HVAC controller(s) (help needed)

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Hello everyone. I am in need of assistance from the forum.

I am troubleshooting a problem with the HVAC controls on my 2005 GT.

The problem is the HVAC controls don’t function. Nor do they illuminate when the headlamp switch is activated (all the panel gauges do illuminate). The battery is good and charged (on battery tender when not in use) and all fuses check out.

After reading the shop manual to better understand the operation of the HVAC control system, I’ve narrowed down the problem to one of two parts: the Climate Control Assembly (the actual HVAC controls in the center console) or the Climate Control Module (located under dash on passenger side).

Here is where I need help from the forum:
1. I need the part number for the Climate Control Module (the under dash part). The manual does not list a part number for the Climate Control Module. The manual DOES list a part number for the Climate Control Assembly as 4G7Z-19980-AA, and it, like many other GT parts is OBSCENELY expensive for what it does!.

2. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so how was it resolved?

3. I need a good source for reasonably priced new or USED parts.

I believe the Climate Control Module is the culprit and I want to price it out in case I need to replace it.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

PS, After nearly 10 years of ownership I believe naming this car 'Ford GT' is a mixed bag as internet searches invariably return results for 'Mustang GT' :facepalm:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Not to be insulting, but I assume you have had the console off and inspected the underside of the controls, to make sure that none of the wiring harness clips have been unfastened or come loose? Have you ever put in a short-throw shifter, MAC relocation, or other mods that might have required removing the magnesium console/tunnel, and forgot to reconnect the wiring clips? Just had to ask, since you mentioned neither functioning of the lights NOR the controls on the console.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Hello SFSDFGT,

Thanks for the reply and you are not insulting. :thumbsup

No, I have not pulled the center console (yet) and the center console has never been removed (I bought the car and have been the only owner).

The main reason I have not removed the center console is because the Climate Control Module (CCM) is connected directly to the Climate Control Assembly (CCA, the part in the console) and the CCM is much easier to get to. I plan to disconnect the CCM and measure the voltages on it's pins directly (specifically the reference and illumination voltages).

If these voltages measure out of spec, then the CCM is bad. If these voltages measure within spec, then the problem is a bad connection to the CCA or a bad CCA and I'll pull the console.

Once again thank you for your help. Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Hello everyone. I am in need of assistance from the forum.

PS, After nearly 10 years of ownership I believe naming this car 'Ford GT' is a mixed bag as internet searches invariably return results for 'Mustang GT' :facepalm:

I too am not attempting to insult... you are probably already aware of this.

When searching either through an internet search engine (google/bing) or even with many websites (ebay/amazon) you can reduce much of the Mustang returns by using quotes around Ford GT and a dash (subtraction) in front of Mustang. This forces the search to include results for the phrase 'Ford GT' vs 'Ford' and 'GT' and excludes returns with 'Mustang'.

"Ford GT" -Mustang

Just google "internet search tips" and you will find more than you care to know about Boolean and search operators.

Best of luck with the HVAC issue.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Hello Fenzo,

Thanks for the input. No insult taken. :thumbsup

I do perform searches as you suggested and although it reduces bad 'hits' I still get results from some Mustang and other car forums where their members have a penchant for referring to their cars as 'Ford GT' (without the 'Mustang' moniker). :facepalm:

Thanks!

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Just want to update everyone.

1. The action suggested by SFSDFGT was the best way to proceed. Although access to the Climate Control Module (CCM) under the dash is straight forward, it has a wiring harness that snakes through the center console and connects to the Climate Control Assembly (CCA, the box with HVAC control knobs). So I had to remove the center console after all. The CCM item is also referred to as 'Blower Motor Regulator' or 'HVAC Blower Motor Control Unit' from various online parts sources.

2. After removing the center console (rather straight forward, except the brake bezel which was a B***h to remove) I disconnected the CCA and measured the input coming from the CCM and found no reference voltage or back lighting voltage and according to my 2005 manual, that means a bad CCM.

3. I found the part number for the CCM is: 4G7Z-19E624-BB and MSRP is ~$550. Replacing this unit MAY entail removing the lower instrument panel. Tips from anyone with experience replacing this item would be appreciated!

4. Although the CCA appears to be OK, for those interested, its part number is 4G7Z-19980-AA (Ford) and 24611-PFA (Vintage Air). As stated earlier the price from Ford is confiscatory and I could not find a listing anywhere on the net using the Vintage Air part number.

I'll post any relevant updates.

Thanks!

Last edited:

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
UPDATE and REQUEST:

My GT has been recalled for both driver and passenger side airbag. My understanding is that for the passenger side, the lower dash panel will have to be removed. Therefore I've elected to let the dealer install the Climate Control Module (CCM) as the panel needs to be removed for that as well.

