While supercar world awaited Acura NSX, nobody saw Ford GT coming

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
From Automotive News:

DETROIT -- After three years of teasing, Acura was finally ready to show off the production version of the $150,000, 550-hp NSX. Comedian Jerry Seinfeld smiled from the front row as photographers jammed the risers behind him.

It was in that carefully planned moment that the Ford GT, which had been revealed about two hours earlier, arrived at its home on the next stand over, drawing a sizable crowd of its own.

Whether that timing was coincidence or not, the GT managed to steal some of Acura's thunder for the second time that morning. With even more horsepower than the NSX and almost no one expecting it, the GT barreled into the Detroit auto show the way Kramer used to burst into Seinfeld's TV apartment.

The supercar showdown quickly became the talk of the show, epitomizing the optimism and exuberance that has blossomed after several years dominated by modesty and practicality.

"The business case is never why you do a vehicle like this," Ford Executive Chairman Bill Ford told reporters moments after the GT first roared onto a stage in the Detroit Red Wings' arena.

"It's really a statement vehicle. It really does give a halo to the entire lineup that ultimately will drive more sales."

cont.

Full article at:

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...d-awaited-acura-nsx-nobody-saw-ford-gt-coming

Quotes from Mr. ENZO BTR in here.

Tomcat

GT Owner
The NSX forum was not too miffed. The current NSX owners/enthusiasts seem to embrace the light, simple, direct, no-nannies feedback from a balanced analog car...so that era has essentially passed.

Acura says the new NSX is a 25 year update to the New Sports car eXperimental theme...not a remake of the 1991 NSX.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I vaguely recall seeing something going by the moniker "NSX" while at the show. What I remember most is a big chrome parrot beak. I know aesthetics are very subjective, but what a bland, oddly styled car. Perhaps that's what NSX buyers want.

Apologies to Rex, if he did, in fact, order one.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I just have been on NSX prime a few times since, but I think lots of guys were less than impressed with the asthetics!!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I vaguely recall seeing something going by the moniker "NSX" while at the show. What I remember most is a big chrome parrot beak. I know aesthetics are very subjective, but what a bland, oddly styled car. Perhaps that's what NSX buyers want.

Comparing apples to bananas. I'm OK, don't worry, thanks for your concern.:biggrin

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sorry Rex. I was blinded by the halo over the GT. I like parrots.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
AWWWWK! Polly wants a GT, Poly wants GT.......

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Seriously, I know the NSX faithful have been waiting eons for the new car. I'm glad you'll be able to get one. From what little I've read, it should be a giant killer. No one builds an engine like Honda.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
If you can look at a birthday suit would you want Rosie or Charlize ? :lol

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

Isn't Honda famous for being "bland". Kind of like a Timex watch but with a big dial bezel.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
What's an NSX?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
What's an NSX?

A heavy Japanese hybrid car. Aka: a Prius on steroids.

Ed

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California

Ed

Ha!

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
After looking at the new Ford GT first hand yesterday at the auto show the NSX and all other cars just looked simple to me......

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My guess is those who buy the NSX are going to have a blast with it, while there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth among all who lust for a FGT2 and will never get one.

I hope the NSX turns out to be worth the years of anticipation. The first NSX is still way cool. May the new NSX turn out to be a worthy successor.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Ed

In a few months you may have the opportunity to re-visit that assessment. Try it.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I still remember years ago when the NSX was first introduced. I thought it was a nice looking car so I went to the local Acura dealer in SFL because I wanted to see one firsthand. They had a red NSX roped off in the showroom. I asked if I might be allowed to get inside the ropes to have a closer look and maybe sit in the car. I told the manager that I might be interested. He told me they weren't allowing anyone near the car and he was sorry he could not honor my request. Maybe he didn't like my looks? I had driven up in my Jeep wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Should have maybe driven the Carrera? Anyway, I turned and walked out. Since that day I have never given an NSX a second look.