The new Ford GT: is it worth it?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
From the Telegraph (UK).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/motoring/58507/the-new-ford-gt-is-it-worth-it.html

Would you pay £250,000 for a Ford? That's the question on Michael Harvey's lips as he profiles the model unveiled at the Detroit motor show this month

Michael Harvey BY MICHAEL HARVEY JANUARY 16, 2015 14:07

Here’s something to ponder this weekend; would you pay £250,000 for a Ford, even if it did look as striking as the Ford in the pictures? Launched earlier this week at the Detroit motor show, the “new” Ford GT is, despite appearances, not a concept car. If Ford is able to stick to its schedule, production of the car will begin later this year so the car can be on the road to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Ford’s extraordinary run of four straight wins in the Le Mans 24 Hour race, starting in 1966.

"Extraordinary" because winning at Le Mans, and beating Ferrari in the process, was not what Ford was supposed to do back in the 1960s. Today, and despite a subsequent and even longer spell on top of the world of Grand Prix racing, building a supercar is not what you expect Ford to do; they are - even with Z-Cars, The Sweeney, The Professionals and all that - an American company and American’s don’t do supercars, Europeans do.

On the face of it, the specification of the GT would tend to confirm that. It has none of the technology that’s taken the latest and extreme products from Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche to a new level of performance. But then as you might expect, it’s nothing like as expensive as the LaFerrari and its gang. There’s no confirmed price, just a suggestion of “somewhere between a Ferrari 458 Speciale and a Lamborghini Aventador”, so that’s somewhere between £208,000 and £265,000 then. Let’s call it a quarter of a million pounds and at that price it is on the money, albeit with one glaring exception.

Ford says the GT prototype is made entirely of hand-laid carbon just like its more exotic (and more expensive) rivals. It will have active aerodynamics. It will have what Ford is describes either as “the best” or “among the best power-to-weigh ratios of any car” depending on who is speaking, courtesy of that carbon structure and its 600bhp engine. Its 600bhp, twin turbocharged V6 engine.

Yes, a V6. And not a V6 as part of a complex hybrid drivetrain with electric motors and generators here there and everywhere to cover for its deficiencies. Just 3.5-litres in capacity, Ford’s Ecoboost V6 is not entirely without pedigree, albeit an obscure one, but it is a V6 and V6s have not had a very good press recently, cited as one reason the world generally lost interest in F1 last year.

In past F1 cars have had V8s (like the Speciale) and even, in the dim and distant, V12s (like the Aventador). V6s struggle to sound spectacular, therefore rarely make an appearance in supercars, the respected but largely unloved original Honda NSX an exception.

Is Ford about to make the same mistake? Well its motives for opting for the V6 — very heavily turbocharged in the GT to extract that amount of power — are laudable. Yes, Ford is launching a new sporty sub-brand - Ford Performance - as well as rolling out its Ecoboost-branded, high-efficiency drivetrains across the planet.

The GT then has the tricky task of acting as poster child for both programmes, although the two are not as contradictory as they might seem; environmentally responsible performance is the thing these days - that’s why F1 cars run those whispering V6 hybrids.

And Ford of course does have form, those GT40s that ripped up Le Mans from 1966 through ’69 rank among the great racing cars. Ford has paid tribute to that car before with the previous GT, a suitably muscle-y V8-powered tribute that turned everybody’s head in 2004.

That GT was a recreation in spirit of the GT40, notionally a recreation but in fact a much more sophisticated and indeed more beautiful car. The project was guided by Ford’s previous head of global design, J Mays, and perfectly embodied his “retro-futuristic” take on design (previously Mays was at VW/Audi where he launched the new Beetle and the Audi TT).

Highly collectable now, the GT sold in large numbers although crucially not quite in the numbers Ford imagined. Crucially because the GT had the right engine and absolutely had the right look. On paper the new car has neither, although the nose and cabin of the car are clearly from the same line. The rest of the car is not. It’s a complex, wild-looking beast, the work of Brit Chris Svensson under the direction of May’s successor Moray Callum (brother of Jaguar design director Ian).

It was executed in secret in less than a year, meaning that if Ford does get the car in to production this year the whole process will have taken less than 24 months, which is very quick for a car, even one that does not involve the creation of heavy, expensive metal-bashing machine tools. Ford then has its work cut out, especially if it is to keep to its weight target. (Making the whole thing smaller would be a start there, BTW team. The last car was verging on the un-driveably wide on European roads and this car is even wider). But Ford has always been the most sophisticated of the American manufactures, the most European. It has the engineering and design talent, but will the GT find a market?

More robust performance brands than Ford have struggled with supercars and the new GT doesn't so obviously call on its heritage as its predecessor (although Ford does intend to take the new car racing). Ferrari for one doesn’t see a huge amount of growth in demand for supercars and is instead concentrating on extracting more margin from its existing market while shoring up the rock-solid investment potential of its cars.

Can Ford bust that paradigm? The original GT40 was designed to break Ferrari’s stranglehold on the racetrack, but I can’t help but think that, 60 years on, Ford is going to find that a whole lot harder to do on the road.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
My favorite thing about this article is how it references "Brit Chris Svensson" as having designed the car, while I just read an Australian piece saying " the GT’s lead designer, however: Hobart-born Todd Willing, a 12-year Ford Australia veteran..." :lol

Many nations and many men will continue to claim ownership of this design.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ill have an opinion when we all know what it actually does cost. So far it sure seems like it will be worth it.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Is the new car wider than the 05/06?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
At a hair short of $400K (250K Quids) and if available to a layman like me, I wouldn't trust any Ford dealer to maintain and work on the car, maybe we'll have the GT Guys or Cool Tech part Deux for this one.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Is the new car wider than the 05/06?

