Automobile Mag Interview re: Benchmarking

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...gineers-benchmarked-the-ferrari-458-speciale/

More at link.

The Ford Performance team has high expectations for the new GT supercar and Shelby GT350R Mustang revealed at this week's Detroit auto show. Jamal Hameedi, Ford global performance vehicle chief engineer, explains how Ford tailored these vehicles for track use.

AUTOMOBILE: What cars did you benchmark for the new Ford GT?
HAMEEDI: We did a little bit of benchmarking with the second-generation Ford GT [2005-2006 model] and the [Ferrari] 458 Speciale. Those are really the two main cars that we’ve been benchmarking.

A: How do you want this car to be different from the competition?
H: It’s obvious that the car is very much a forward-looking engineering exercise. That’s really the big thing that we’ve made a priority. It’s an innovation laboratory, a technology laboratory. We wanted it to be very forward looking, to incorporate technology and be very efficient in everything it does.

A: Will customers miss it not having a V-8?
H: I’m not concerned. I think the last problem that we’re going to have is finding customers for this car. The EcoBoost V-6 is more efficient, has better horsepower and torque per liter, better fuel economy, more horsepower and torque per kilogram, and it’s extremely package efficient. It really plays well to the tapering fuselage of the car. It really was the ideal choice for an engine.

A: Who will be the typical Ford GT buyer?
H: Obviously, [2005-2006] Ford GT customers. They’ve done quite well with their investment! There will also be a lot of the hypercar buyers. They’ll look at this and see that it’s every bit as advanced as other hypercars, from an aerodynamic aspect, etc.

A: How does the new Ford GT compare to the last one?
H: The 2005 Ford GT was a road car, a street car. This is much more focused on being a track car.

A: Is it so focused that it’s compromised for the street?
H: Yes, absolutely. It’s really more comparable to the original GT40 than the [2005-2006] Ford GT, as far as the focus and what it was designed to do.

A: You’ve stated in the past that you’re committed to manual transmissions. Talk to me about the decision to go with a dual-clutch on the new Ford GT.
H: I think going forward, we do like manuals. We felt that in the name of efficiency and performance, there is no question the dual-clutch is more efficient and faster shifting. When you’re pushing the envelope so much, you can’t leave milliseconds on the table on every shift -- every upshift and every downshift. That’s lap time you can’t leave on the table. You have to take advantage of that.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...arked-the-ferrari-458-speciale/#ixzz3Ow27QGdq

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
These two things:

H: Yes, absolutely. It’s really more comparable to the original GT40 than the [2005-2006] Ford GT, as far as the focus and what it was designed to do.

A: You’ve stated in the past that you’re committed to manual transmissions. Talk to me about the decision to go with a dual-clutch on the new Ford GT.
H: I think going forward, we do like manuals. We felt that in the name of efficiency and performance, there is no question the dual-clutch is more efficient and faster shifting. When you’re pushing the envelope so much, you can’t leave milliseconds on the table on every shift -- every upshift and every downshift. That’s lap time you can’t leave on the table. You have to take advantage of that.

pretty much say it started life for the track and will be a street car afterwards. Exactly the route taken with the street Cobras and GT40s. Sorry if it's a little uncomfortable for you. :)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sorry if it's a little uncomfortable for you. :)

I'd say 90%+ of the mods made to FGTs would fit into the "less comfort" category. Cushioned armrests and tacked on cup holders aside, I think most of us are good with "..so focused that it's compromised for the street.." :)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
No cupholders here either. I didn't look at the steering wheel buttons but does it have cruise control? For Pete's sake, that's just part of the electronic module now. Oh, something last time about it being so extra special that it required boat loads of testing and certification that would have been the long pole in the schedule tent?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd say 90%+ of the mods made to FGTs would fit into the "less comfort" category. Cushioned armrests and tacked on cup holders aside, I think most of us are good with "..so focused that it's compromised for the street.." :)

I am in agreement. Frankly, I like the "stiff" surroundings. I don't like to have to roll in the seat. Ever driven a Corvette on the track? Those seats are horrible in turns. During Rally Spring Mountain I never felt like the car was pushing ME around in it like the 'Vette.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
A: How does the new Ford GT compare to the last one?
H: The 2005 Ford GT was a road car, a street car. This is much more focused on being a track car.

Boy, I've sure taken a lot of heat for saying about the same thing :face palm:

Love the new GT!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You've taken heat for incessant promoting of a kit car and denigrating of the real deal. Give yourself the face palm several times harder. :)

I seem to recall you banishing yourself from this forum.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You've taken a lot of heat because you're intentionally a dick to GT owners. I mean seriously, you got banned from FERRARI CHAT for it. :lol But I do give you credit; you got the de facto proprietor of IHateDave.com to ban you, which must have had him experiencing a Scanners-type head explosion.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I thought it was impossible, by definition, to be banned from IHateDave.com.

Although, if I was the proprietor of IHateDave.com, I would have banned myself too.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
You've taken a lot of heat because you're intentionally a dick to GT owners. I mean seriously, you got banned from FERRARI CHAT for it. :lol But I do give you credit; you got the de facto proprietor of IHateDave.com to ban you, which must have had him experiencing a Scanners-type head explosion.
A penchant for swinging on slow pitches coming right down the middle seems to get me in trouble...

Looking forward to seeing the new GT in race trim. Will probably be unattainable for a working stiff like myself but I am looking forward to seeing one in the flesh.

Last edited:

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
One gadget it's sure to have is a back-up camera, that makes way more street friendly than the former GT. I backed my first GT into my brand new Viper in 2006, never saw it!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It does:

attachment.php

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Backup cameras are being phased in now and will be mandated by May 1 2017, so since the plan seems to be a 3 or 4 year run it will be required before the end of the run so just as well start with it.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Where are the &^%$ 100 belly pan screws?? :)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Aren't backup cameras required by the Feds in 2018? I know they keep pushing the date back.