A solution or two for dealer mark ups/adm fees on new GT!!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I have heard there will be people already willing to pay 600-800k too own one of these cars right away//

This is a four year run specialty car that will probably not be all that profitable for Ford! There is no reason dealers should be able to clear 100-200k+ on the sale of one of these cars and that is also why prices will be higher than most believe they should be as Ford knows this is coming!

My solution is this!
Ford opens up order bank/lottery for these cars at all dealers across the country on X day.. The dealer may have a list already of people who wants to be in line to order but everyone who wants to order can place an order of 1 car per person and a NAME has to be placed for an order. Ford then takes all those names and sees if its over the 300 cars (or number they will produce) and determines a way of who will be able to purchase for the first year of sales. (IE original owners/buyers, current owners, history with buying new Fords etc) I believe even the dealers who want to in house keep the car should be in the lottery as well knowing they may/may not get one and would have to go into someones name! Secondly there will be a MSRP and the dealers can not charge any admins over that. They will have their cost and that will be what they make. They can not charge people for being on the list cause it will not matter Ford will pick the names and chose who will be a first run owner.

Now the one issue i could see here is a person could find 10 friends to go and place an order hoping to stack their odds. This would also remain an issue because the person who places the order will have to register it and then the car would immediately be a second owner car for anyone pulling tricks. That would maybe not mater to some but will stop many from trying that trick..

Or Ford can just balls up and tell dealers if they charge admins( and first person list fees) on car they will have a large fine or take a chance at having their dealership card pulled. I know Bmw dealerships were told they could not rape people on new i8 and they would be in deep sh!t if they did.

Next option is Ford open up their own website for ordering of cars and people can just go register, pick dealership they want to pick car up at and that is the dealership that will sell at msrp, make their small profit and move on! This would be an excellent blindside to dealers who are already banking on making a huge payday on this car!

Just a few thoughts to keep things in check..

Dan

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Ordering directly at Ford ? Ask the Tesla guys how that is turning out in some states :)

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Ordering directly at Ford ? Ask the Tesla guys how that is turning out in some states :)

Who cares about an electric car tho???? .00000000023 of the population....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Something posted in another topic by a forum member also raised a flag. I think the system should discourage multiple purchases by the same buyer until there is excess production. That means simply that no one person should get more than one vehicle from the first year's production. I think dealers will have issues if they sell all of their allocations to one person (or collaborative with the express purpose of buying all they can get so they can resell).

I also think that the system should somehow discourage a dealer getting a car and then putting it on eBay (which is just a form of uncapped ADM).

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Who cares about an electric car tho???? .00000000023 of the population....

The point is that state franchise laws prevent direct sales. Ford isn't about to run afoul of these laws to make sure some buyers with an entitlement mentality get a car.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The point is that state franchise laws prevent direct sales. Ford isn't about to run afoul of these laws to make sure some buyers with an entitlement mentality get a car.

"The allocation strategy that works best is the one that makes it most likely I end up with one." - Everyone, Ford GT Forum, January 2015. :lol

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
"The allocation strategy that works best is the one that makes it most likely I end up with one." - Everyone, Ford GT Forum, January 2015. :lol

That works for me!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

No kidding. There is a very simple way to get a car: write the bigger check.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
No kidding. There is a very simple way to get a car: write the bigger check.

I was talking to the sales guy at the Ferrari dealer today and they have all 3 of their LaFerraris getting delivered soon. All of the guys buying them have past supercars/hypercars and will likely want more in the future, which is why the showroom was littered with Enzo, F40, 288 GTO, 599 GTO, etc.. It's easy for them, they say "sure, you pass the test, we'll sell you one at MSRP" but the guys know if they sell the car, they're done and will never see another new Ferrari at MSRP again. For most of the guys in that bracket, an extra $1 million isn't enough to lose that relationship.

Ford doesn't have that luxury. People can talk all they want about loyalty, but with no repercussions, the reality is many original 05/06 owners would buy the new car and immediately sell it for $100-200k over MSRP. How many owners would be willing to sign on for the car while giving Ford right of first refusal to buy it back at MSRP for some substantial time period? I suspect not nearly as many that would like Ford to guarantee the car gets sold at MSRP.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
How many owners would be willing to sign on for the car while giving Ford right of first refusal to buy it back at MSRP for some substantial time period? I suspect not nearly as many that would like Ford to guarantee the car gets sold at MSRP.

If this is a census, the count is now 1.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

:lol

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
What the h*** 4 .....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If this is a census, the count is now 1.

You might want to remember, guys, the "right of first REFUSAL" is just that. It's not an agreement to buy the car back at MSRP within "X" amount of time.

:wink :biggrin

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You might want to remember, guys, the "right of first REFUSAL" is just that. It's not an agreement to buy the car back at MSRP within "X" amount of time.

:wink :biggrin

Future value is not a factor to me.

On this date, to purchase something in late 2016 or 2017 would also be a "right of first refusal" contract. Lots can change in two years.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Future value is not a factor to me.

On this date, to purchase something in late 2016 or 2017 would also be a "right of first refusal" contract. Lots can change in two years.

Curious why future value of PHX is of no concern but the value of your Heritage is constantly on your mind?

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
And that production is stopped after I receive mine.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Curious why future value of PHX is of no concern but the value of your Heritage is constantly on your mind?

Fungibility

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Fungibility

Sounds like something you should have checked out by a doctor:)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Exactly. We get the car back if it's worth more than you paid, have fun with it and let us know how it works out if it tanks.

And that production is stopped after I receive mine.

Of course!