However, the dealer tells me the CCM is on 'backorder' and they're trying to ascertain for how long. In the meantime I wanted to ask if anyone on the forum has or or knows where I can get this part (4G7Z-19E624-BB) in stock?

Normally I'd just wait for the dealer, but it's been two weeks and it's Spring and I miss driving my car :)

Regards.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Try X2 Builders in Maryville, IL for a used one. Look them up on EBay.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Are you sure? I just went to the www.fordparts.com, selected my local dealer for pickup and all I have to do is enter the order. If it were on back order (as parts I've tried to order in the past) I am sure the order system would have told me before it got far enough to take my money.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
@fjpikul
I did not even think to consider used. Excellent idea. Thanks for the heads up!

@twobjshelbys
I just read your post. I'll check out the link you provided in the morning. I really appreciate your help.

I'll update my progress after checking out these potential suppliers.

Regards.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
@fjpikul
I did not even think to consider used. Excellent idea. Thanks for the heads up!

@twobjshelbys
I just read your post. I'll check out the link you provided in the morning. I really appreciate your help.

I'll update my progress after checking out these potential suppliers.

Regards.

X2 hasn't been too helpful in individual parts, they seem more interested in selling whole salvage cars.

As far as trying to order it costs you nothing to go through with a complete order cycle. I didn't want to get one charged to my card should it be live :) If it really is on backorder this should tell you. Good luck!

If you can't get it wasn't the FGT A/C system done by Factory Air? They may have the part (but if Ford can't get it from them maybe you can't either...)

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...If you can't get it wasn't the FGT A/C system done by Factory Air?....

As I recall, it was Vintage Air.

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
I have used parts, however not sure if they are good or not. Would be willing to send them if you wanted to try.
My experience is that X2 is not very helpful. They do not always reply to requests for information and when they do they have two responses-
They won't sell or if they give a price it is higher than Torries price for new.
Joe

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
As I recall, it was Vintage Air.

Yes that is correct (bad memory cells)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you guys think Scott at X2 is not selling parts, you are sadly mistaken.

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
If you guys think Scott at X2 is not selling parts, you are sadly mistaken.

Just passing on my experience with X2. Within the last 15 months I contacted them 3 times. The first time was to ask about a radio and some interior parts, they responded with prices higher than Ford for the interior parts and no response on the radio. The second time was for engine parts, they said someone would call back, no one ever did. The third time was about electronic's, this time the person on the phone said they had none before I could even say which parts I was looking for. When asked what type of parts they did have available, was told they didn't know.
I hope your experience was better. I have seen a few times when people respond on the forum to contact X2, just sharing that it may not be that helpful.
On the other hand I have been mistaken many many times, have been sadly mistaken several times and have been happily mistaken a few times.
Joe

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
just had the same thing go wrong on a customer's GT. nothing worked on the console whatsoever including the A/C button. priced out a new one and almost fainted and hated to tell the customer how much. decided to pull the console anyways since we would have to change the HVAC controller and surpisingly enough, the HVAC control module was totally unplugged from the harness. not a clue how or why. plugged it back in and everything worked great. maybe was never snapped in all the way is all I can figure.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Hello Everyone, just thought i'd post an update about the repair.

It took FOREVER to get the the Climate Control Module (CCM). It involved three dealers and Ford's national customer service involvement.

The CCM was on back-order, and the dealer with my recall airbag parts was not able to secure it in a timely manner. However, another dealer across town was able to find the CCM part. I'll not bore you with details but I discovered that dealers under the same franchise umbrella (i.e., two Ford dealers) are in no way obligated to co-operate with each other when it comes transferring parts! As a result I involved National Ford Customer Service.

With their help and after nearly 5 weeks, I was finaly able to get the CCM and both airbag items (driver and passenger) at one dealer and had the service completed. The problem WAS the CCM, as the old part had a blown capacitor which was the apparent cause of the failure, so my novice DIY diagnostics were correct.

Speaking of DIY diagnostics, I was told by my service tech that I was lucky I did not bend the female pins on the controller harness socket during my testing. Apparently they can be easily bent by makeshift probes (in my case very small paperclips). So be careful if you ever need to test an electrical part at the connector.

As for X2 Builders, while trying to locate the CCM I contacted them via email in an attempt to secure a used version but never heard back from them. Take it for what it's worth. I'll give them one more opportunity as my speedo is bad and we'll see if I get better response.

Finally, I would like to thank all those who responded to my requests for help. The forum truly is a wonderful place for GT owners and enthusiasts!

Eric

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Well, all's well that ends well. Good job; glad it's all fixed. Thanks for the follow up!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Eric, I'd be interested in acquiring your old CCM to see if I can fix it by soldering in new components.