Autoweek Sources: GT return, Le Mans effort “confirmed”

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://www.fordgtforum.com/homepage/?p=104

Today Autoweek magazine is out with a report “confirming” the return of the Ford GT, as well as a full factory-backed effort at Le Mans.

Autoweek claims that sources within the program have confirmed that the new car will indeed debut at the 2015 North American International Auto Show, with an announcement of a race program to come sometime soon thereafter. Multimatic Motorsports, longtime Ford collaborators based outside of Toronto, is supposedly tasked with the construction of the race car and Chip Ganassi Racing, current partners with Ford in their Daytona Prototype effort, are said to be taking the wheel for a full Tudor United Sports Car season, as well as the 2016 race at Le Mans.

The CGR information would seem to have some basis given that just yesterday Ford Ecoboost replaced TelMex as the primary sponsor for 2015 on the CGR Daytona Prototype entry. A 2015 Daytona Prototype season backed by Ford makes for an obvious prologue to a fully loaded Ford GT return to Le Mans in 2016. It is said that veteran racer and Le Mans Champion Scott Pruett will be behind the wheel along with newly minted CGR driver Joey Hand. Who might fill out the purported second-car lineup went unsaid.

Whether Autoweek’s sources are correct remains to be seen, but thankfully we won’t have to wait too much longer now to find out whether they are right.

Full Autoweek piece here:

http://autoweek.com/article/sports-cars/new-ford-gt-will-race-le-mans-chip-ganassi-2016

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Well..... I don't see it but I do believe it.

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Getting very excited.

Vince H

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Well..... I don't see it but I do believe it.

Special glasses required for a short time longer.

Can't speak for Ford, but I believe the proper protocol is to receive an invitation from the sanctioning body before a formal announcement. But that is just conjecture on my part.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
LOL ...... OK but at this point I'm taking bets.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So if I read this they will use the Ganassi race team. Good choice. One unknown resolved.

Number two is they probably have the car and have for a while. To me it sounds like they will homologate the IMSA class car. It'll be interesting to see what the street version looks like. The race one doesn't have much room. If they do that then Multimac could be considered the manufacturer and would be placed in the small manufacturer bucket which would make homologation easier (selling 25 is a lot easier than 100). Would sales through the FRPP group like the CobraJets etc count for homologation? If so then they don't need to go through all of the NHTSA and EPA stuff too. It would make it a very quick process since the 50 or so of the FR500S and Cobrajets sold out in the first day or so.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
On the one hand, I could probably find 1000 posts by DBK saying there will never be another GT. On the other, I bet Dave knows a LOT more than Autoweek about what's going down.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I don't recall any posts by Dave saying that there will never be another Gt but do recall from time to time him writing "there's nothing in the works". The last time was awhile ago.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I guessing a front engine car with a TT V6 and independent rear suspension. Sounds like a super high priced Mustang with a new engine.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
On the one hand, I could probably find 1000 posts by DBK saying there will never be another GT. On the other, I bet Dave knows a LOT more than Autoweek about what's going down.

I wish I could figure out how to use the damn search function.

Been looking for an infamous post from DBK re: GT never being a collectible and/or values never exceeding $250K.

You win some, you lose some....but, yes, I'm sure Dave knows more than AutoWeek - hell, they just voted the GM Canyon Truck of the Year?? :wink

Calling Dr. Frank - Dr Frank......

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Been looking for an infamous post from DBK re: GT never being a collectible and/or values never exceeding $250K.

Hey, I want them to stay cheap. As long as they are cheap people use them! No fun sitting in bubbles. :biggrin

Allow Big Bang Theory to illustrate:

Sheldon: Look, it was actually designed for my vintage Mr. Spock action figure!
Penny: Oh, that's great, let's open it up and put him in there!
Sheldon: Oh, good lord, no!
Penny: Why? They're just toys.
Sheldon: Mint in box!
Penny: C'mon, can't we open one up and take a look?
Leonard: No! Once you open the box it loses its value.
Penny: Yeah, yeah, my mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. I gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I wish I could figure out how to use the damn search function.

You win some, you lose some....but, yes, I'm sure Dave knows more than AutoWeek - hell, they just voted the GM Canyon Truck of the Year?? :wink

Calling Dr. Frank - Dr Frank......

Now THAT I recall!:lol

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
From everything listed seems like its a new "Ford Racercar" v. "New GT"

Might be like those funny-car dragsters that put a sticker of car on shell

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hey, I want them to stay cheap. As long as they are cheap people use them! No fun sitting in bubbles. :biggrin

Penny: Yeah, yeah, my mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. I gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

This is Pulitzer prize winning material!!! I'm having to wipe away the tears of laughter to see the keyboard.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

Some times you are really funny! This is one of those times!!!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
AutoWeek is simply reporting on the new Vision Gran Turismo vehicle to compete against the Chevy Chaparral.

............:willy

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Can't speak for Ford, but I believe the proper protocol is to receive an invitation from the sanctioning body before a formal announcement. But that is just conjecture on my part.

Gentlemen,

For you, me, or even a well funded (in the end not well enough) team like Matech the above is true. But for a major manufacturer like Ford or Porsche willing to fund a full factory effort an invitation from a sanctioning body is a given. Martin Bartek (RIP) told me that the honchos at LeMans dreamed about Ford Motor Company returning to LeMans but didn't think it would ever happen.

Chip

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Some times you are really funny! This is one of those times!!!

Absolutely classic DBK!

But Ron, this is just parroting the actual dialogue between the TV actors. No wonder why it is #1....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, but who do you think approved the script???

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Yeah, but who do you think approved the script???
A couple of gay guys?