Complete Rally Exhaust Compilation

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
According to the Ford Racing Parts Catalog, NO!

I hear ya Ralphie, but I have one on my car and do not believe the limitations listed in the product description are totally accurate.

I had my delivering dealer install the unit before I drove it off the lot. And if there was any limitation on emissions contamination, the dealer most certainly would not have assumed that liability. I can see no physical reason for the emissions statement.

Yes, the Ford Racing muffler M5230-GT (manufactured by Borla) is slightly louder than the OE muffler but only noticable under hard acceleration. Otherwise it is quite mellow with no driving harmonics. It is certainly more quiet than all other exhaust/muffler options guys are using on their GT's and I was in attendance for the "muffler-off" sound comparison at Rally I and heard them all first hand. The Borla was closest to the OE muffler and only slightly louder.

I would not hesatate in the least to put this muffler on a street driven GT.

I totally agree with you. The Performance Muffler is actually a rather quiet unit, as far as I'm concerned - and, I think it probably would pass a California Inspection. It's just not CARB approved. I gave the response to ObeyMyFast! because I didn't want to mislead him to the effect that it might be "Street Legal" - which is still the case, as it is not approved. I'll bet it will pass an inspection though.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'll bet it will pass an inspection though.

How would inspection station personnel know it wasn't the factory muffler in the 1st place? 'Can't see how they'd have a clue.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
How would inspection station personnel know it wasn't the factory muffler in the 1st place? 'Can't see how they'd have a clue.

Correct - and I don't know of any Inspection Stations that perform a decibel test either - just an emissions test.

However - the question of whether it is "Street Legal" is not whether it will be caught, but rather, "Is it an approved device?" And there, if it has not been submitted for approval and passed, it is not legal. This is the only possible answer to the question posed.

In fact, my M-9430-GTX FRPP Rear Exit Headers have "Ford" stamped on them (not Borla), and people that have asked get the answer - "it's a Ford exhaust system."

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
However - the question of whether it is "Street Legal" is not whether it will be caught, but rather, "Is it an approved device?" And there, if it has not been submitted for approval and passed, it is not legal. This is the only possible answer to the question posed.

Oh, understood from the get-go. I'm just sayin' it's highly unlikely there'd ever be an issue unless 'Fast said, "Oh, uh, by the way, that muffler isn't the one that came on the car!" :wink

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I guarantee that if you get on the rear exit headers anywhere near a peace officer or a smog station, they won't need a decibel meter to figure things out. It isn't a "close call"...

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I have the complete FRPP Rear Exit Headers (P/N M-9430-GTX). with NO cats.

I love them.

Very quiet at low RPM's. However, soooo LOUD at WOT!

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
George,

Looked on your web site and could not find any information on the exhaust for the GT. Can you please send me the link? Do you have a set up for the bumper delete cars?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hollowpockets

GT Owner
May 15, 2014
Aberdeen, UK
Based on that video, the Accufab probably has the nicest sound IMO. lucky that the car I've bought has one, so excited to pick it up!

This forum is great by the way, lots of info and knowledge here which will make ownership a much more pleasant experience.

G

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
We'll have to redo this video this summer. I don't know what camera I was using back then, but it looks like it was filmed with a potato. :lol

This forum is great by the way, lots of info and knowledge here which will make ownership a much more pleasant experience.

G

Glad you are finding it useful!

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I discovered this by accident. I was installing cutouts across the inlet to the outlet of the stock muffler thinking it would sound stock and bad A$$ loud at the flip of the switch. Well it did not work that way. When open I could not hear any difference at idle from stock. Seems the sound is out of phase with the inlet and outlet and the noise cancels even though the exhaust is bypassing the muffler and mostly going straight out the exhaust tip. When you drive the car you get a nice deep sound with absolutely no resonance and an athorative sound. When you step on it you get what you would expect...but not reduculous. The muffler runs pretty cool too since only 10% or so of the exhaust goes through it. I took out the cutouts as they were not needed. I have a 3 inch pipe from inlet to outlet. I put the Ford Cat delete muffler pipes in and run the stock muffler bypassed and love it. I still have the weight but the car was designed for it so big deal. I don't get any crap from the wife now about the sound and people think it sounds like it should.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Need to do static...

[video=youtube;Oih5v8wGGJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oih5v8wGGJo&list=UUFR0ZRDcjcCHlqqfa4laI0w&feature=share&index=1[/video]

...and drive-by...

[video=youtube;t3BDEZFj-Mw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3BDEZFj-Mw&feature=share&list=UUFR0ZRDcjcCHlqqfa4laI0w[/video]

...and listen on good speakers.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Hope the camera person had earplugs.....

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Nice camera work. Love how the camera Twisted rom the noise.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sounds GREAT Xcentric, but my car is still faster.