Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Just because it's in print doesn't make it legit. Esp when there is no one quoted in the article.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just because it's in print doesn't make it legit. Esp when there is no one quoted in the article.

And especially anything from that source.

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
I know you guys are right...just no "new news" and surfing for anything...desperate for info and grasping at straws....:facepalm:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
This is too funny:

Ever wonder where HorsepowerKings.com gets some of the info that forms the basis of their reports? Yes, most of it is straight up made up. But sometimes, they are working inside sources. :lol

Here's a clue:

http://horsepowerkings.com/sources-2016-ford-gt-will-weigh-around-2900-lbs-could-cost-around-400000/

Horsepower Kings report on March 27 said:
Check out all the race goodies that you get with this car:

Comprehensive carbon fiber construction (Carbon-fiber passenger cell, carbon-fiber body)
Active Aerodynamics (Dynamic Aero Technology)
Dual Clutch Transmission
Pushrod Suspension
And the 3.5L TT engine is a straight race motor. For reference, the old GT motor was about $36k to replace and we guarantee that this 3.5L is going to be well north of that.

Remember, this new GT was designed to race at LeMans, with a road-going version being of secondary importance. And that’s a good thing, by the way.

You also have to consider that this won’t be a higher-production, four-thousand unit car like the 2005-06 Ford GT. The production quantity of this new Ford GT will be much lower – expect 1,000 units over a four-year period. Between the exotic construction and the low production volumes, trust us – it’s going to be a expensive car. As in, $397,500.

Furthermore, Ford isn’t exactly naive of current exotic market values. They are well aware of the fact that the market value of the older Ford GT (05/06) hovers around $240,000 – and sometimes examples come up in $300-500k range, depending on how low of mileage and options.

It’s unrealistic to think that Ford would release a far more sophisticated, higher performance, low-volume specialty car – ten years later – at a significant discount to the market value of the last one. If they did, that would just ensure dealers add on $150-200k right off the bat, which is likely anyways.

Look at the overall exotic car market as well. It’s easy to find a 650S with an MSRP around for $350k. Same for the 458 Speciale. Even though they are not similar in purpose, the Aventador shares some construction commonalities with GT, and they are on the market for $450,000 all day. Even the Nismo GT-R is a $150k car, and the Porsche Turbo S now starts at ~$184k. The new Ford GT is going to be a long, long way from that.

And then...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ed-the-FGT&p=14683699&viewfull=1#post14683699

It's not a $200k car, or close. Just look at what's in the car. I've posted it before but find the cars that check all these boxes:

Full CF construction (CF passenger cell + CF body)
DCT
Pushrod suspension
Fixed Seating
Active Aerodynamics
And the engine is basically a piece of race hardware. The old GT motor was about $36k to replace and I guarantee you this 3.5L is going to be well north of that.

Then you have to factor in that this will not be a 4,000 unit car like the 05/06. Significantly lower. Between the exotic construction and the low production volumes, it's going to be a expensive car.

You also have to factor in that Ford isn't stupid. They are aware that the market value of the old car hovers around $250k and sometimes trades between $300-500k depending on mileage and options. It's unrealistic to think they would release a way more sophisticated, much higher performance, low-volume specialty car ten years later at a significant discount to the market value of the last one. If they did, that would just ensure dealers add on $150-200k right off the bat, which I think is likely anyways.

Look at the overall market as well. It's easy to find 650S cars with MSRP around $350k. Same for Speciale. Even though they are not similar in intent, the Aventador shares some construction commonalities with GT and they eclipse $450k all day. Hell, even a Nismo GT-R is $150k and a Porsche Turbo S now starts at ~$184k. Ford GT is going to be a long, long way from that.

I mean for ****s sake, have the courtesy to switch it up at least a little more! I knew I thought those words were pretty familiar.

:lol

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Horsepower Kings lurks here too. Let' see what we can conjure up:

DBK says it will surprise everyone, and come to market with a base MSRP of $299,999.95 Cdn.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Yea, for everyone thinking their dealer is getting one or put a deposit down, read this from the article:

A small number of dealers have reportedly been asking for deposits or offering priority spots to customers who agree to pay a high markup.

“That dealer has no idea if he or she is getting one,” Hinrichs said. “Nobody knows, because we haven’t made a decision yet.”

Like Dave said, don't give anyone any of your money!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'm sure that Galpin will get one.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I'm sure that Galpin will get one.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I opened the link and when I went back it said I needed a subscription. It probably keeps track by cookies so on my other computer I got it to open and copy here:

Ford grappling with premature demands for $400k GT supercar
Hinrichs: 'We're not going to make everybody happy'

NEW YORK -- Ford Motor Co. has a problem, though not necessarily the worst kind: Too many people want to pay about $400,000 for its upcoming GT supercar.

But no matter the demand, Ford won’t make more than 250 GTs a year globally, due to carbon-fiber production constraints, Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s president of the Americas, said today. That means a delicate allocation process, which Hinrichs said the automaker is working on now.

“Two fifty’s the number,” Hinrichs said. “It’s such a limited few -- we have to figure out how do we reward the right customers. We’re not going to make everybody happy.”

Even if all 250 went to U.S. dealers -- and they won’t, Hinrichs said -- that would mean fewer than 10 percent of Ford’s roughly 3,000 retailers would get a GT in its first year. That hasn’t stopped some dealers from starting waiting lists, which have already grown rather lengthy at a few large stores.

A small number of dealers have reportedly been asking for deposits or offering priority spots to customers who agree to pay a high markup.

“That dealer has no idea if he or she is getting one,” Hinrichs said. “Nobody knows, because we haven’t made a decision yet.”

Hinrichs said it’s also too early to know whether dealers who want to sell the GT or any other upcoming vehicles in the newly created Ford Performance division will need to meet certain requirements or do anything to qualify. The GT, which will be built by Multimatic Motorsports in Ontario, will go on sale in 2016. Ford hasn’t revealed the price, though Hinrichs said it would be in the range of several ultra-luxury cars that cost about $400,000.

“We’re hoping to manage the process so we don’t have a lot of price inflation,” Hinrichs said.

For the previous GT, which was sold for the 2005 and 2006 model years, Ford executives personally approved applications for the first cars, though inventories eventually caught up with demand. A Missouri man sued a Ford dealer in 2005 over a purchase contract that included a $60,000 markup on the car’s $150,000 sticker price.

Among Ford’s less-expensive, higher-volume performance models, dealers can begin ordering the Mustang GT350 and GT350R in May, and the F-150 Raptor and Focus RS are scheduled to reach dealers in 2016.

Ford is displaying a silver GT at the New York auto show starting Wednesday, the same car that was at the Chicago show in February. Hinrichs said the company has made three GTs, including a red one that hasn’t been seen publicly yet.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
So after those comments who in their right mind would give any Dealer a deposit on a 2017 Ford GT?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
“Two fifty’s the number,” Hinrichs said. “It’s such a limited few -- we have to figure out how do we reward the right customers.”

wtf? What makes one a "right customer?" Explain Joe.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
“Two fifty’s the number,” Hinrichs said. “It’s such a limited few -- we have to figure out how do we reward the right customers.”

Bill Ford

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Extremely poor choice of words.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Please note, they are saving the BEST color for last release. Go RED!

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I think this was taken out of context. A very close friend of mine was present during this interview (actually pretty casual setting) and the intent was actually in our favor for many of us. Without elaborating too much, the "right people"are those true die hard individuals who will promote the brand and not flip it ($$$) after getting it. This process of determining (selecting) recipients will be more involved than you can imagine. Stay tuned.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^

Well put.