Another Price Spectulation Thread - for under $200K

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Here's why I think the price of the NFT should be under $200K...
  • Carbon tubs are nothing new anymore, the BMW i3 has it for $45K, Alpha 4C isn't much more than that.
  • Carbon skins are dime and a dozen, Gen V Viper, Bimmer M's, and C7 Vettes, all under $70K to $90K
  • Push rod suspension doesn't cost much more to manufacture
  • Adjustable shocks can be found on cars under $50K
  • 600+ HP can be found on cars like a Mustang, Vette, Viper, all under $100K, 700+ is the standard now
  • Twin Turbo V6, the lowly Nissan GT-R's block can handle well over 1000HP, Nismo GT-R is already at 600 HP last year
  • Carbon Ceramic brakes can be found on Vettes, new CTS-V, lowly Porsches, all for under $100K
  • Fixed seats were shown by Ferrari many years ago on the Millechili concept car and would even save costs
  • Movable pedals has been on Vipers for over a decade
  • Digital dash??? Two iPads in the dash and let the programmers go at it or look at what's on $20K Japanese cars
  • Sync 3, hummm.... buy a Flex and use their system, then throw the rest of the car away
  • Bihedral doors? $138K BMW i8 has them and so do many $15K rice rockets
  • 200+MPH, even four door sedans can get there for under $70K, Hellcat Charger

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the car, just that what Ford presented simply wasn't state of the art, there's no hydrogen fuel cell, no giga watt battery pack, no nuclear reactor on board, and the general public will still choose a Ferrari or Lambo and pay $100K premium for the same features and performance. And that's why I say Ford should and hopefully price the car for around $200K, then of course there will be a long line to get one but it is better to produce one less car than demand than to have bad press on cars sitting in the showroom floor getting highly discounted (read Nissan GT-R now with $10K dealer cash or Viper with a $15K MSRP cut).
The best advertisement for Ford is to be able offer such a competitive car at HALF of the competition's price, as most if not all the manufactures can build competitive cars at prices more than the competition.
Ford then should offer a loyalty program to those who purchased FGT's new and allow them to put the orders in early at MSRP, especially those who have crashed their GT's and now GTless as those folks really drove their cars for what they were meant for....:willy

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
'05-'06 Ford GT, $139K was $10K below a zero option F360 and $20K below a 911 T.

My prediction is $235K, right under a zero option Hurracan.

Six figure Fords are still hard for lots of people to understand.

You can count on stupidity;and we all took advantage of it last time around.

Last edited:

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
A car is more than the sum of random parts, it's the design and engineering that make it what it is. An iPhone 6 is more than the chips and metal, same thing for the GT. Development costs will be in the hundreds of millions.

If this car comes in under 250k then fist fights for it will break out in Ford dealers across the world from people wanting one.

I seriously doubt anything under 300.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If this car comes in under 250k then fist fights for it will break out in Ford dealers across the world from people wanting one.

Strong argument for $150,000 ADM's

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Will be interesting to see what Ford does with that.

When I got on "the list", the dealer indicated that they didn't have any info on allocation, MSRP, or what Ford would "let" them sell the car for. While these franchised small businesses known as dealerships can generally set their own prices, I'm sure that Ford has a lot of influence via the allocation and also allocation of other "hot" cars.

So, does Ford let the free market run unfettered, or does it avoid the bad press / feelings associated with massive ADMs, since FMC isn't pocketing the extra $ anyway and at an MSRP sale Ford can reinforce its image of providing world class performance at a good value? There is precedent: Back in the day, I got a new F360 Modena at MSRP when the used cars were selling way above MSRP. Ferrari just made you wait, but you paid sticker.

Sooooo....thoughts?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It will all come down to production number. High number (greater than 2000), not only means that some amount of demand can be met but also means that they will have small ability to spread out parts costs and R&D. According to Dave, they started design in 2013 so the model for R&D $$$ has changed a lot but it is still high, tooling for parts has got to be astronomical on this puppy so pray for a high production number... that's all I can say.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Whoa! Another old time member that comes out of the woodwork! Welcome back Bruce! I still have the parts I bought from you.

Macman

May 13, 2013
OP I definitely agree with a lot of your points. I don't think it will be reasonable for Ford to start encroaching on the exotic pricing. They have always offered performance for way less than the competition. When I talked with my local dealer and got on his "list" his best guess was that there would be a dealer lottery and pricing under 200k. But again dealers know just as much as us at this point in time.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The only way the price of this car starts with a "2" is if Ford plans on making much more than than the rumored 1,200. Otherwise, it's probably $350k plus.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Whoa! Another old time member that comes out of the woodwork! Welcome back Bruce! I still have the parts I bought from you.

