Think this is what you call a barn find - a project to keep me occupied for some time

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sometimes your day doesn´t really turn out the way you planned it :wink:facepalm:

Given how few vintage US car actually are here in Denmark, it was a surprise to me that my new restoration project had been stored less than 1 mile from me for the past many years. (from the import papers I see the car was imported in 1981 - and has never been registered in Denmark yet)

Background for the purchase was that I had advertised on one of the local car forums about buying a Corvette that I could drive for the summer. I ended up buying a 81 C3 targa in the US (full LS1/T56 conversion) but a week ago I was called by someone who knew that this 64 coupe could be purchased if I reacted quickly ..... and so I did :biggrin:facepalm:

I guess I know where all my pocketmoney will be going for the next 3-5 :wink:facepalm:

IMG_1037.jpg

Last edited:

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Actually I get 2 coupe bodies as part of the deal so maybe I´ll go build me one more vintage racecar as well :wink

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Former owner had been planning the upcoming restoration for years so as part of the deal it looks like at least 80% of all the parts I need to finish the resto is actually included ..... from full interior to suspension parts ..... really not as stupid a deal as my wife thinks it is .... I will still be sleeping on the couch tonight though .... but she´ll calm down eventionally :wink:facepalm:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Cool deal! Hope the couch is comfy.

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
I'm going to guess you don't have earthquakes where you are to have that body sitting up there like that! Looks like a great car for a aftermarket frame and a LS engine!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I'm going to guess you don't have earthquakes where you are to have that body sitting up there like that! Looks like a great car for a aftermarket frame and a LS engine!

Agreed seems to be the preferred way to restore at the present time

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Anders ,
That is awesome! I can’t wait to see it when I am over in September!
I am however surprised that you are not use to the couch!
Looks like a great project.Be sure to post the restoration process for us!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Former owner had been planning the upcoming restoration for years so as part of the deal it looks like at least 80% of all the parts I need to finish the resto is actually included ..... from full interior to suspension parts ..... really not as stupid a deal as my wife thinks it is .... I will still be sleeping on the couch tonight though .... but she´ll calm down eventionally :wink:facepalm:

Funny and I know the feeling... about 6+ yrs ago I bought my what I call the Ikea Vette, a 65 in 1,000 boxes.. All parts included. Well its finally finished now. Minor things like power window switch when it gets off the lift soon if the frigging ice melts. All I can say is good luck Anders - I've been there and done that.

One mod I suggest if you want to play hard with the vette is upgrading to 65 disk brakes with a dual master cylinder. If you have any questions or need any parts I still have 4-5 boxes laying around as I to was told "everything is here and OEM" to find out every seller and buyer have a different meaning of OEM not just the parts but what shape they are in....

PM me your email and I link you to a google drive with the pics of my restoration...

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Since the car is not a matching numbers car - I won´t be doing a concours restoration. I´m going to keep it fairly correct on how it would have looked in the late sixties/early seventies. And I will keep the color combo of White exterior and red interior. Will probably put on the Classic Torq Trust "D" 5 spoke wheel as I usually do on most of my vintage cars - I´ve always loved that wheel design.

Right now I´m trying to sort out all the parts - the joy of buying a disassembled car :frown - and also trying to decode all the casting numbers and codes.

Lots point in the direction that the engine/transmission/rear differential was replaced with something from a 1969 car. Engine block seems to be a 1969 (still unclear if it is a 327 or a 350 - but most likely a 300 hp base - even though the headcasting could indicate the heads being from a LT1 car (1970-71?), the transmission is a M21 from 68-70 and the diff looks to be a 3.08 positraction out of a 427 1969. Engine has just been refreshed with Crower roller rockers etc. so all in all the engine and transmission looks promising - but it is a real mixed combo of parts seemingly from the 68-71 period.

In Denmark we are actually not allowed to modify vintage cars much - unless we want to pay a tax based on real time value and not old "in period" value - so a LS1 swap would be both difficult to get approved by inspection as well as could mean thousands in extra taxation .... and if built right, a old school smallblock engine will be plenty strong for a driver. I´ll get real world 350+ hp and that will be just fine:wink
I will upgrade suspension a bit with composite springs, gas shocks, adjustable strut rods etc. but nothing fancy. I will probably upgrade to 1965 specs in term of 4 wheel disc brakes.

Frame already was delivered to the bodyshop for the repair and blasting - so step on is to get the roller finished so I can concentrate on the body from there ...

Fun times ahead :wink

The LS1 / T56 swap I have on my newly purchased 1981 Corvette (since it being so new - I can get away with it :wink ) This car is to be my daily driver for the summer ..... I think it´s a pretty cool car .... always liked the rear end / big glass window of the 78+ Vettes.

7.jpg

6.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited: