Carlisle, PA

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
:eek sweet!

:O Embarrassed to ask... and no joy via google... but

Was the Graham Hill car (#7, silver/blk) fitted with gold/silver wheels front/back on purpose or what it just what happened to be available?

What's the story?

GH7.jpg
FORD-GT-66-69-24h-Le-Mans-Tribute-by-Marco-van-Overbeeke-20.jpg

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Enjoyed that. Thanks Dave!

Vince H

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
That's neat Dave. Love those color schemes. Thanks.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Maybe the angles, but do the door and tail roundels look strange not being on a flat(er) surface?

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I would think for the Le Mans race they would have square sticker with the number by the door hinge like we have used at the rally.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
cool photos!

Ed

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Awesome photos! Damn I love this car!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Love the old school paint schemes on the new car. Wonder if I would have the nads to paint or order one with the copper colors of the '66 H/M #4 & #5 entries.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
:eek sweet!

:O Embarrassed to ask... and no joy via google... but

Was the Graham Hill car (#7, silver/blk) fitted with gold/silver wheels front/back on purpose or what it just what happened to be available?

View attachment 37474

This car, XGT-2, was an Alan Mann Racing Le Mans entry that was built at Shelby's LA facility, with Alan Mann's crew doing the work. It was a Mark II with a lightweight roof structure, and was driven by Graham Hill/Brian Muir at Le Mans, succumbing to a broken suspension around midnight.

All of the old photos of it at Le Mans show it with the gold front and silver rear Halibrand wheels, but there are a number of photos showing it at other races with gold painted Halibrands both front and rear.

Here is a picture at the start of the race, as Hill got away quickly and led the field for a number of laps before being overtaken by Gurney.

View attachment 37784

The Exoto Model of this car is quite accurate in it's representation in it's 1966 Le Mans configuration -

View attachment 37785

View attachment 37786

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
That cars looks awesome (any color).

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Very cool. Thanks Ralphie!

I'm guessing that in the heat of the moment the color of the wheels didn't make the list of things to be concerned about.

One of these days I'd like to cosmetically (and temporarily) mod my silver/black as a tribute. Just need to find gold spray on, peel off wheel paint.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Love the "teardrop" effect around the headlights on the white one. Think they would ever offer something like that from the factory? Hell, for $400K you should be able to get any replica design/color you like.

As for the Holman-Moody bronze tones, I'm in. Just read something that said my bronze metallic Pantera is one of around a dozen in that color made in '72 - out of about 2000. I'm sure she would like a stablemate.