ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I have had a Trailex enclosed trailer for my GT for several years and really like it. I tried to look up it's empty weight on their web site but it's not there. A google search produced wildly different figures for their enclosed car trailers. Does anybody here know how much a Trailex all aluminum enclosed trailer for the Ford GT weighs unloaded? Thanks in advance.

Chip

Attachments

• Trailex.jpg
    Trailex.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Can't you go to a truck scale and get an exact weight?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
1,950 lbs.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Question for those with Trailex trailers: I am looking to purchase one but I am on the fence in regards to getting the heavy duty one or not. The heavy duty is a couple feet taller which would allow me to (barely) walk in the trailer without bending over. Is it that big of a deal to get the extra height since I am not living in the darn thing?

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Question for those with Trailex trailers: I am looking to purchase one but I am on the fence in regards to getting the heavy duty one or not. The heavy duty is a couple feet taller which would allow me to (barely) walk in the trailer without bending over. Is it that big of a deal to get the extra height since I am not living in the darn thing?

Usually anything related to the GT requires bending over. :banana

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

BAT,

The reason I spent twice as much for a Trailex as I could have for another brand was twofold. Very low weight and good aerodynamics so I could pull it fast. From AZ to Florida and back I had the cruise control set on 85 mph with my old 260 hp 2004 Ford Expedition pulling. I went the other way and had my Trailex built as low and small as possible to make pulling it easier. At events I put lawn chairs inside of it to sit but I need to bend over to move around in it which is no big deal for me.

It pulls easily and because it weighs half what many other trailers weigh I don't need a Super Duty diesel to pull it. I can't stand up in it but I can haul ass pulling it and that's why I got a Trailex.

Chip

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
BAT, The trailers Chip and I have come in four heights. The options are +6", +12" or +18" higher than the lowest model. I have 6" higher. Chip's looks the same.

I ordered the lowest height, but they had the +6" model built and they gave it to me for the same price.

The only reason to go heavy duty is if you are loading something more than 4,700 lbs. The HD carries 7,000 lbs.

Higher means more wind resistance/worse fuel economy. Heavy Duty means more weight/worse fuel economy.

I would have been happy with the lowest height (no jokes needed here), because when you are loading/unloading, you are down on your knees and belly working the ratchet straps.

The height you need is what will carry the tallest vehicle you want to trailer. Anything more is wasted space.

FWIW, here in Florida you don't need to title trailers under 2,000 lbs. The +6" Trailex is 1,950. You might check your DMV regs.

I pull the Trailex with an SUV. 17,000 miles in the past 1 1/2 years. It is a great trailer.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
1,950 lbs.

Excellent, thank you. I'm ordering a new 2015 aluminum Ford F-150 to replace the Expedition and I want to be sure I've got sufficient trailer tow capacity. All the best.

Chip

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Excellent, thank you. I'm ordering a new 2015 aluminum Ford F-150 to replace the Expedition and I want to be sure I've got sufficient trailer tow capacity. All the best.

Chip

Did you go drive them? Which power train did you pick?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The 6 ft. Trailex only way to goas it only sticks up 4 inches above a Ford Expedition and has very little wind resistance as stated by Chip. Extra height is useless. Oh, 1950lbs. is correct empty weight

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Did you go drive them? Which power train did you pick?

Dave,

I finally drove them both (5.0 V-8 and 3.5 Ecoboost) pretty extensively yesterday (in 2014 F-150 4X4 crew cabs both with 3.55 axles). The Ecoboost was slightly faster but they would both smoke the tires from a stop and there was not a huge difference. The V-8 definitely sounded better and driving the same 15 mile mix of freeway and in town roads the V-8 got 1 more MPG than the V-6. (13.5 vs 12.5 MPG) according to the trucks mileage computers. In the 2015 F-150 the 5.0 V-8 is up 25 HP to 385 horsepower and the V-6 TT stays the same at 365 HP but it still has much more torque at lower RPM. The V-6 is rated to tow 11,500 lb and the V-8 with the same axle is rated to tow 9100 lb. With the GT in my Trailex it's about 5500 lb and my boat on it's trailer is about 6500 lb so either combo should be OK. The Ecoboost really guzzels gas when you step on it. I guess you can get the Eco or the Boost but you can't get both. The V-8 weighs 50 lbs less and costs only $400 less than the V-6 so the price difference is negligible.

Like you told me the other day, it's a tough choice. I'm placing my order soon and I'm leaning toward the V-8. Though it's less powerful at low RPM, it's 20 HP more powerful at high RPM (at least at low altitudes), seems to get the same or slightly better mileage, has a better feel and sound IMO, and I've had really great service from my 5.4 two valve V-8 Expedition that now has 200,000 miles on it and still runs and tows like brand new. The V-8 truck is a lot simpler under the hood and would seem to have less to go wrong (that V-6 is a tangle of hoses and pipes and coolers and wires and turbos). I keep my trucks for a long time and I believe the V-8 would have a better chance of going 200,000+ trouble free miles than the Twin Turbo V-6. But perhaps I'm wrong here.

Our members here collectively have a lot of experience with both engines in F-150s. Please sound off about your experience with the 5.0 4V DOHC V-8 and the Ecoboost 3.5 in the F-150. I'm interested in what you have to say before I place my order. I'm going to start a separate thread to ask this question. Thanks in advance.

Chip

Last edited:

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Chip,

Thanks for the helpful info. Also, if you ever consider going to the dark side, I recently purchased a 2014 GMC Denali 1500 with the 6.2ltr engine in it and it pulls my work boat (6,100lb's) like a dream. The transmission is WAY better than the previous model as it hardly ever needs to downshift when going up moderate inclines.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I've had really great service from my 5.4 two valve V-8 Expedition that now has 200,000 miles on it and still runs and tows like brand new.
Chip

I know several people who believe in their hearts that only a Japanese vehicle is capable of doing this :frown