End of the road for Irvine Cars and Coffee?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The rumor floating around is that Irvine C&C (Rally II) is being shut down by The Irvine Company. Last gathering will be 12/27/14. Haven't seen anything official on this, but no one is denying it. TIC shut Crystal Cove down in 2006 and now they're giving the Mazda venue the axe. Shame as while it wasn't biggest show around, it seemed like it was always to first unofficial venue for manufacturers to show their new cars to the public in person.

Anyone know what, if any, plans are being made to find another location?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Why does the prospect of this happening remind me of "Harvey's" in Downey? :frown

('Probably too far back to mean anything to most of you...)

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Too many complaints from residents about loud cars early AM, particularly the health care employees who works nights and lives around the Mazda complex, it's a shame really, just a bunch of Doug and Wendy winners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFs0eyBcP7c

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
So it's official, Junior? Has it been announced or posted somewhere?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
IMHO it was on the decline anyway; lineup of cars and crowd was not one expects

Location was blah as well

sorry I missed the golden era of C&C when it's was in Crystal Cove on coastline

Woodland Hills SuperCar Sun was better

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
IMHO it was on the decline anyway; lineup of cars and crowd was not one expects

Location was blah as well

sorry I missed the golden era of C&C when it's was in Crystal Cove on coastline

Woodland Hills SuperCar Sun was better

So I've heard. I haven't gone in a few years, but it was nice to know I had the option of heading over while visiting my folks in Irvine. What are the other choices in the OC nowadays? I hear Lambo Newport Beach puts out a good showing, but it's only once a month.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
There's like 3-4 other options

Donut & Derelicts

http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html

Newport Dunes restaurant has a Sunday am show; nice spread of coffee/muffins etc

Couple speed shops host some too

Best bet is to join clubs of cars you have (Lambo, F, Shelby, Cobra) and they host nice brunches (booth babes too) at nice harbor restaurants; like once every month...U'll have too many even.

Last edited:

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I just confirmed with the organizer that 12/27/14 is in fact the last show date at the present Irvine location. He did tell me to stay tuned for another possible announcement before the last show (possible relocation).

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I just confirmed with the organizer that 12/27/14 is in fact the last show date at the present Irvine location. He did tell me to stay tuned for another possible announcement before the last show (possible relocation).

Thanks for the confirmation, Brian.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Thanks for the confirmation, Brian.

He was suggesting that next week may be the better week to come as 12/27/14 will be a zoo. He has already requested moe police presence for that day. It sure would be nice if we could get all the GT owners to attend before it ends at the current location (Ford Regional office parking lot). I suspect (hope) if anything does come about with the rumors of the new GT, there may be some other opportunity in the near future for owners to gather but I'm sure it wouldn't be at our offices.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
He was suggesting that next week may be the better week to come as 12/27/14 will be a zoo. He has already requested moe police presence for that day. It sure would be nice if we could get all the GT owners to attend before it ends at the current location (Ford Regional office parking lot). I suspect (hope) if anything does come about with the rumors of the new GT, there may be some other opportunity in the near future for owners to gather but I'm sure it wouldn't be at our offices.

I will be down in SoCal for the holidays and was thinking about bringing the GT down for the 12/27 gathering. As you said, it'll be a zoo for sure. But I can't make next week.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Let me know if you bring it down. I'm planning on being here for the holidays. If there is enough interest, maybe we can get some space reserved up front.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Let me know if you bring it down. I'm planning on being here for the holidays. If there is enough interest, maybe we can get some space reserved up front.

Roger that. I'll let you know. Any other SoCaler's here planning on going to the 27th show?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Any other SoCaler's here planning on going to the 27th show?

If back in town by then.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Crystal Cove was a upscale strip mall parking lot. Very cramped parking, no organization what so ever, if you got there early the car would get soaked with morning dew because it was across the street from the ocean and towards the end of the event the place became a zoo. The upside, it was a spontaneous car event frequented by mostly true car guys. Lots of exiotics.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Crystal Cove was a upscale strip mall parking lot. Very cramped parking, no organization what so ever, if you got there early the car would get soaked with morning dew because it was across the street from the ocean and towards the end of the event the place became a zoo. The upside, it was a spontaneous car event frequented by mostly true car guys. Lots of exiotics.

..........and don't forget all the hot honey bunny's looking for a date that strolled through.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
..........and don't forget all the hot honey bunny's looking for a date that strolled through.

Well I guess if you add 8yrs to the 2006 date then that explains the MILFS/cougars that now stroll thru; not to mention the GILFs that mentioned they remember when my 250 SL came out .... :-0

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Crystal Cove, if you got there early the car would get soaked with morning dew because it was across the street from the ocean .

This is the reality of living on water that few ever realize; not to mention the extended June gloom, may gray

The Mercedes Classic center had a gullwing that getting its chome redone every 2yrs b/c it was in HVAC garage under cover and on Balboa island; salt air just flogged it up

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
This is the reality of living on water that few ever realize; not to mention the extended June gloom, may gray

Morning dew! Oh the humanity! /sarcasm
I can assure you that no one feels sorry for anyone that lives in OC.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The hot-tub did come in handy....esp. After dark /weekends....