Just about the same. Looks really wide in pictures standing on it's own because the greenhouse is so narrow.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
My favorite thing about this article is how it references "Brit Chris Svensson" as having designed the car, while I just read an Australian piece saying " the GT’s lead designer, however: Hobart-born Todd Willing, a 12-year Ford Australia veteran..." :lol

Many nations and many men will continue to claim ownership of this design.

"sucess has many parents, failure is an orphan". Can't remember who said that, but its oh so true.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Can't recall his name, but I think the winner of last years 'Motor City Masters' is REALLY the clandestine designer of this car...
andy(ajb)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
answer me this, if this car was unveiled by any other car company knowing all you knew about it so far what would you expect it to cost? I think a lot of speculations are riding on the back of the 05/06 Gt and how successful that program was. If mclaren or ferrari had build this with a v6 and no hybrid technology no one would even buy it!

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Harvey: "But Ford has always been the most sophisticated of the American manufactures, the most European." ??? :bs Sit on it Potsie!

Harvey: "Highly collectable now, the GT sold in large numbers although crucially not quite in the numbers Ford imagined." This is probably why I have one, when values crumbled all the way back to MSRP. :biggrin

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Just wish Ford would've used the new GT350 flat plane crank and twin turbos. For the price Ford is going to price it I would expect a V8.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
DBK, I don't mean to quote you out of context but this post stuck with me: "They expected way more show queens, not a bunch of super modded monsters getting whooped on. The level of use the 05/06 GT has gotten greatly pleases the team."

I know, I know.. a lot of speculation now, and 99% of it will be wrong in the end....but it seems that a limited production with a huge price tag is a show queen recipe. Opposite of a hoon invite (Enzo, LaF, 918).

If the life of this car is relegated to youtube clips of Leno/Seinfeld putzing around, or only to those of Sultan stature... who cares?!:confused

Had the wife buy a lotto ticket yesterday, so I'm putting a lot of my new GT eggs in that basket. :thumbsup

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Marchione clipped Ferrari wings, and chided them for low production/wait lists or another LaF; Euro is crashing, doubt Porsche will do more 918-like, McL...who knows, they go from boom to bust too.

Days of Hyper- are sorta past; Veyron even ended.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
The "hyper" cars with hyper price tags, and whatever is the opposite of hyper availability, are fun to look at in pics and read about but always make me hear the late Stewart Scott quoting the Spear; (in Scott's voice)

Full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing.

Hopefully the new GT is as the old, new GT: Cool as the other side of the pillow. :biggrin

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Awesome car... I hope I have one in my garage soon... and... it will be driven not a garage queen!

Last edited:

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
DBK, I don't mean to quote you out of context but this post stuck with me: "They expected way more show queens, not a bunch of super modded monsters getting whooped on. The level of use the 05/06 GT has gotten greatly pleases the team."

I know, I know.. a lot of speculation now, and 99% of it will be wrong in the end....but it seems that a limited production with a huge price tag is a show queen recipe. Opposite of a hoon invite (Enzo, LaF, 918).

If the life of this car is relegated to youtube clips of Leno/Seinfeld putzing around, or only to those of Sultan stature... who cares?!:confused

Had the wife buy a lotto ticket yesterday, so I'm putting a lot of my new GT eggs in that basket. :thumbsup

FENZO, that's what I think too. Hopefully we are wrong and one may be obtainable so it can be driven. I know there will be some who buy one that will "drive" it, but the vast majority won't. A post was made based on one of my comments earlier about someone with a Enzo who put 30K miles on it, but that is gonna be extremly rare.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There will certainly be a number of garage queens, but that's not a surprise. Look at the number of 05/06 GTs available with 2-8k miles and that car is now 10 years old! Ferrari pumped out 360/430/458s non-stop and they too can be had with under 10,000 miles all day. There will definitely be a number of people that stick the new car in a collection, and there will definitely be a number of guys that beat them mercilessly.

Ultimately it comes down to raison d'être. Raj said the new car grew out of a discussion about how to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1-2-3 finish at Le Mans and a desire to put Ford back on the leading edge of technology. That in mind, how do you approach the production of the car? What are your goals? How concerned are you with availability on the open market? Do you sacrifice performance or technology in the pursuit of raw sales? The 05/06 was a pure road car built as a company gift to itself for it's birthday. Expectations were different.

We shall see what happens.

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
It's amazing how hot these cars are right now and how much people think they know about them. Barrett Jackson just sold a silver 2005 for 320k and the announcer claimed they made 2027 cars. Very specific number to be so wrong.

I hope they build a couple years worth so those of us dying for one can buy one. I'm starting to worry that will be a very lucky few. Come on Ford, keep that factory open for a while and maybe even make a couple bucks on the project!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Announcer being selective. 2027 one year, 2011 the other.

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Announcer being selective. 2027 one year, 2011 the other.

I was afraid of that. I always learn something here, thanks, Dave.