You just reminded me I have a lot more parts to sell, will have to make a list and start a for sale thread soon.

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
The only way the price of this car starts with a "2" is if Ford plans on making much more than than the rumored 1,200. Otherwise, it's probably $350k plus.

I agree. Lots of wishful thinking and rationalization regarding pricing on these threads. If the car is produced in the rumored number range, regardless of the MSRP it will sell for well above that….could easily be double that number. Based on some of what I've read about this car (granted much conjecture), one major conceptual difference between it and our cars is that this is a "race car" that is being transformed into a road car. Our cars, I think were designed as road cars with significant race car potential. This is great on many levels…I just hope that Ford has enough time to test and refine the racing technology for road applications (since they seem to have a short window). Otherwise, the car may have some reliability issues which among other things could affect value and overall perception.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
x 2.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
A car is more than the sum of random parts, it's the design and engineering that make it what it is. An iPhone 6 is more than the chips and metal, same thing for the GT. Development costs will be in the hundreds of millions.

I seriously doubt anything under 300.

^ Agreed.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I might get pilloried for suggesting this, but if I were Ford I'd produce much less than 1,200, sell them for even more money, and then quickly follow up with a mid-engined FPC competitor to the expected Zora in the $125k-150k price range. Ford doesn't need to make many Phoenixes (Phoeni?) to further burnish its image anyway. A relative few will do. Ford has always lacked a proper sports car to compete with the Corvette and it should strike now while the iron is white hot.

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Ford has already stated they built this car for one thing and one thing only! Speed, quick shifting,racing,light weight, and a return to lemans.. Lemans requires 300 cars a year and a minimum of 100 cars to be in hands of public to be able to race! With that being said there is no way Ford plans on building a ton of these cars. At 1200 cars there is no way that they can sell them less than 350k a car to make money or even break even on the developmental cost, tooling, building to build them in and training to build them...People are gonna hate on the projected price and say that its out of line because of Ferrari, lambo, mclaren etc. But this is another once in a life time thing for Ford so if its 400k its 400k!! So all should prepare. This is NOT going to be a 150k, 200k, 250K, or 300k car and Ford reps have also stated to media its exclusivity will be different than prior GT! The first 300 are going to be gone like water at 400k...........

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Personally I have accepted the fact that I´ll have to wait until someone @ Ford release the price .... until then lots of guessing :rofl

Maybe someone will give their opinion on this question though?

When people talk about the development costs of this car - does it make any difference when it being done by a small team like on the new FGT compared to a normal development proces taking much longer time and involving many more people.

Wouldn´t the cost become lower as the team is very small, the proces very lean and focused and technology being transferred from already paid for racing activities???

What is your take on this?

:cheers
Anders

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Personally I have accepted the fact that I´ll have to wait until someone @ Ford release the price .... until then lots of guessing :rofl

Maybe someone will give their opinion on this question though?

When people talk about the development costs of this car - does it make any difference when it being done by a small team like on the new FGT compared to a normal development proces taking much longer time and involving many more people.

Wouldn´t the cost become lower as the team is very small, the proces very lean and focused and technology being transferred from already paid for racing activities???

What is your take on this?

:cheers
Anders

You are correct, this car is a race car first - so compromises for the street this time around.

The cost of a few direct labor folks in the development is not going to affect the total cost of engineering the product.

Believe it or not, I believe Anders has a much better chance (in Europe) of getting a car than we do (in the US). US dealers will ADM the s**t out of it. Europe in general just thinks Ford is a maker of econo-boxes. What few allocations do go to Europe will probably sell as pre ordered at MSRP.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Too bad US$ is rising :(

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I was giving some thought to what the new GT could cost
At the low end, What is the competition? Lambo Huracan, McLaren 650S? The new GT will have more technology than a Lambo Huracan (dry 3100Lbs) so it seems reasonable to price it above $250K. With a McLaren 650S coming in around $270K with a carbon tub, but small turbo V8, that could be the low end.

At the high end of the range the Lambo Aventador (4085Lbs) is all carbon but has a V12 so the new GT with a V6 will find it harder to compete at $400K.
If it weights significantly less than the Huracan, however; it may be able to command more $ in spite of the V6.

Since limited production and car will be closer to a race spec, my guess $340K since I think it will be much lighter.
I think the V6 is going to cap the high end significantly.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
And at $340 they will sell every one instantly...