Cumberford trashes NSX design

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
"It’s very hard to mess up the styling of a mid-engine sports car. The mechanical layout, very desirable to serious racers, allows excellent proportions for a two-seater, and it just seems emotionally desirable to most of us. So, yes, it’s very hard to screw up, but Acura has managed it."

http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...2016-acura-nsx/?eml=1053556&sp_rid=4146609586

I'm looking forward to his GT analysis.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I don't mind the car overall, but that front end/grille is just yechh.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The Japanese are great at making cars, but unless they are copying another one, their designs generally stink.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
The Japanese are great at making cars, but unless they are copying another one, their designs generally stink.

Then you'll love China. ;-))

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
The original NSX was and still is a timeless and beautiful design. The new NSX is pretty attractive, with the exception of "the beak", that's just wrong!!!
The new NSX will do what the old one did, and that's make all of the "supercar", hybrid types (918,P1, LaF) look way overpriced. It's performance target was the 458, and I believe it will more than acheive it's goal.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Then you'll love China. ;-))

Brought to you by the Chinese Consumer Protection Agency...,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aTxbbvCf3zY

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The original NSX was and still is a timeless and beautiful design. The new NSX is pretty attractive, with the exception of "the beak", that's just wrong!!!
The new NSX will do what the old one did, and that's make all of the "supercar", hybrid types (918,P1, LaF) look way overpriced. It's performance target was the 458, and I believe it will more than acheive it's goal.

"Pretty attractive" isn't a ringing endorsement of the design of a $150k plus car. Are you going to tell me it has a nice personality too? :lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
A native Californian, Michelle Christianson, was the lead designer.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A native Californian, Michelle Christianson, was the lead designer.

I see Acura is blaming an American for the design. Very shrewd.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I see Acura is blaming an American for the design. Very shrewd.

If you're in blame mode, you can blame Americans for much Japanese design. Look at all the Toyota disasters designed by Calty...Avalon, Solara, Venza, Yadda, and more Yadda.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Brought to you by the Chinese Consumer Protection Agency...,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aTxbbvCf3zY

I am trying to find a law school that specializes in auto related litigation - with a emphasis on imports and IP. Time to work the other side of the fence.

Have to give Geely credit, a smart move to acquire Volvo. Transform your weakness, into your strength.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^In this case, you'd end up litigating the federal gov't that allowed the cars to be sold after failing crash tests. GLWT!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
One of the interesting aspects of working across the various OE's, is the opportunity to compare and contrast their various styles, processes, strengths and weaknesses.

Toyota and Honda in particular over the past years, have suffered as they have transitioned power first to, and then from, the US subsidiaries. Decisions as to leadership in design, engineering, product have seemingly been in a constant state of transition for years now - provides a real lack of focus. Evidence can be often be found in generic design and product engineering.

This is one area where Ford (for instance) can leverage a competitive advantage if it can define who it is, and transfer that vision (consistently over time) to product. Today for instance, there is a clear emphasis on Ford Performance, but will that still be an important identifier for the brand in 2020?

The NSX product has some awesome drivetrain potential, but the exterior design seems lacking in interest and execution, comparative to the GT. It's a safe design, but doesn't take much risk. And if you agree that Acura mgmt. left something on the table', then IMO, look to the ownership, not the US subsidiary.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
^^^In this case, you'd end up litigating the federal gov't that allowed the cars to be sold after failing crash tests. GLWT!

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. :wink

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Today for instance, there is a clear emphasis on Ford Performance, but will that still be an important identifier for the brand in 2020?

Only if the world embraces Ford Performance. To some extent, part of the world already has. We are finally going to see some of the variants that the Europeans have already been enjoying.

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Only if the world embraces Ford Performance. To some extent, part of the world already has. We are finally going to see some of the variants that the Europeans have already been enjoying.

Well, I'd say you have a duty to define who you are, or you run the risk of letting customers and/or competitors do it for you. And if you do it really well, it evolves, but doesn't change direction over time.

As to EU, I think if they had a choice (import economics normalized), there is some of our US product that they would like to have these days.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^My guess was, and is, the Mustang with EcoBoost will do very well in the EU. I hope it does. It is worthy I think. But EU protectionism still thrives.

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
is that a buick

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Look at all the Toyota disasters designed by Calty...Avalon, Solara, Venza, Yadda, and more Yadda.

I can't believe you're dissing the studio that brought us the design masterpiece that is the FT-1.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
:ack