Aerodynamics?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Wow, I doubt seriously the Le Mans version will have the filler cap there. I'm betting it moves up to the top of the buttress. Just read the GTE class rules about the fuel station. I just don't think that port will work.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It is a race car first a street car second, why compromise the performance to provide room for larger people. Most race drivers are quite small with some exceptions but not many.

It's a race car first and a street car second. Sorry if it's a little inconvenient for you but passengers not allowed on the Mulsanne straight. :)

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
A question for you Tony. Do you have experience with Le Mans? Or is it just a healthy interest, and reading the regs and interpreting them? Curious.
:)

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Race car first, street car second.....kind of the same philosophy as the Carrera GT, although it never got homologated. Fuel tank is behind the driving compartment in the NFGT as in the CGT. I think the NFGT may be more "raw" than our FGTs, more like the CGT, 360CS, Scud, Speciale.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
It is a race car first a street car second, why compromise the performance to provide room for larger people. Most race drivers are quite small with some exceptions but not many.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, did somebody make a statement one way or another regarding performance vs. comfort?

Napolis

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2015
I like the new Ford GT a lot.

This car was designed to bring Ford back to Le Mans (In GT not P).

They will have to sell 1000 street examples.

I agree with their choice of TT V6 as in endurance racing it can make maximum HP allowed with lower weight and better fuel consumption which is Key these days as it allows fewer pit stops and in some races total fuel is regulated. These engines can also be tuned to make huge torque which is what you need to overcome drag which is what downforce producing shapes also create. The problem all car companies have when designing cars that will race in GT is that, unlike us they have to fit a cockpit that is wide enough to fit two large people. This width is more than the minimum required by the GT rules and it this case will present more frontal area than for example our car and also effect carving away the front fenders to channel air to the rear wing. LMP's are shaped the way they are for a reason. To move air around the cockpit, not over it to the rear wing. Our car for example is much closer to LMP1 so much so that we can make enough downforce without having to raise the rear wing to it maximum allowed height thus reducing drag and increasing VMAX with regulated HP. The key is aerodynamic efficiency ratio, how much total (downforce less lift) downforce can you make for similar unit of drag. Our design will be more efficient than this one for that but is more extreme looking. This new Ford GT should work very well against Ferrari's 458 GT. It's carbon center section is better than Ferrari's alum chassis, similar to McLaren's, but as both have alum rather than CF subframes the base car will be heavier than our's which is an issue as even with required minimum weight using ballast which you can put very low down in the center of the car vs heavier front and rear subframes to reduce CG and polar mass for better handling.

My guess is that they will have 2.2G's of mechanical grip, make total down force of about 2000LBs, have an aerodynamic efficiency of about 2 and a drag ratio that gives them a VMAX of about 285KPH. (At the Ring). In Le Mans trim it will make less downforce and have less drag.

Look forward to racing them in 2016.

As an aside we'll likely have J6 at Pebble this summer and our new one, SCG 003C at Geneva and The 24 Hours of Nurburgring this May.

Cheers

For comparison SCG 003C and a shot of J6.

Attachments

• attachmentscg003.jpg
    attachmentscg003.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 164
  • attachmentscg003r.jpg
    attachmentscg003r.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Fordfrontquarter01.jpg
    Fordfrontquarter01.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
^Welcome Napolis. Nice first post. Are you the Napolis from Ferrarichat by any chance?

Napolis

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2015
Yes

Jim Glickenhaus

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
So Jim, what color is your GT? :)

Napolis

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2015
So Jim, what color is your GT? :)

So far we have two race versions SCG003C (Competizione) built, and one Road Version being built SCG 003CS (Competizione Stradale) which will also have a 3.5L TTV6.

You'll have to come to Geneva and The Ring to find out. :)

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
I believe we have a mutual friend in Mr Mutsch. :)

Napolis

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2015
I believe we have a mutual friend in Mr Mutsch. :)

We do.

He did great during our last test.

Video on our FB page.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Yes

Jim Glickenhaus

Hello Jim !! Welcome to the forum !! I am a big fan of you and your projects. We briefly spoke in Palm Beach when you brought some cars to the Palm Beach Supercar weekend some years ago, back when John T was involved...

You brought the Yellow Ford GT #2, The Lola and the Red P4/5 one off street car creation you did with Pininfarina !! That car is still one of my all time favorites !! If you've never seen this car you are missing out. The P4/5 has some of the largest most dramatic voluptuous curves you will ever see on a car !!

You were very cordial to all and fielded a lot of questions. I was delighted to hear the Ford GT fire up and drive down the street because it's street legal !!!

Last edited:

Napolis

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2015
Hello Jim !! Welcome to the forum !! I am a big fan of you and your projects. We briefly spoke in Palm Beach when you brought some cars to the Palm Beach Supercar weekend some years ago, back when John T was involved...

You brought the Yellow Ford GT #2, The Lola and the Red P4/5 one off street car creation you did with Pininfarina !! That car is still one of my all time favorites !! If you've never seen this car you are missing out. The P4/5 has some of the largest most dramatic voluptuous curves you will ever see on a car !!

You were very cordial to all and fielded a lot of questions. I was delighted to hear the Ford GT fire up and drive down the street because it's street legal !!!

Thanks!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Ha, Jim, when I read your first post, I'm thinking "wow, this guy must be affiliated with Glikenhaus racing". Then I read the following posts, and boy, was I ever close to being right! ;-) Welcome to our forum, great to have you here, and LOVE LOVE LOVE your cars!!!

Napolis

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2015
Thanks.

Should any of you ever be at an event I'm at please say hello.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
So...the 3.5 TTV6 is provided by???

Napolis

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2015
Our race engine is based on a HPD Honda developed by SCG and Autotechnica and badged SCG.

We're developing two road engines TTV6 and TT W12. Our race car will be easily convertable to a road car and back again.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It's good to have you post here. J6 was a great addition to the GT40 display a couple years ago at Amelia. Love that car and the fact you've driven it on the street.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Looking forward to seeing the reveal of the SCG 003 at Geneva !!. Maybe if I can't get my hands on the new Ford GT the SCG 003 could fill my need for an exotic looking Track / Street car !! I agree with your philosophy of light and simple . I have always bought in to the KISS mantra. .. It must be very satisfying to see your ideas and dreams come to life !!