Transaxle Bolts

Billy J.

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2014
Gentlemen, I'm a new GT owner and my car only has 219 miles on it but I'm concerned about a letter I came across in the file given me by the wife of the original owner.(couple divorced she retained the car in settlement). I'm a car collector but this is my first GT so I will show my ignorance here about these fabulous cars. This letter from Ford dated Dec 2007 indicated that the transaxle bolts should be replace at no charge by Ford but I can't find any documentation that this was ever done on this car which was just put away as an investment piece. Is this something I should have done and if so where can I get these special new bolts?
Your info on this would be greatly appreciated as I learn more about this amazing car....
Thanks,
Bill

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think any Ford dealer can check if a Ford replaced the bolts. If the bolts haven't been changed they should be, unless you aren't going to drive the car at all like EP.

I recommend the Accufab kit.

Billy J.

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2014
I think any Ford dealer can check if a Ford replaced the bolts. If the bolts haven't been changed they should be, unless you aren't going to drive the car at all like EP.

I recommend the Accufab kit.

Thank You. Where do I get the kit?
Bill

Billy J.

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2014
Thank You. Where do I get the kit?
Bill

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Billy J.

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2014
Ok Great. Thanks again...
Bill

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That letter was sent to all owners. It was time limited and you can no longer get the service performed for free under warranty. Your local Ford dealer can call up an Oasis report to see if the service was performed. The is a VERY long thread here about the problem. The bolts can shear at takeoff/low speed and the half-shafts drop out of the transaxle and spew tranny fluid. You cannot frive car then and need a tow (flatbed). Search for half-shaft bolts here. Ford will furnish the parts if you want to do it yourself. Accufab makes an alternative set of bolts and washers that you can do yourself or have it done. You will need a lift.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
You will need a lift.

You do not need a lift. With normal tools and no special equipment other than a torque wrench anyone reasonably handy can do it in about 2 hrs. There is a complete guide on the forum, or PM me and I'll send.

matteuson

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
Just call Rich @ http://www.thegtguy.com/ , he will hook you up.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It's an easy fix. I think the Ford bolts are fine (as they researched and addressed the cause) but the Accufab kits use higher quality parts. It's overkill but why halfass it, when you can overdo it?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
................ divorced she retained the car in settlement...........

A fate worse than death!!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx

Haha - +1

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Gentlemen, I'm a new GT owner and my car only has 219 miles on it but I'm concerned about a letter I came across in the file given me by the wife of the original owner.(couple divorced she retained the car

Stay single, keep your GT, and date gals like my avatars....

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Kayvan, everytime I see your pics or your posts I think of this "tale".........

Male Fairy Tale

Once upon a time, a Prince asked a beautiful Princess, “Will you marry me?” The Princess said, “No!!!” And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and dated skinny long-legged full-breasted women and hunted and fished and raced cars and went to naked bars and dated ladies half his age and drank whiskey, beer and Hendricks Gin and never heard bitching and never paid child support or alimony and banged cheerleaders and kept his house and guns and ate spam and potato chips and beans and blew enormous farts and never got cheated on while he was at work and all his friends and family thought he was frikin cool as hell and he had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up.

The end

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A visual inspection of the bolts should also show if it was done - if the paint dots are still on the bolts it wasn't done. Your Ford dealer should be able to check OASIS to see if it was performed under warranty. It should list the part number that was used. Note that there were two releases of the kit, the first one would fail too. You need to get be sure the later kit is installed. Or use the Accufab version.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Who knows, maybe he got the Enzo.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Male Fairy Tale

Once upon a time, a Prince asked a beautiful Princess, “Will you marry me?” The Princess said, “No!!!” And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and dated skinny long-legged full-breasted women and hunted and fished and raced cars and went to naked bars and dated ladies half his age and drank whiskey, beer and Hendricks Gin and never heard bitching and never paid child support or alimony and banged cheerleaders and kept his house and guns and ate spam and potato chips and beans and blew enormous farts and never got cheated on while he was at work and all his friends and family thought he was frikin cool as hell and he had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up.

The end

Outstanding!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

Male Fairy Tale

Once upon a time, a Prince asked a beautiful Princess, “Will you marry me?” The Princess said, “No!!!” And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and dated skinny long-legged full-breasted women

Somebody has to do it....and I dont mind

ps, yes she's digging her stilleto La Boutin heels into that supple napa spinneybeck leather Knoll / Chrome bench...

Last edited:

Billy J.

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2014
Ok....Thanks to all of you for all the replies and info...This is a great bunch of guys and hopefully one day I can help a new comer as well....

Bill

Billy J.

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2014
Great info...I will do it...I do have a lift so I will take a look and check things out at my Ford dealer...
Bill