Continental Tires For Our GTs?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Spotted this ad Today in Road &Track magazine

While I love their choice of vehicle, I would think they would make certain they provide tires for the car they present.

There are a couple sizes that would work on the front. Nothing near wide enough for the rear. The car is sporting the BBS wheels and the enlarged photo is a different BBS wheel.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think they make a 325 30R 20"

Couple guys run them on their GT500's.

I am guessing that is what they are going for here.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Continental has always had a few tires to fit our front wheels, but I never found any that would fit the rears. I generated this table back in 2010 to evaluate the various tire sizes versus our OEM Goodyears -

View attachment 37152

Source of Data Info - TireRack

Last edited:

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Is that DBK on a dirt road?????

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Largest tire I could find was 305/30x20 and it was a different tire than in the ad. Maybe their website is not up to date. If they use a car with 18 and 19 inch wheels they should provide a tire for such. Otherwise it is implying "this tire is good enough for, and used on, Ford GTs."

I admit I'm anal about this stuff as I used to work at the ad agency for Bridgestone tires. :biggrin.

Last edited:
Ralphie,
this year in Le Mans at the vintage-meeting we had such a thing as you have in the US, a big gathering organized by Francis Breitman, chef of the european GT Club. On this meeting i have spotted several 2005 or 2006 GT's with 20 " wheels, front and rear, from different manufacturers, which i cannot recall, and i think a german car had Continental tires. I spotted some french and swedish cars with 20" Michelins.

So maybe the ad was likely to bring people to buy Continental tyres fitted on BBS rims, maybe the company which has made the ad is distributor in the USA of both brands, BBS and Continental ?

By the way,
for my 2005 GT i do use (for track use only) the BBS in 18" with slicks either from Dunlop, Yokohama or Michelinl

Felix from Switzerland

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Largest tire I could find was 305/30x20 and it was a different tire than in the ad. Maybe their website is not up to date. If they use a car with 18 and 19 inch wheels they should provide a tire for such. Otherwise it is implying "this tire is good enough for, and used on, Ford GTs."

I admit I'm anal about this stuff as I used to work at the ad agency for Bridgestone tires. :biggrin.

I went back and looked. I screwed up, it was. Dunlop, not Continental in 325 30/R 20. :facepalm:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ralphie,
this year in Le Mans at the vintage-meeting we had such a thing as you have in the US, a big gathering organized by Francis Breitman, chef of the european GT Club. On this meeting i have spotted several 2005 or 2006 GT's with 20 " wheels, front and rear, from different manufacturers, which i cannot recall, and i think a german car had Continental tires. I spotted some french and swedish cars with 20" Michelins.

So maybe the ad was likely to bring people to buy Continental tyres fitted on BBS rims, maybe the company which has made the ad is distributor in the USA of both brands, BBS and Continental ?

By the way,
for my 2005 GT i do use (for track use only) the BBS in 18" with slicks either from Dunlop, Yokohama or Michelinl

Felix from Switzerland

Continental has always had a few tires to fit our front wheels, but I never found any that would fit the rears....

I have not looked at tires since ~2010, so I don't know what is now available. At the time, I only looked at tires that would fit the OEM wheels, 18"x9" front, and 19"x11.5" rear. I did not evaluate other sizes such as 20" etc, as they would not fit on my OEM wheels. As such, I have chosen only tires that fit the OEM wheels, and I run the OEM Goodyear tires on the street (I am a conservative driver on the road and like their rain capability), and the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on the track (and on the road to get to the tracks).

I will try to look at the tires currently available, and update the table presented, but only for the OEM wheels, as to change wheel sizes is far to complicated for me.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The same ad is in this months MotorTrend.