Possible gauge protection solution CUSTOMER LIST

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dino, something else in the works. Stayed tuned. Analog is all over it.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Has anyone on the Forum had a gauge failure after installation of Jay,s protective circuit?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I haven't had any gauge failures, but I only have 10k on it. I also never start the car until the computer has fully booted and completed all its hand shakes with the gauges, etc (ie. after the odometer displays mileage).

Last edited:

ttn27

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2014
any news on the ultimate protection device yet?

ttn27

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2014
I haven't had any gauge failures, but I only have 10k on it. I also never start the car until the computer has fully booted and completed all its hand shakes with the gauges, etc (ie. after the odometer displays mileage).

does the chance of gauge failure increase if you start your car before everything is fully booted up?

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
does the chance of gauge failure increase if you start your car before everything is fully booted up?

I personally always crank with the accellerator and clutch down until oil pressure is up, then redo to start the car. Fortunate to not have any guage problems as yet. I did however install the "solution" when it became available as well.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
No one knows for sure what is causing the failures. There are some theories that it's caused by an over voltage surge during starting. Also it's a fact gauges will not function if the battery is low. Starting drains the battery, so logic would indicate you should wait for a complete boot before straining the battery by starting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
Jay, any updates on the fix?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

Good tip! I'm still on my original gauges, but will intentionally do this routine now.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I'm hoping this helps but I have not implemented it yet. I ran a spice model on the idea and the clamp should be located as close to the gauges as possible. By putting it at the fuse block the model responds with some terrible voltage ringing due to the 3 or 4 feet of wire between the fuse block and the gauges. Maybe my model parameters are not correct but this looks like a problem. My theory on the problem is the gauges are servo motors run by pulse width modulation generated by the guage module which is a computer. Computers run fine when they have proper supply voltage but when they are run with lower than necessary voltage they put out garbage data. My thought is as a battery gets weak or a ground gets bad or some other cause causes the voltage for the guage module to be too low to operate properly, it puts out a DC voltage and cooks the servo in a guage or two. Then when the power is turned off and back on the module straightens out and the cause is gone leaving us puzzeled as to what happened. Just my theory....don't shoot. I keep my battery up.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
New data point for this thread.

Just noticed my volt meter appears to be dead. Pegged at 'L'. Doesn't move at all with multiple attempts at starting/restarting the ignition. All the other gauges work.
I used Jay's 'Alternate Method' configuration with the 5 and 15 Amp fuses. Haven't checked the junction box yet, but I assume since the rest of gauges work, the fuse will likely be fine?

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Interesting. If so this would be the first reported gauge failure after installing Jay's protection. Next question would be,,,did the solution fail to provide the desired protection, or did the gauge fail for some other unrelated cause. Keep us posted. Any thoughts Jay?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Interesting. If so this would be the first reported gauge failure after installing Jay's protection. Next question would be,,,did the solution fail to provide the desired protection, or did the gauge fail for some other unrelated cause. Keep us posted. Any thoughts Jay?

Just checked junction box. The 5 Amp fuse did not blow, so the failure is definitely from another cause. I suppose it's possible the gauge actually still works but for some reason isn't getting a signal from the battery. But assuming it's the actual gauge that took a crap, aside from the hassle for me with another expensive paperweight, this proves that there are other modes of failure separate from some electrical surge.

And just to clarify, I always let the onboard diagnostics run and the odometer display a reading before I start the car.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't forget Autometer is making newer, much cheaper gauges.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Don't forget Autometer is making newer, much cheaper gauges.

I bought one of the redesigned Autometer oil pressure gauges when they were released. Cheaper? Yes. Cheap? No.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
my tac failed after the install

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
my tac failed after the install

Well that sucks. No replacement for that one other that the Speedhuts. Anyone else?

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
How's your battery?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
How's your battery?

Good question. Haven't put a volt meter to the battery, but there aren't any other signs that it's dying. Car starts without hesitation and all the other gauges/electronics work fine. Car is usually on a CTEK. Has never been off a charger more than a week or so. But checking the battery is my next step.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Whelp. Now my temp gauge took a crap today. Good thing I haven't replaced my voltmeter yet or the dash would have had to come off twice. Will probably change my battery during my next service just in case. But I think I can confirm with almost complete certainty that this gauge protection solution does not work.