Blizzards suck!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
We are getting absolutely clobbered south of Boston. Winds are in the 60's. 2 feet of snow, but I have no idea actually how much, as we have exposed grass, and 4'-5' drifts in other places, from the wind. A lot of wind driven snow in the attic, blown in through the soffit vents. Waves have crested our dock (we are good as we are up on a hill with a seawall). We are also in a protected bay thank goodness. Luckily only a 9' tide today (vs astronomical highs in the 12' range). Next town over, 100' of sea wall has been breeched, very high power outages down the cape, and all of Nantucket is powerless. 25+ waves out in the ocean. All of Massachusetts is completely shut down today.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Holy cow Andy that is bad news. Hoping that you guys come out of this as best as possible.

Vince H

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Surf up in Malibu; mist burning off in Mulholland Hills. :)

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I drove the GT to work today....

So glad its not our turn.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Be safe out there in MA!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
UV index is "high" again. Where's the sunscreen, honey?

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Hey Spec,
We dodged it in Westchester NY, but our two boys are based in Boston.
Keep your head down and stay safe.
Best,
Mark

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Are you close to Scituate Mass - showing seawall there on CNN right now. Very happy I DON'T live in a snow zone!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yeah yeah yeah.... I'm sure beautiful in most of the places you all live.... Boo.

Yes scituate is 2 towns north.

Went outside a little bit ago, nasty out still. Schools are already cancelled for tomorrow, Boston, will decide tomorrow if their schools will be closed Thursday also.

Luckily it has been so cold, 15 deg, so the snow is light, which is why, relatively, power has not been as big as a factor as one would have expected.

Summer is way more fun.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Summer is way more fun.

Yes, I agree with you, it's sunny 70 deg in So Cal today.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'll bet the children don't say "blizzards suck!" :wink

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Tough crowd here today...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Well, you could always move to say, Iowa. No seawall or tide worries.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Nope, they are both sick.

I'll bet the children don't say "blizzards suck!" :wink

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ohhh....that is sad. Get well soon kids...there will be plenty of snow for you!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
77 and sunny here today:cool

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Winds are in the 60's. 2 feet of snow, but I have no idea actually how much, as we have exposed grass, and 4'-5' drifts in other places, from the wind...(we are good as we are up on a hill...)...All of Massachusetts is completely shut down today.

We had 3' of snow here back in 1996...Nor'easter with 40-50 mph winds for 2 weeks...temps around zero. My place is located on top of a hill, too, but, juuuuuust enough on the leeward side of the crest to cause said Nor'easter to blow up-and-over the top of the hill and over the top of our house...so, we don't get 'smacked' directly.

'Power was out for 14 hrs at one point - that's what finally persuaded me to buy/install an aux generator (even though we're inside the city limits). 'Have used it only twice since, but, one of those 2 times was on Christmas day back in '03 or so. :willy:willy:willy

(The Christmas day thing was a riot! In the early AM hours, ours was the only house FOR MILES AROUND that was lit up! Cars would actually slow down to a c-r-a-w-l by our place as drivers tried to figure out why WE had power and no one else did! :lol)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Please Send Snow

The High Sierras have been wishing for storms as big or bigger than Winter Storm Juno that the northeast has been reeling under. In times past, a 3-6 foot snow storm has been welcome for both the skiing public, and, more importantly, to provide the water needs of the states of California and Nevada. Back in 2010, Mammoth Mountain received over 17 feet of snow in the month of December. Of course, the Sierras are known for such heavy wet storms, and have the snow removal equipment necessary to keep such storms in check. In times past, I can remember waking up to 3' in the driveway, clearing it, going to work, and coming home to have an additional 2' waiting for me, as the storm raged on. Back in the 1980's, there was a February when it snowed every day. And of course, wind on the ridges are typically between 90 and 125 mph during even the lightest of storms.

Such is not the case this year, though. The Sierras are experiencing another major drought, for the 4th year in a row - which will have many impacts throughout the nation, due to the commodities that California's Central, Sacramento and Imperial Valleys provide. The ski area is surviving, due to its ability to make snow over most of the skiable terrain. We've seen droughts before, but not to the degree of the last 4 years.

About the only nice feature for me was that for today, I was able to get out my GT and go for a drive. It was a little over 30° at noon today, so, after my doctor's appointment, I got out the GT and drove to Bishop, picked up some parts for my truck (filters, headlight, fluids, etc.), and returned home (~100 miles). It was a pleasant journey in clear weather (& dry roads), and upon returning, I re-parked the car, hooked up the battery tender, added my 2015/2016 license sticker, and put it back under its cover.

The #2 car is well and waiting for action, running as hot and good (maybe better) as the day (long ago) that I retrieved it from the San Diego showroom. And, my truck is happy to be serviced for winter weather survival.

View attachment 37185

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Another foot today. 45" in the last 10 days and that's on the water at Logan. Central mass is in the fifties, again just in the last 10 days.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
We got a bunch yesterday too. Area high was 16.7" for the day. Really light snow though. Can't even make a snowball out of it.

Not going to complain. Even with yesterday we're still only around 35" for the winter. We were closer to 60" this time last year, and it was way, way colder. Last year was absolutely brutal.