F-150 3.5 Ecoboost vs. 5.0 V-8. Want opinions.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I'm about to order a new 2015 F-150 and am having a tough time deciding on which engine to put in it. The 365 HP Ecoboost or the 385 HP 5.0 V-8. I finally drove them both pretty extensively yesterday (in 2014 F-150 4X4 crew cabs both with 3.55 axles). The Ecoboost was slightly faster but they would both smoke the tires from a stop and there was not a huge difference. The V-8 definitely sounded better and driving the same 15 mile mix of freeway and in town roads the V-8 got 1 more MPG than the V-6. (13.5 vs 12.5 MPG) according to the trucks mileage computers. In the 2015 F-150 the 5.0 V-8 is up 25 HP to 385 horsepower and the V-6 TT stays the same at 365 HP but the V-6 still has much more torque at lower RPM. The V-6 is rated to tow 11,500 lb and the V-8 with the same axle is rated to tow 9100 lb. With the GT in my Trailex it's about 5500 lb and my boat on it's trailer is about 6500 lb so either combo should be OK. The Ecoboost really guzzels gas when you step on it. I guess you can get the Eco or the Boost but you can't get both. The V-8 weighs 50 lbs less and costs only $400 less than the V-6 so the price difference is negligible.

Like DBK told me the other day, it's a tough choice. I'm placing my order soon and I'm leaning toward the V-8. Though it's less powerful at low RPM, it's 20 HP more powerful at high RPM (at least at low altitudes), seems to get the same or slightly better mileage, has a better feel and sound IMO, and I've had really great service from my 5.4 two valve V-8 Expedition that now has 200,000 miles on it and still runs and tows like brand new. The V-8 truck is a lot simpler under the hood and would seem to have less to go wrong (that V-6 is a tangle of hoses and pipes and coolers and wires and turbos). I keep my trucks for a long time and I believe the V-8 would have a better chance of going 200,000+ trouble free miles than the Twin Turbo V-6. But perhaps I'm wrong here.

Our members here collectively have a lot of experience with both engines in F-150s. Please sound off about your experience with the 5.0 4V DOHC V-8 and the Ecoboost 3.5 in the F-150, especially if you have put a lot of miles on one or the other. I'm interested in what you have to say before I place my order. Thanks in advance.

Chip

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Chip, a few years ago there was a car magazine report on the ecoboost vs v8 towing capability. It used I70 approaching the tunnels from the west (vail to the tunnels) as a benchmark. They were amazed. I haven't seen the article crop up for a long time and don't even know what searching I'd use to find it but I'm sure it's still out there.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Reply Part 1:

Chip, my experience with the 3.5L EB is similar to what you have experienced in your short test drives. The EB is a MONSTER towing machine! With my enclosed Featherlite (similar in weight to your Trailex albeit with maybe a taller frontal area), the EB would tow it up any hill at any speed that you wanted. In the LA to Las Vegas route, there is the famous "Baker grade". The EB towing a loaded trailer would just fly up that hill. I remain incredibly impressed with the power of the EB.... and even more amazed in that it does all of this at diesel-like RPM's. It likes to run below 2000 rpm and seldom ever needs to do anything above 3,000 RPM. Almost counter-intuitive of what a twin-turbo engine would be like.

So, as much as I was impressed with the power, the fuel mileage did not live up to Ford's promise at all. In a word, the EB fuel mileage was horrible. My friend with the same truck but with the 5.0L gets better fuel economy at the same speeds. My biggest beef with the EB was fuel mileage. A pretty consistent 14-15 around town. 16-17 at moderate highway speeds (65-70), and 14-15mpg at 75-80mph speeds. Towing the Featherlite, the truck almost always got exactly 10.0 and it didnt seem to matter if the trailer was loaded or not.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Reply Part 2:

