F-150 3.5 Ecoboost vs. 5.0 V-8. Want opinions.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Thanks for the explanation Chip.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
think u will find a spark plug on the regen
Not on mine - regen and piss tank deleted. Now that's a real truck, with real HP! LOL

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
For the record, Powerstrokes can be boosted as easily as the Isuzu.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Please sound off about your experience with the 5.0 4V DOHC V-8 and the Ecoboost 3.5 in the F-150…Chip

Chip or Kendall, one question as I just do not know.

When information is solicited on the new Ford V-8 designated “5.0 4V DOHC”, does the 5.0L offering in the F-150 really come with a carburetor? The old school designation “4V” stood for four venturies or in general parlance a “four barrel carburetor”. Is that what Chip meant and is the truck engine offering really carbureted? I would think it would be fuel injected or direct injected but will defer to those with truck experience.

Thanks for my edification.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

When information is solicited on the new Ford V-8 designated “5.0 4V DOHC”, does the 5.0L offering in the F-150 really come with a carburetor? The old school designation “4V” stood for four venturies or in general parlance a “four barrel carburetor”. Is that what Chip meant and is the truck engine offering really carbureted? I would think it would be fuel injected or direct injected but will defer to those with truck experience.

I believe "4V" stands for "4 valve"...or are you just messin' with us! :lol

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I ordered the 3.5eb with the max tow package.I am already prepared to be disappointed in the gas mileage but if it's better than what I get now I'll get some pleasure out of it
I am less worried about long-term ownership due to the fact I tend to trade them in every couple years anyway
My only wish is that it had automatic load leveling.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I believe "4V" stands for "4 valve"...or are you just messin' with us! :lol

Not messing with you Empty. I would think DOHC (Dual Over Head Cam) might imply four valves but perhaps not as one cam could actuate one or two intake valves and the other cam could actuate one or two exhaust valves. And if this architecture just operated one intake and one exhaust valve, the engine would still be designated a DOHC.

Perhaps old-school 4V carburetor has now been reidentified new-school as number of cylinder valves. Just asking if this is the most current understanding of the acronym.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Not messing with you Empty.

Okay then! (I truly thought you were!)

Logically, it's difficult for me to interpret "4V DOHC" to mean anything other than "4 valve(s) duel overhead cam(s)". As you've pointed out, it could mean something else...but, it seems highly unlikely that would be the case given the traditional association of the 2 abbreviations.

And besides, as we both know...I'm never wrong! :lol :facepalm:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Not messing with you Empty. I would think DOHC (Dual Over Head Cam) might imply four valves but perhaps not as one cam could actuate one or two intake valves and the other cam could actuate one or two exhaust valves. And if this architecture just operated one intake and one exhaust valve, the engine would still be designated a DOHC.

Perhaps old-school 4V carburetor has now been reidentified new-school as number of cylinder valves. Just asking if this is the most current understanding of the acronym.

I truly hate to see you guys struggle....:rofl:rofl:rofl BTW - There haven't been any carburetors in Ford's US line-up since, well, long before the Ford GT.

So here's a lift from Wikipedia that explains it pretty clearly. Scroll down to the Ti-VCT part, which I think Chip just condensed down:

5.0 L Coyote[edit]

The 5.0 L (4951 cc, 302 cid)[10] "Coyote" V8 is the latest evolution of the Modular engine.[11] Ford engineers needed to design a V8, specifically for the Mustang GT, that would compete with the GM 6.2L LS3 used in the new Chevrolet Camaro, and the new Chrysler 6.4L Hemi ESF in the Charger and Challenger. This engine had to remain close to the same physical size of the outgoing 4.6, and share other specifications with it such as bore spacing, deck height, bell housing bolt pattern, etc. in order for the engine to utilize existing Modular production line tooling. The result was the 5.0 Coyote, which produced roughly the same amount of power as its competitors, but with a much smaller displacement. To strengthen the block enough to handle increased output, webbing was extensively used as reinforcement in the casting, rather than increasing the thickness of the walls. The intake plenum was also situated low between the two cylinder banks to meet the height constraint, thus the alternator traditionally placed low and center was moved to the side of the engine. It shares the 4.6 L's 100 mm (3.937 in) bore spacing and 227 mm (8.937 in) deck height,[12] while bore diameter and stroke have increased to 92.2mm (3.629 in) and 92.7mm (3.649 in), respectively. The engine also retains the 4.6 L's 150.7 mm (5.933 in) connecting rod length, which produces a 1.62:1 rod to stroke ratio.[13] The firing order has been changed from that shared by all previous Modular V8s (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8) to that of the Ford Flathead V8 (1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2).[13] Compression ratio is 11.0:1, and despite having indirect fuel injection (as opposed to direct injection) the engine can still be run on 87 octane gasoline.

The Coyote features all new 4V DOHC cylinder heads that have shifted the camshafts outboard, which allowed for a compact roller finger follower setup with remote hydraulic valve lash adjusters and improved (raised) intake port geometry. The result is an intake port that outflows the Ford GT intake port by 4 percent and the Yates D3 (NASCAR) intake port up to 0.472" (12 mm) lift, which is the maximum lift of the Coyote's intake cams. Engine redline is 7000 rpm.[13]

The Coyote is Ford's first implementation of its cam-torque-actuated (CTA) Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (Ti-VCT) in a V8 engine, which allows the power-train control module (PCM) to advance and retard intake and exhaust cam timing independently of each other, providing improved power, fuel economy and reduced emissions. The engine is assembled in Ford's Essex Engine Plant in Windsor, Ontario, using existing Modular tooling.[14]

Boss 302 (Road Runner) Variant[edit]

A higher performance variant of the Coyote, dubbed Road Runner internally by Ford, is produced under the Boss 302 moniker used for the resurrected Boss 302 Mustang for the 2012 model year.[15] The Boss 302 receives CNC ported heads cast in 356 aluminum providing additional airflow and strength, and a higher lift exhaust camshaft profile is used. Valvetrain components were lightened as much as possible, including the use of sodium filled exhaust valves, while strengthened powdered metal rods and forged aluminum pistons were added. Piston-cooling jets were also deleted, which are standard in the 5.0 model.[16] Exterior changes include a high-mount intake plenum (as opposed to the standard engine's low-mounted one) with shorter runners to improve high-rpm power. Power is increased from 412 hp (307 kW) to 444 hp (331 kW), and torque drops from 390 lb·ft (530 N·m) to 380 lb·ft (520 N·m) due to the upgrades. The Boss's redline is increased to 7500 rpm, but has been verified stable up to 8400.[17]

F-150 Variant[edit]

A torque-biased variant of the Coyote is produced as an alternative to the EcoBoost V6 in the new F-150 pickup truck. The F150 5.0L receives a lower compression ratio (10.5:1), intake camshafts with less duration, cast iron exhaust manifolds, and revised cylinder heads and intake manifold (color change only, no difference in size or shape) intended to promote low-end and mid-range power and torque. The engine retains the Coyote's forged steel crank and piston-cooling jets but benefits from the addition of an external engine oil cooler similar to the Boss 302's. The changes result in the engine's peak horsepower dropping to 360 hp (268 kW; 365 PS) while torque remains the same as the Boss 302 at 380 lb·ft (520 N·m).[18]

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

Thanks for my edification.

Indy,

You are one of the most knowledgable motor heads on this forum so I'm pretty sure you're aware that Ford hasn't used carburetors since the 1980's and you are just having some fun with this. You probably know the technical specs of the metal the injectors are made out of as well. But even when you ask a question I learn something. Back in my 1970's Pontiac dealer days they referred to a 4 barrel carburetor as "4V" but I never knew or thought to ask what the V stood for. Now I know. As regards my query about good or bad experiences with Ford truck motors, the V designation popped up a lot as I researched web information and reviews and it always (today) refers to valves. Over the last 10 years Ford truck motors have been built with 2, 3, and 4 valve heads depending upon year and engine size. My old Expedition 5.4 has 2 valve heads and a whopping 260 HP. Later 5.4 motors have 3 valve heads. Other Ford 5.4 mills have 4 valve heads. I don't know if any 5.0 truck motors have had anything other than 4 valve heads but if so I wanted feedback only on the 4V motors.

I love to read motorcycle magazines and they also use the V designation to refer to the # of valves in a cylinder head. Cheers.

Chip

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Rex, Chip and Empty for the informative comments!
We all benefit from each others knowledge.

And I really had no other motive for asking the question other than the fact that I remembered 4V which you frequently saw on an air cleaner sticker (2V as well) indicating the number of venturis the carb had. And knowing carburetors have been absent from the OE community for a long time, it must have a different meaning.

The Wikipedia post-in was a very comprehensive description of the various 5.0 flavors of this engine.:thumbsup

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
:biggrin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 4,092

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
My new 2015 F-150 EcoBoost , Max Trailer Tow , 4 WD, Super Crew Cab truck is scheduled to be built on Feb 9, 2015 :)
andy (ajb)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My new 2015 F-150 EcoBoost , Max Trailer Tow , 4 WD, Super Crew Cab truck is scheduled to be built on Feb 9, 2015 :)
andy (ajb)
Andy ,What color? Did you get the big sunroof?

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
just got mine and u will be 373 diff is great but get better mileage at 55 with some lights that on cruse at 75 but it is a nice truck

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Ron.. I ordered the Blue Flame Metallic. XLT PEP 302A ( I have had that color now 5 or 6 times... I like it. I had Ruby Red Metallic last truck which is really nice too.)
I got cloth interior, tailgate step, 20 inch wheels (painted alum.), extended range fuel tank (36 gals), soft folding toneau cover, spray in bedliner,
max trailer tow with tow mode 6 spd trans.
Engine is 3.5L V-6 EB
Not a 'fully loaded' vehicle but should be nice.
What is yours? First Impressions?

Mopar - the Max TT gives me the 3.73 axle. First Impressions of your truck?

andy (ajb)

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
Ron.. I ordered the Blue Flame Metallic. XLT PEP 302A ( I have had that color now 5 or 6 times... I like it. I had Ruby Red Metallic last truck which is really nice too.)
I got cloth interior, tailgate step, 20 inch wheels (painted alum.), extended range fuel tank (36 gals), soft folding toneau cover, spray in bedliner,
max trailer tow with tow mode 6 spd trans.
Engine is 3.5L V-6 EB
Not a 'fully loaded' vehicle but should be nice.
What is yours? First Impressions?

Mopar - the Max TT gives me the 3.73 axle. First Impressions of your truck?

andy (ajb)

have only 600 miles on and love it 15.8 city did a 70 mile road trip run 75 on cruse and was at 15.4 hen i get off the highway took back road home was up to 15.9 love the truck going to tow with it soon 10k lb think the power is going to be there just not the MPG have been told it will get better after brake in about 2500 miles

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I got the fully loaded in white.The towing is key for me.Got the roof too but am having second thoughts on it