Possible gauge protection solution CUSTOMER LIST

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
New Optima's are $200

I think thats the price point to look at closer...

Batteries in most modern cars rarely last 5+ years; the AC Delco in my DD Vette C6 (40Kmi.) goes exactly 24 mos.

I would say 4yrs max on GT batteries:

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/2013/09/how-long-will-my-car-battery-last

Heat degrades the chemicals; if ur in AZ, LV, CA, TX, FL or track maybe take out tub in summer mos or flip bonnet after long drives.

Should be viewed as a consumable part (eg, fluids, tires, filters) v."lets try and stretch another week/month/yr.". I've done 5-6 yrs on GT Optima and always encountered issues.

Alternatives: guages, tow's, ground strap, jump-start frying modules, Check-engine light, breakdown safety/security are multiples of min. $200...

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I just received the 5 small Autometer replacement gauges. I have burned through 2 temp, 2 fuel and 2 volt meters of the original version. Only boost and oil pressure are original to the car.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
We have a similar problem with the Ford Falcon in Australia. When the Battery is low and you try to start the car, the command module goes dead. the command centre controls the heater Radio, air cond etc, so a pain in the A. lucky I had a 5 year warranty Its not a Ford made part and has to be sent back to the manufacturer as ford don't keep spares.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I have one of these on all my cars now - https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/ctx-battery-sense

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I just received the 5 small Autometer replacement gauges. I have burned through 2 temp, 2 fuel and 2 volt meters of the original version. Only boost and oil pressure are original to the car.

You could have saved money by buying a Speedhut complete panel. I seem to recall you had an issue with the boost gauge not reading correctly after a pulley and tune, or adding a Whipple. If you get the Speedhut panel, you can get a higher-reading boost gauge too.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I already have the Speedhut replacement gauges.

I can't stand the terribly unnattractive black powdercoat they put on the aluminum dash faceplate. I had them send me a plain brushed aluminum version. I took it to have it correctly black hardcoat anodized. You cannot do that with dissimilar metals in contact (Pressed in studs on back side).

You can do it if you break the studs out. In fact it matches the factory piece nearly perfectly. I asked if they would send me one without the pressed in studs so I could Hard coat anodize it and return it for stud pressing. They said no.

Until I get motivated to overcome that, I am going to try the Accumeters. It seems nobody here has either done that or answered my earlier questions if they were indeed a "fix". I will report back if I have any failures.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
12 on my 1st.

I would say 4yrs max on GT batteries:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You could have saved money by buying a Speedhut complete panel.

We have installed a dozen or more Speedhut panels. A most sincere "hat's off" to Speedhut for coming to the rescue with a solution when it didn't appear that Ford was going to come through. The Speedhuts remain a viable option now and I can see for their price point why they may be compelling.

However, there are some compromises. I believe Speedhut offers some alternatives for the real panels now but as for matching the brushed look of the OEM GT panel, I haven't seen it. (Of course, using your OEM panel is NOT an option.) The OEM tach is larger and has a flat bottom. Using a round gauge, the Speedhut tach is smaller. There is a noticeable quality difference between the OEM gauges and the Speedhuts when you look at the background cards as well as the glass that is used.

Don't get me wrong, the Speedhuts remain a nice alternative and definitely still the least expensive. But, for the highest quality and the most "true" to OEM, there are now, at least, additional choices.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Unless you need a new speedo!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
By the way, I have one of Jay's gauge protection solutions that I bought before I decided to go with the Speedhut gauges. Still in envelope, never used. If anyone wants it, PM me. $43 plus a few bucks for mailing.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
PM sent.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
12 on my 1st.

I replaced mine @ 8 years. Original still in use (not in GT) and works just fine.

Never had any problems with battery or gauges.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
However, there are some compromises. I believe Speedhut offers some alternatives for the real panels now but as for matching the brushed look of the OEM GT panel, I haven't seen it.

I was able to match the OEM finish nearly flawlessly. And BTW inexpensively.

Speedhut had zero interest. Zero.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
12 on my 1st.

Maybe contact Optima for high mileage award / sticker ! :)