Stop reading now if you are a dyed-in-the-wool Ford-or-go-home fan. I sold my 2012 EB 150 and purchased a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 EcoDiesel w/ the Limited trim package. I should first say that I am by no means a Chrysler fan-boy. In fact from a pure styling perspective, the Dodge was a clear last-choice for me compared to Ford and Chevy/GMC. But, OMG, the Ram ED is probably one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. In my honest opinion it is hands-down a generational better truck than the F150. I guess Motor Trend's 2- years in a row "Best Truck" award would say that they agree with me - or maybe it is I who agree with them. Granted, I am comparing the top-of-the-line Limited Ram to the Platinum trim level F150. First off, compare the interiors. Night and day difference. The Ram materials, fit/finish, and quality are so much better. The leather feels more supple. Creature comforts galore. Heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, front and rear parking sensors, rain sensing wipers, power-folding mirrors. I LOVE and use all of these features A LOT. Note: The rear seat room in the F150 is noticeably larger than the Ram - but the Ram is fine and you make up for it in bed-length. I like the straightforward remote start from the fob as well as from the iPhone ap (works at ANY distance). I also like the key-fob enabled "lowering" feature. This is the easy stuff to compare. But my 3 biggest likes of the Ram are 1) Engine; 2) Transmission; and 3) 4-wheel Air suspension. The 3.0L diesel is an a marvel. I am almost at the 10,000mi mark in my 4th month of ownership. The ED is my DD and favorite home to Spring Mountain transporter. But, no engine is good in front of a bad tranny and the 8-speed auto is simply a gem. We've all experienced cars that get the wrong gear at the wrong time..... but this eng/tranny have got it perfect. Simply a wonderful duo in this truck. Finally, probably my most favorite aspect of this truck is the 4-wheel air suspension. Feels like you are floating on air...... oh, wait a minute, you are! The ride quality/comfort - especially over distances is SO MUCH better than the F150! The air suspension lowers itself automatically at freeway speeds to improve fuel economy. (Active shutters in front of the radiator are also activated to force air around the truck.) I park in underground parking each day at work. No problem for this large, 4x4 truck. I just tell the suspension to lower as I am maintaining speeds under 25mph, the truck will stay in this lowered position. Want to go off-road? No problem, tell the air suspension to go up 1 or 2 inches. Finally, drop 700lbs of tongue weight on the hitch. Errrrrrrrr... the air suspension automatically levels the truck. Pretty cool stuff. So, all of this cake, but here's the real icing. I avergae 23mpg in city driving. 28 mpg at 65mph freeway speeds. 24mpg at 80-85mph freeway speeds. Towing the featherlight is about 14mpg. These figures represent a 40-100% improvement over the Ford. All-in-all, I really like this truck a lot and I never though I could see a truck as my dd.

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Chip - my last three (3) F-150 trucks have all been V-6 Eco Boost.
I tow a much heavier trailer that your Trailex (22ft enclosed that I can stand up inside-- you have seen it with the STUDENT DRIVER decal ) and after having all V-8s F-150's towing.... 1. to your home, 2.to Las Vegas ,3. Salt Lake City, 4.Austin Texas, 5.Virginia VIR International, I used the EcoBoost to tow to New Orleans NOLA... In my opinion the EB is the better tow package. ---power, torque, trans shifting/hunt but I am comparing to older V-8's. But once you order the "Max Trailer Tow Option" on the F-150 EB, you automatically get a different Rear Axle Ratio that really does 'eat into' fuel economy.
With the new Aluminum F-150 at 700 lbs lighter that should help. I drive about 40,000 miles per year at it is my Daily-Driver.

Needless to say, my vehicles will always be only Ford Motor Company units.
So , I ordered the new 2015 F-150 with the ECo-Boost. Put my order in back in June and not sure when it will be built or when I will take delivery . It is another "Blue Flame" color, Super Crew , 4WD , with Max Trailer tow.
Whatever you do order , we can compare notes next year in Detroit... Luckily , I will not need to tow very far. :):)

andy (AJB)

NavyVet

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Chip, I have a 2015 Explorer with the Ecoboost V6 and where I notice the difference is in the mountains and passing where I think the EB is superior. Mileage is not a concern for me so I can't speak to that. I agree the V8 is simpler technology, but acceleration was the what drew me to the Explorer vs. other SUV's (even V8's).

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
I chose the v8. I am not confident in the long term reliability of the eb. This tech is still very young with ford. Like you, I will probably keep this truck for awhile and have had very few issues with past trucks. There will come a time when there will not be an option, until then or ford proves there tech, I will stick with naturally aspirated.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reply Part 2:

Stop reading now if you are a dyed-in-the-wool Ford-or-go-home fan. I sold my 2012 EB 150 and purchased a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 EcoDiesel w/ the Limited trim package. I should first say that I am by no means a Chrysler fan-boy. In fact from a pure styling perspective, the Dodge was a clear last-choice for me compared to Ford and Chevy/GMC. But, OMG, the Ram ED is probably one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. In my honest opinion it is hands-down a generational better truck than the F150. I guess Motor Trend's 2- years in a row "Best Truck" award would say that they agree with me - or maybe it is I who agree with them. Granted, I am comparing the top-of-the-line Limited Ram to the Platinum trim level F150. First off, compare the interiors. Night and day difference. The Ram materials, fit/finish, and quality are so much better. The leather feels more supple. Creature comforts galore. Heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, front and rear parking sensors, rain sensing wipers, power-folding mirrors. I LOVE and use all of these features A LOT. Note: The rear seat room in the F150 is noticeably larger than the Ram - but the Ram is fine and you make up for it in bed-length. I like the straightforward remote start from the fob as well as from the iPhone ap (works at ANY distance). I also like the key-fob enabled "lowering" feature. This is the easy stuff to compare. But my 3 biggest likes of the Ram are 1) Engine; 2) Transmission; and 3) 4-wheel Air suspension. The 3.0L diesel is an a marvel. I am almost at the 10,000mi mark in my 4th month of ownership. The ED is my DD and favorite home to Spring Mountain transporter. But, no engine is good in front of a bad tranny and the 8-speed auto is simply a gem. We've all experienced cars that get the wrong gear at the wrong time..... but this eng/tranny have got it perfect. Simply a wonderful duo in this truck. Finally, probably my most favorite aspect of this truck is the 4-wheel air suspension. Feels like you are floating on air...... oh, wait a minute, you are! The ride quality/comfort - especially over distances is SO MUCH better than the F150! The air suspension lowers itself automatically at freeway speeds to improve fuel economy. (Active shutters in front of the radiator are also activated to force air around the truck.) I park in underground parking each day at work. No problem for this large, 4x4 truck. I just tell the suspension to lower as I am maintaining speeds under 25mph, the truck will stay in this lowered position. Want to go off-road? No problem, tell the air suspension to go up 1 or 2 inches. Finally, drop 700lbs of tongue weight on the hitch. Errrrrrrrr... the air suspension automatically levels the truck. Pretty cool stuff. So, all of this cake, but here's the real icing. I avergae 23mpg in city driving. 28 mpg at 65mph freeway speeds. 24mpg at 80-85mph freeway speeds. Towing the featherlight is about 14mpg. These figures represent a 40-100% improvement over the Ford. All-in-all, I really like this truck a lot and I never though I could see a truck as my dd.

Very interesting post. I am looking for a replacement for my 2010 Ram with 5.7 hemi, and have been looking at the ecoboost Ford vs another Ram. So, how is the towing experience (power-wise) between the Ford and the Dodge? Is the Dodge ecodiesel fun to drive? I know the ecoboost Ford is (test drove one). Does the Dodge seem to accelerate as quickly? Do you recall offhand what is the tow capacity for the ecodiesel? Thank you.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
V8 if you intend to keep the truck for a long time. That was the deciding factor for me.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Just my 02 but I am going with the v6 eco boost .Reason max towing and torque.Gas mileage is nice .For me its about the towing.Torque is king

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Have an eb in a 2010 Flex since new and now with 70,000 miles and also just acquired a 2014 FX4 with EB.
To me eb feels modern compared to the v8. Very quiet engine. Warranty replaced both the timing chain assembly and a wastegate on the flex a little while ago. Fuel mileage like an 8. Bought an extended warranty for the FX4 just in case.
Love the truck.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Also love the Flex except for the lousy f@$#|~€^%# brakes!

