it is an SR. Actually they are quite confused as to what they have. Trying to get the tail number to confirm.

Internet photos show A12 TN 06930. Cool thing about this one is that it is outside of the Space and Rocket center gates, you can walk right up to it without going in. Was looking pretty rough (I think the center was having financial issues) for a while, but if memory serves it was re-finished recently.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014

Update Pete. You must work at Langley. The earlier A12 location link must be old...

New data......
◦6931/ #128 ◾On display at Minnesota Air National Guard Museum, MN
◾Now on display at CIA HQ, Langley, VA as of 20 September 2007

Nafod and Indy get the prize. Google Earth will show it there too. What's the prize you ask? I'll buy both of you a round at the Rally.
Extra bonus prize: What are the two stars for?

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
March Air Museum is only a mile from my office. In fact you can see it from our yard. They have and sr-71. Astonishing feat of engineering.

Vince H

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
March Air Museum is only a mile from my office. In fact you can see it from our yard. They have and sr-71. Astonishing feat of engineering.

Vince H

That's a great museum, Vince - a lot of aircraft there! Here's a picture of the SR-71 when I was there in 2008 -

View attachment 38214

There is another one mounted outside of the San Diego Air & Space Museum in Balboa Park -

View attachment 38215

Here's the one at the Wright-Patterson USAF National Museum -

View attachment 38216