New GT effect on Values

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
WE all know one reason our GT's appreciated in value recently was because there wasn't another one in the wings...

Now, 10 years later there is. I am curious what you guys think will happen to our GTs' value in 2016?

No effect, increase (with the possible release of the LeMans Movie) or decrease?

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
No effect, increase (with the possible release of the LeMans Movie) or decrease?

Yes, one of those will happen.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
History tells us....

Gentlemen,

When Ford brought back the GT500 eight years ago it had no effect on original GT500 prices. When Ford built 4038 new GTs it had no effect on the 134 original 1960's GTs. Our cars have been out of production for 8 years and if a new GT is built now it will probably be very different. While it's true that cars in continuous production like Corvettes and Vipers depreciate as new and better models are continuously built, that does not directly apply here. The Ford GT that we own is magnificent for so many reasons and it will never be produced again. A new and very different GT produced in limited numbers for a limited time today will most likely have no impact on our GT values.

That's my take on it.

Chip

Last edited:

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
How any gears can you use driving around Hawaii?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ 2. Hi & lo.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
I would think if Ford makes a new GT, a decrease in price is in order. Better looking, more power, new tech, etc.
People will buy the new car and expect the immediate increase in value as the 2005-06.
A lot of 05-06 owners will buy the new one as well.
After some time, the 05-06 will catch up where it left off in terms of value.
Just my .2 cents anyways, don't even know if Ford is making a new GT... SVT must be pretty busy with all the Mustang variants right now.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Anxious to see the new one, but don't really care what it does to to values. Value??? Bought with money earned at the cost of most of my hearing, two artificial knees, and too much time working in some pretty awful conditions. Pretty hard to put a number value on that. Just waiting to snowbird back to Arizona to be able to go for a drive. Too cold here even to wax.

Also looking forward to the A. J. Baime movie of Enzo vs Henry the Deuce. Tom Cruise as Carroll Shelby?

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I would think if Ford makes a new GT, a decrease in price is in order. Better looking, more power, new tech, etc.

Better looking? We've all been to car shows and know the effect our GT has on SO many people. The basic design is nearing 50 years old, and still holds its own against pretty much anything out there. More power, new tech...no argument.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It will cause no difference in value as Chip stated.

Ed

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It will depend on the entry price for the new version (if there is one, if it's not at Detroit, it ain't happenin'). If as speculated it is 450K+, then the impact on existing GTs will be minimal. If it is 200K then ours will be impacted. So what? If it is a delivery miles car in a private museum you don't care, if it is driven you never expected it to go up and like a stock, value is only derived on sale.

I'm predicting, if the volume rumors are true, that the new vehicle will have production numbers in the 300-400 per year range, that it will be the former. Note GTE class homologation rules are:

Large vehicle manufacturer, 1 per week (52 per year)
Small vehicle manufacturer (total volume <2000 per year), 1 per month (12 per year)

To be eligible to race, large manufacturers have to produce 100 vehicles and small manufactures 25 vehicles.

So I expect Ford to be in the large vehicle class. Since a GTE car has to be "publicly available" to be driven, and since NHTSA and EPA certification is a multi year process, I will say again that they are behind for a 2016 introduction. But we'll see.

larry21

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2006
Knutsford UK
I wonder if there will be any European models again.

Either way I would be interested.

How can i get on the list?

Should existing owners here get first option?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
918 Does not seem to be hurting Carrerra GT value (I realize it is a different model)

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I think it will only hurt values if it has a similar look/external design. Many folks want the GT look.
If you add more hp, possibly dual clutch, traction and stability control, Nav, bluetooth ...., some potentiall buyers of 2005-6 cars will likely want it instead.
Just my 0.02, and as my wife tells me, I am write at most 49% of the time!

Adios

GT Owner
Apr 24, 2010
E. Washington State
I think Chip & Twobjshelbys are on the right track.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
918 Does not seem to be hurting Carrerra GT value (I realize it is a different model)

Could not agree more. It's my guess the new car will be a completely different animal altogether filled with nannies, paddle shifter, different styling and I'm reading maybe a TTV6 ?etc. The LaFerrari didn't hurt the Enzo which didn't hurt the F 40 and the 918 hasn't hurt the Carrera GT.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think it will only hurt values if it has a similar look/external design. Many folks want the GT look.
If you add more hp, possibly dual clutch, traction and stability control, Nav, bluetooth ...., some potentiall buyers of 2005-6 cars will likely want it instead.
Just my 0.02, and as my wife tells me, I am write at most 49% of the time!

Heck, I'd jump just for cruise control :)

Traction and stability controls are mandatory now.

As compared to the Ford GT, I'd expect that a radio with nav, bluetooth, iPod compatible, etc. would be a $10000 factory option. Or 249 at Frys.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
I think Chip & Twobjshelbys are on the right track.
I agree, there are many factors that will determine how the new model will affect the current one such as, price, volume, styling, HP etc.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I doubt the new car will be at all like the FGT from any standpoint. Certainly, from reports to date, its 'volume' and price point won't be. (Speculation is, what, 300 units [per year, or?] and $400K UP?)

'Apples and ox carts value/price/tech/volume/market/demographics-wise (etc.) between the two.

If anything, the new car may - may - cause an initial spike of sorts in FGT prices (and may create/establish a new, higher "base price" for the FGT) because of the much higher cost of the new car.

Just my humble (and totally unworthy) opinion... :sleep:

Last edited:

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Well, I was wondering about this because unlike many of you, I am rather an ordinary citizen with three daughters who are not yet married...etc, etc...

I don't want to sell my GT but I find a certain financial comfort in believing it will retain its' value even with a new GT on the horizon.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
one thing I think will boost the value of our cars is if the new car has a V-6, even if the V-6 has more power.

Tho I like the retention of value, having the value skyrocket just makes it harder to enjoy the cars. How many original Cobras get used anymore?