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Also take issue with government motor companies.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Anyone wanting to tow...American diesel is the only way to go. I have a 3500 Duramax Diesel Dually (uncorked) - and she puts down a cool 650 HP with close to 1200 FT LBS of TQ. Mileage is about 18 highway and it can pull 30K lbs easy and not budge off its line.

You know what they say "It ain't a truck if it's got spark plugs"...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Very interesting post. I am looking for a replacement for my 2010 Ram with 5.7 hemi, and have been looking at the ecoboost Ford vs another Ram. So, how is the towing experience (power-wise) between the Ford and the Dodge? Is the Dodge ecodiesel fun to drive? I know the ecoboost Ford is (test drove one). Does the Dodge seem to accelerate as quickly? Do you recall offhand what is the tow capacity for the ecodiesel? Thank you.

The EB will simply smoke the Ram diesel in towing and in the "acceleration-makes-the-truck-fun" dept. This is the key strength of the EB in my mind and I, for one, don't worry about the durability of the EB motor. I think Ford did a wonderful job designing and building this engine and with all the modern technology at their fingertips, they built a TT that delivers all of this power at low-rpms. In other words, you don't have to rev the crap out of the EB to get the power.

In the ED Ram, ironically, if I tried to maintain the same speeds as the EB while towing up steeper grades, the ED would run at an uncomfortably high RPM. The result is that for the steep incline sections I am compelled to slow down in the Ram. Take, for example, the aforementioned "Baker Grade". Towing a loaded enclosed car trailer (~7,000 lbs total), the EB goes up this ~10mi grade at whatever speed you want and doesn't seem to care. 65-70mph is comfortable. Same grade, same trailer and load and if you tried to maintain 65-70 in the ED - the RPMs would be in the 3200rpm range (~4500 is redline). The ED does not feel as comfortable. If I back off to run at 55-60mph, the ED will find its groove at 2200rpm or so and have no problem. Towing often and or towing up grades - the F150 with the EB is a CLEAR winner.

As to your "fun to drive" question...... hmmmmmm. Other than the Lightning, not sure I've driven a "fun" truck. Even while I enjoyed the great power of the EB, I never tried to drive/accelerate like a sports car. Uhhh, so why do I like the ED? I guess it just spoils you in quality/amenities. It's like driving a luxury car but with the practicality/versatility of a pick-up truck AND without having the fuel penalty. It's real easy to get use to 550-600 miles between fill-ups!

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Chip,

This past September, I bought a 2014 F-150 4x4 Supercab with the 5.0 V-8 and 3.55 limited slip axle. As I don't own a trailer, I don't have a large towing requirement and am quite happy with the power, cost, and simplicity of the 5.0 V-8. In fact, I never really considered the eco-boost.

I've only driven my truck for 2,800 miles, but I'm averaging 17.7 mpg. I have been very happy with the truck.

Cheers,
Waldo

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
The EB will simply smoke the Ram diesel in towing and in the "acceleration-makes-the-truck-fun" dept. This is the key strength of the EB in my mind and I, for one, don't worry about the durability of the EB motor. I think Ford did a wonderful job designing and building this engine and with all the modern technology at their fingertips, they built a TT that delivers all of this power at low-rpms. In other words, you don't have to rev the crap out of the EB to get the power.

In the ED Ram, ironically, if I tried to maintain the same speeds as the EB while towing up steeper grades, the ED would run at an uncomfortably high RPM. The result is that for the steep incline sections I am compelled to slow down in the Ram. Take, for example, the aforementioned "Baker Grade". Towing a loaded enclosed car trailer (~7,000 lbs total), the EB goes up this ~10mi grade at whatever speed you want and doesn't seem to care. 65-70mph is comfortable. Same grade, same trailer and load and if you tried to maintain 65-70 in the ED - the RPMs would be in the 3200rpm range (~4500 is redline). The ED does not feel as comfortable. If I back off to run at 55-60mph, the ED will find its groove at 2200rpm or so and have no problem. Towing often and or towing up grades - the F150 with the EB is a CLEAR winner.

As to your "fun to drive" question...... hmmmmmm. Other than the Lightning, not sure I've driven a "fun" truck. Even while I enjoyed the great power of the EB, I never tried to drive/accelerate like a sports car. Uhhh, so why do I like the ED? I guess it just spoils you in quality/amenities. It's like driving a luxury car but with the practicality/versatility of a pick-up truck AND without having the fuel penalty. It's real easy to get use to 550-600 miles between fill-ups!

Thanks, Kendall. For a second there, I thought my choice would be easy (ecodiesel Ram), but after hearing this information, perhaps not. Thankfully, all of these new pickups are so nice, one cannot go too wrong.

Sorry to get Chip's thread side-tracked a bit.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Gentlemen,

I'm about to order a new 2015 F-150 and am having a tough time deciding on which engine to put in it. The 365 HP Ecoboost or the 385 HP 5.0 V-8. I finally drove them both pretty extensively yesterday (in 2014 F-150 4X4 crew cabs both with 3.55 axles). The Ecoboost was slightly faster but they would both smoke the tires from a stop and there was not a huge difference. The V-8 definitely sounded better and driving the same 15 mile mix of freeway and in town roads the V-8 got 1 more MPG than the V-6. (13.5 vs 12.5 MPG) according to the trucks mileage computers. In the 2015 F-150 the 5.0 V-8 is up 25 HP to 385 horsepower and the V-6 TT stays the same at 365 HP but the V-6 still has much more torque at lower RPM. The V-6 is rated to tow 11,500 lb and the V-8 with the same axle is rated to tow 9100 lb. With the GT in my Trailex it's about 5500 lb and my boat on it's trailer is about 6500 lb so either combo should be OK. The Ecoboost really guzzels gas when you step on it. I guess you can get the Eco or the Boost but you can't get both. The V-8 weighs 50 lbs less and costs only $400 less than the V-6 so the price difference is negligible.

Like DBK told me the other day, it's a tough choice. I'm placing my order soon and I'm leaning toward the V-8. Though it's less powerful at low RPM, it's 20 HP more powerful at high RPM (at least at low altitudes), seems to get the same or slightly better mileage, has a better feel and sound IMO, and I've had really great service from my 5.4 two valve V-8 Expedition that now has 200,000 miles on it and still runs and tows like brand new. The V-8 truck is a lot simpler under the hood and would seem to have less to go wrong (that V-6 is a tangle of hoses and pipes and coolers and wires and turbos). I keep my trucks for a long time and I believe the V-8 would have a better chance of going 200,000+ trouble free miles than the Twin Turbo V-6. But perhaps I'm wrong here.

Our members here collectively have a lot of experience with both engines in F-150s. Please sound off about your experience with the 5.0 4V DOHC V-8 and the Ecoboost 3.5 in the F-150, especially if you have put a lot of miles on one or the other. I'm interested in what you have to say before I place my order. Thanks in advance.

Chip

Given all the above, I agree with you that the V8 sounds like the way for you to go for a whole host of reasons...whether 'reading between the lines' or not.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Thankfully, all of these new pickups are so nice, one cannot go too wrong.

Fully agree...... back to Chip's question maybe the real question to ask yourself is how frequently do you think you'll be towing? The more you will tow, the more you may want to lean toward the EB.... while keeping in mind the V8 will tow just fine. The EB is the towing king (hands down), probably followed by the V8 and then maybe my little 3.0L ED. Probably not a bad choice among them.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
DOn't forget that while the small diesel in the dodge may yield a 40% improvement in fuel economy, it offers less power and uses fuel that is 50% more expensive. Fuel cost is a wash between the two and the EB has much more power and much better fuel availability. Its not a simple comparison.

I love my diesel pickup but will likely never buy another one. They no longer make financial sense.