2000 Caterham R500 Superlight $37500

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
PRICE REDUCED Further TO $30,000. You can't get a Carerham chassis for this price! I'm trying to thin the herd….

I have owned this car (belovedly known as the "School Bus") for almost 8 years. I am the second owner. The car was built by Rocky Mountain Sportcars for a well heeled enthusiast in Portland, OR. I purchased it from an exotic dealer in Portland and have used it purely as a track weapon. I have a clean title but never registered it for the road. This car is a go-cart on steroids and certainly represents the most fun you can have with your clothes on. The car was built with aluminum bucket seats, a fire suppression system, no hand brake, and a front laminar lip rather than a windshield. It has a detachable racing Momo steering wheel, 5 point harnesses, and an AMB transponder for timing laps. Tons of CF including the dash. Safety cut-off switch and Odyssey battery.
The motor is a 2.0 Zetec putting out approx. 220 bhp. with JE hi comp pistons, Kent rally cams, aluminum race sump, TWM throttle bodies, TEC-II ecu with integral coil packs, light flywheel and heavy duty 9" clutch. The motor was rebuilt in early 2009 to the tune of $10,000 (I have the receipts). The gearbox is a 5 speed Sierra. I'm 6'4" and didn't want my head to be the rollbar. I had a higher rollbar and side protection bars fabricated, powder coated, and padded. This car is a well know fixture at Motorsports Ranch here in Fort Worth, Tx. I have taken to it COTA (F1 track in Austin) twice and had a blast torturing Porsches, Vette's, Ford GT's, and other high HP cars. It comes with brand new sticker Hoosier slicks. This car is reliable, lightweight (1180 lbs with a full fuel load), and certainly cheaper to track than most sports cars. It is ideal for track days and autoX. I have all records and receipts back to new.
The only "issues" with the car are nonfunctional turn signals (? bad relay or switch...never bothered with it since its a track car) and a worn speedo "quill" off the tranny which has rendered the speedo and ODO inop. There is one small dent in the rear of the car where I bumped it in the garage with my spec Miata by mistake. The motor has 30 hrs since rebuild (I have maintained a logbook). Fluids have been changed religiously and no expense spared on maintainance. This is a weapons grade track machine. Corners on rails and very predictable.
PM me for more pics or info. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 418
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Really nice car and to say it is a "a go-cart on steroids" is an understatement. I have been on the track with this car with AJ at the controls and it is fast. Good luck with the sale.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
AJ, I guess that spec Miata you had at COTA was so much fun you're dumping the 7?!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'm selling the 7 as I am getting old and inflexible. I would like something more comfortable with a roof over my head and a windshield. The car is a blast but after about 30 mins gets uncomfortable since I'm 6'4". Looking at the Cayman GT4. My Miata is a total beater and great for DE's, Chumpcar, 24 hrs of Lemons, etc. It's even a little bit tight size wise.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Good luck sourcing a GT4. Threy're sold out!

Howard

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I have an GT4 allocation thru a friend who is allowing me to spec the car since he is actually waiting on a 991 GT3. Not sure I can get a PTS paint job and the light weight bucket seats are way back ordered and essentially off the menu.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Price reduced to $30k.