Paddles

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I notice the paddles on the new GT look to be the stalk mounted design like the Ferrari/Nissan, and not the steering wheel mounted like McLaren/Porsche.
Most of reading I have done seems to indicate the logic of steering wheel mounted paddles is superior and preferred with high performance driving. The stalk mounted systems seem to be more popular with magazine writers and shuffle steer drivers.
Dave, do you have any insight on why Ford would choose one over the other?
Personally, I am hoping the final GT design is steering wheel mounted. :biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Making both available as a no cost option would be worthwhile and a first.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have used both styles . I personally can get use to either,but prefer the big stock mounted.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If you are using good hand placement discipline, the paddles are where they should be. Otherwise they have to be very long.

The longer they are, the more difficult it is to keep the paddle stiff and not have deflection in the system.

It's possible to miss shifts in the McLaren because of so much compliance in the system.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If you are using good hand placement discipline, the paddles are where they should be.

50 shades of grey.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Mostly depends on steering rack ratio. Really quick turning cars like the Ferrari the column mounted shifters are fine. Cars with a slower/lower turning ratio need wheel mounted shifters. When the wheel is past 1/4 lock the column shifters are in the wrong place.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I appreciate the comments. Just have not spent enough time in a stalk mounted system to have an opinion. I am so used to steering wheel paddles now it just got me to thinking. :biggrin

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Sounds like you've been spending time in an SR3, Apollo!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Sounds like you've been spending time in an SR3, Apollo!
Hi Kenneth!
:biggrin
Too funny, as recent as a couple hours ago... Love the SR3 paddles. :thumbsup Today was sunny and clear, mid 70s, just beautiful. Big VARA event was out on the other track with some really cool vintage iron.
Hope to see you soon. Monica says hello.:wink

Last edited: