Viper Marketing

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Got this today. Not sure what to make of it. Doesn't really make me "want to go out and buy one".

The Viper Club of America is pleased to provide you with information from Dodge regarding its new, exciting Viper 1 of 1 program. Unique Vipers for unique, performance minded people.

All the details are laid out in the 2 page Dodge brochure, orders are now open, the pricing starts at $94,995 and you get the following unique benefits:
•25 million combinations to make your Viper truly unique (8k colors, 24k stripes, 9 wheels, 16 interiors, and 6 aero packages)
•Concierge service (real time build updates, questions answered through the process, and up-to-date photos)
•You also get a 1-of-1 badge, exclusive access to a VIP portal to follow the build, and a speedform for custom color orders
•Expedited shipping available

The Viper Club of America

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Great idea but might be too little too late? Trying to answer some of the early criticisms of the build process and lack of communication with customers.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Desperation

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
another Albatross

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"...the pricing starts at $94,995 and you get the following unique benefits:
...(8k colors, 24k stripes, 9 wheels, 16 interiors, and 6 aero packages.)...Concierge service (real time build updates, questions answered through the process, and up-to-date photos)...1-of-1 badge, exclusive access to a VIP portal to follow the build, and a speedform for custom color orders...Expedited shipping available"

The thing that was actually needed (IMHO) wasn't on that list: an available 750 (or whatever) HP 'upgrade'.

I could be wrong ('often I am), but, I thin' the Viper crowd would faaaaaaaaaar prefer the latter over the sum total of the former.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
HP is the last of the Viper's problems. It would probably do marginally better, but not much.

The ultra-customization deal is risky business. It's good in theory but it's like a restaurant: you let a guy sub in pineapple cottage cheese and anchovies in his spaghetti and then when he tells everyone "Mario's served me the shittiest and most disgusting meal" you still take the blame. That guy in his horribly-specced Viper driving around is still driving a Viper.

Ford brought this to Chicago:

16324606139_e8e7d9c469_o.jpg

SRT brought this:

464437.jpg

464442.jpg

This is more indicative of the problem, not raw hp.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Dave, are you serious? That's really the displayed flagship? OMG!!!!!!

I like your analogy with the resturant. Yea, I don't know how this will appeal to the masses. People that are gonna spend 100K on a car want a few classic colors, maximum performance, and good looks.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yup. That's the car on display. And it has 4 different wheels. The point is to show how wild you can customize under the new program, but I think people are just more likely to remember seeing a crappy looking Viper.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
1 of 1 that NO ONE would ever buy. What a a great idea for resale!!!!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Like McLaren has done with this.

Not a wrap.

10728818_10205268066207054_391920595_n-610x250.jpg

10749397_10205268066087051_236877473_n.jpg

10736211_10205268066247055_73135441_n.jpg

Cobraguy

GT Owner
HP is the last of the Viper's problems. It would probably do marginally better, but not much.

The ultra-customization deal is risky business. It's good in theory but it's like a restaurant: you let a guy sub in pineapple cottage cheese and anchovies in his spaghetti and then when he tells everyone "Mario's served me the shittiest and most disgusting meal" you still take the blame. That guy in his horribly-specced Viper driving around is still driving a Viper.

Ford brought this to Chicago:

16324606139_e8e7d9c469_o.jpg

SRT brought this:

464437.jpg

464442.jpg

This is more indicative of the problem, not raw hp.

I too cannot imagine a manufacturer allowing customers to bastardize ..er...I mean customize these cars in this fashion. I am a fan of the viper for what they represent even with their shortcomings but if enough of these tacky units are allowed out they will loose the small amount of street cred they have worked so hard for, regardless of their performance attributes.
The Viper at BJ last month was an absolute abomination....I realize it was created to demonstrate the paint possibilities but man oh man!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Wow, isn't that like bringing a knife to a gun fight?

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Wow, isn't that like bringing a knife to a gun fight?

More like bringing spaghetti with pineapple cottage cheese and anchovies to a gun fight.....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I once put a paint job like that on my mom's car when I ran over some wet road paint. It didn't look good on her car either.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Wow... I am shocked that they would really bring that car to any car show. I am sooo glad I switched over to Ford 10 years ago... What a difference a decade makes. Ford really does have a better idea!

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Comparing the new GT to the Viper is literally like comparing the Viper to a Prius. Price wise.

Never mind questionable choices at a car show.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
It didn't work in 2010, which if some of you recall, was looking like the end of the Viper, until the Gen V was announced sometime later on...and they had all these 2010 "1 of xx", overpriced special editions. Still, they sat on the floors unsold...and they made only 500 in total.

It won't work today either...someone at SRT needs to learn a thing or two about marketing and market pricing...

Sad though...as it's a great car, but badly priced and even more poorly marketed...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Comparing the new GT to the Viper is literally like comparing the Viper to a Prius. Price wise.

Never mind questionable choices at a car show.

They certainly aren't in the same category price wise, but I think the valid comparison is that they are both meant to polish the badge of their respective marques. It's pretty difficult to make the case the Viper is doing that for SRT right now. One of the things I always pay attention to at the auto show every year is how the crowds are around the various cars meant to attract big attention. The Viper stand has been dead every time I've gone by it at Detroit for a number of years. Z06 stand was swamped comparatively.

Plus, this. :lol

dodge-viper-srt-gt-1of1-16-1.jpg

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Plus, this. :lol

Hard to make an argument for that one, but I'd still take it over a Prius. At least they have the stones too keep it in production, for what... nearly 20 years? Even when they have to shut it down, they have come back.

Sometimes when you hang it all out it gets cut off.

What would GT marketing look like in it's 20th year? Could the GT had survived a 20 year run? I wish they had tried.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Probabley why you can buy a new Viper GTS for under $100k. It will still have the window sticker on it that say $142,xxx.