ClearPlex Windshield Film Review

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Why don't we send Bray Group one of the windshields that are being replaced? Then they would have a permanent form for molding their product. Another suggestion is maybe a group install before, during, and after Rally 10.

The Bray group bought a GT windshield back in 2006 to dO this for us. They were cheap back then. Not sure if they still have it. I am not sure if Clear plex has a good relationship with the Bray group. Anyone with a contact at Clear plex could see if they could get them to make some formed units.

It's been 2 or 3 years since I had any contact with the Bray group. . The last time I called my original contact he had left the company, The girl I spoke with remembered me and helped me out. They made me a few skins for some other GT owners. They only like to sell to authorized dealer now because of past problems with fit and curing. They sold them to me based on my past history with them. I'm out of the country until next week. I will see what I can find out from Bray group and Clear plex when I get back.. .

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brian, Do you recall the minimum number Bray needed to make the thermally formed units?

They told me if they got (35) plus they would buy the windshield. I think they eneded up doing about (50) units. Many bought 2. Like Frank said I hope the glue is still good !! I still have my back up..

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Why don't we send Bray Group one of the windshields that are being replaced? Then they would have a permanent form for molding their product.

I don't know if windshields that are being replaced can be salvaged. Mine was shattered in the removal process. That adhesive is tenacious.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
They told me if they got (35) plus they would buy the windshield. I think they eneded up doing about (50) units. Many bought 2. Like Frank said I hope the glue is still good !! I still have my back up..

Anyone ask if they still have the pattern in their system?

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Sorry if I missed something but I explained this in post #9. As a dealer for them I have them in stock.
I wouldn't have gone to the extent of explaining the manufacturing/installation process if I wasn't involved.
It will be great if Brian can organize a group buy.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Sorry if I missed something but I explained this in post #9. As a dealer for them I have them in stock.
I wouldn't have gone to the extent of explaining the manufacturing/installation process if I wasn't involved.

Based on the discussion in this thread, it's not the purchase I'd be concerned about, it's the installation that concerns me. Is a company rep going to travel around the country installing these to make sure it is done correctly? Most of us don't live in MI close to the installer that's being recommended.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

You're the man, Trent!!!

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Great point Jerry. I know they have a network of approved installers and as long as the skin is pre-formed it is easy to install.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Great point Jerry. I know they have a network of approved installers and as long as the skin is pre-formed it is easy to install.

Hello Trent, The Bray group was pre forming them at their facility. I am not sure what they used. I am guessing a large infrared heater??? How are you pre forming yours? If you have the template for cutting the film and a large heater can't you pre form them and send them out?
I am out of the country for a while. I am not sure when I can do anything. Their should be a nation wide data base of qualified installers on the Clear plex site or on the Bray group site

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Based on the discussion in this thread, it's not the purchase I'd be concerned about, it's the installation that concerns me. Is a company rep going to travel around the country installing these to make sure it is done correctly? Most of us don't live in MI close to the installer that's being recommended.

Their should be a nation wide data base of qualified installers on the Clear plex site or on the Bray group site. There is a guy in my area that did FL Chris's and another GT owners.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Hello Trent, The Bray group was pre forming them at their facility. I am not sure what they used. I am guessing a large infrared heater??? How are you pre forming yours? If you have the template for cutting the film and a large heater can't you pre form them and send them out?
I am out of the country for a while. I am not sure when I can do anything. Their should be a nation wide data base of qualified installers on the Clear plex site or on the Bray group site

The ones I have are pre formed by the Bray group and when I was set up I had to buy 5 or more of each model of interest. I can do a count but I probably have $25k in skins for numerous vehicles.

I have done them on individual windshields, as per their instructions, and have had great success using their meathod using ir heaters. It's not so much the method of heating but more so the monitoring of temperature although ir is the best at even heat.

They definitely do have a nationwide network of installers, we had to go through this training to provide it locally.

I know you or me can set this up, and I am cool either way, but if there is enough interest one of us should shoot the puck, oh sorry " throw the ball" .:biggrin

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm in for 2.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
The ones I have are pre formed by the Bray group and when I was set up I had to buy 5 or more of each model of interest. I can do a count but I probably have $25k in skins for numerous vehicles.

I have done them on individual windshields, as per their instructions, and have had great success using their meathod using ir heaters. It's not so much the method of heating but more so the monitoring of temperature although ir is the best at even heat.

They definitely do have a nationwide network of installers, we had to go through this training to provide it locally.

I know you or me can set this up, and I am cool either way, but if there is enough interest one of us should shoot the puck, oh sorry " throw the ball" .:biggrin

I am in Calgary and would like to get my windshield filmed this summer, how do I get in touch with you?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Stretch marks.

In the center of the photo is an air bubble under the film, which is not the issue. The air bubble is a few mm in diameter. I used it to focus the camera on the windshield. The wavy lines are what I think Trent means by stretch marks. They are what is causing the mirage/shimmer effect. Hard to photograph, but quite visible from behind the wheel.

5D3-9753.jpg

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Stretch marks.

In the center of the photo is an air bubble under the film, which is not the issue. The air bubble is a few mm in diameter. I used it to focus the camera on the windshield. The wavy lines are what I think Trent means by stretch marks. They are what is causing the mirage/shimmer effect. Hard to photograph, but quite visible from behind the wheel.

View attachment 37653

That is horrible and from what I see it looks unsafe from a visibility stand point. That film is very hard and if it's creased it will never be right. I would take a hair dryer to heat it up a little and peal it off. I would see if the installer would buy a preformed one from Trent and learn to install it properly. The Bray group used to have videos on their site. Trent has the in on the film and that's his business,, I got involved years ago so we could have them but really don't have time to reinvent the wheel...:biggrin

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Trent, You are the man when it comes to Films etc.. You should take the lead. I wanted this 8 years ago when it didn't exist for the GT. Now it does and I have been out of the loop on the latest film and forming etc,,, Slap the puck my friend and help the guys out .:biggrin.
With that said I understand from my last conversation with the guys at Clearplex they have evolved the adhesive for better visibility. I would be in for a new back up unit.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I'm in for one, but only if there is someone at Rally 10 that can properly install it. I'm positive there is no one in NW FL where I live capable of doing the install professionally.

I installed my own 3M pre-cut clear bra kit and had to stretch it around all the rounded front and side contours . Whew, what a job in 80F+ and 90+ humidity. Took me 2 days and gallons of sweat. I think I did a decent job and most people don't notice it. Definitely doesn't look as polished as the paint.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I'm in for one, but only if there is someone at Rally 10 that can properly install it. I'm positive there is no one in NW FL where I live capable of doing the install professionally.

I'm in for that deal also